Expensive! :(

Hi people.

Been reading these forums for a while but I've only just registered.

OK straight out with the question,

I want to get 350-400 micros/minis removed from my hairline, I'm absolutly not interested in having more transplants, I get rid of these, I'm out of the Hair transplant game until I go bald or cloning comes along!

How much do you reckon I would have to spend to have these surgically removed via fue? (havent heard great things about lasers, electrolysis etc..)

Cheers

Sparky

Hi people.

Been reading these forums for a while but I've only just registered.

OK straight out with the question,

I want to get 350-400 micros/minis removed from my hairline, I'm absolutly not interested in having more transplants, I get rid of these, I'm out of the Hair transplant game until I go bald or cloning comes along!

How much do you reckon I would have to spend to have these surgically removed via fue? (havent heard great things about lasers, electrolysis etc..)

Cheers

Sparky

If you get them removed, you'll be left with scars. Which is the procedure, as I understand it, usually involved the extraction of old grafts and re-inserting them the new way, 1-2 hairs at a time to cover the scars.

In fact, I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to find a doctor who will only remove them, leaving you scarred, even if you request it. No plastic surgeon wants a patient out there looking horrible saying "Dr. Soandso did this procedure", hehe.

I know there will be scars, but will they be visible? I've seen lots of photos of people who have had micros and singles that have been removed, and I couldnt see any scarring.

These were from a good surgeon, no UK idiots.

They don't recommend him on here, but thats because I believe they had a falling out as it were.

I'd consult w/ Shapiro and Feller; and see what they prescribe, as it may be a bit different (from a cost perspective too).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

All I want is to get these removed full stop. I know it can be done, the scarring will be minimal due to the use of sutures and I'm a good healer. I dont have ridges or pitting.

The actual question was about what the cost could be, I know a lot of guys on here have gone through this sort of thing, so I thought they may have some insight into what it would cost.

Cheers

Sparky

i would assume that the cost would be half (if not less) than a FUE since the doctor will just be removing the hair. My guess would be $5 per plug. Ask Dr. Cooley.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Doesnt sound too bad, Suturing would need to be involved though to minimize the scarring, so maybe the suturing would take the time that it would normally take to re-plant the hair.

I would imagine you wouldnt use a stitch per site, just draw a stitch across a lot of them and do a several stitches like this.

At least that is what I have observed from pictures.

Do you have plugs because if they are just micros and minis I dont think youll need sutures .

Dr Shapiro removed 15 3 hairgrafts from my hairline and there is zero visible scarring.

Cant give you a price because it was free since I was getting a whole procedure .

Give them a call. They offer small fue sessions now .

400 grafts in right up their alley.

If I had to geuss I would say 2-3 grand

2-3 grand doesnt sound too bad, I need 350-400 removing so a few more than 15, I do wonder if I will get any little white dots.

Theres no plugs, this was a strip procedure, last one done 6 years ago, no 4mm punches used on me.

I just want rid of them so I dont have to get any future HT's. If after a scar revision I can get down to a number 3,4 or even five, that will do me.

Cheers

Sparky

I had a full transplant, but the removal of most of my old 'minis' was free. Personally, I would check into doing a 'small' FU procedure, to include removing the old ones.

I think Griffin in Atlanta does a small session like that for about $4,500 and Cooley in Charlotte does 1,000 grafts for about the same amount.

Mine scarred, but wasn't noticeable after a month or so. Therefore, I think you'd be happy with that part of it if you have any native hairs.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Is removing 350-400 small? I guess when these guys are doing 1000's it is. Can you still see you're scarring now?, the only hair I will have in this area will be a few original terminals and a fair bit of vellus. Now I'm just about a natural NW2, with no diffuse thinning at all, so doing it when I was a NW 1.5 at 22 was stupid, but I was desperate and naive, now I'm desperate to undo it. Meh.

Sparky,

My old plugs can't be seen now at six months. However, I had a FU transplant at the same time so I don't know how much of the reason is b/c the other hairs are covering the scars.

What I meant was, I think you'd be happy with a small hair transplant session, while at the same time removing those older plugs. Modern transplants performed by a world-class surgeon will NOT be detectable in the hairline.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Sparky-

Would it be possible for you to upload a photo or two? You know the old saying......

Cosmetically, depending on the size of the grafts, of course, it is our experience that allowing the defects created by graft removal to fill by "secondary intention" will leave less of a scar/deformity than if they are sutured closed.

From a surgeons point of view, ultimately my goal is to leave the surgical field so that in the end it doesn't look like I was there at all, if that makes sense (i.,e., a "natural" result). Although I completely sense your aversion to further transplants, ultimately (correct me if I am wrong) your goal is to have a completely natural look- even if it means less hair.

That understood, the fact that you did have the previous surgery places you in a situation that, given my experience, may be made completely natural via a different surgical plan. I guess what I am trying to say is, try and keep an open mind regarding "the solution" this time around- you pointed out that you rushed into a decision at an earlier age, and, -don't get me wrong-, removal of the grafts(thru whatever means) may be what is indicated- but first why not see what might be available now, thru the eyes of a couple of different surgeons given your situation-

I say this because in cases such as yours the artistic placement of only a relative few grafts can transform a "problem" quite dramatically.

Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Sparky,

You've already gotten some excellent advice.

And though it's certainly possible to remove existing minigrafts, there is a chance of visible scarring, especially if the scars aren't surrounded by hair.

I agree with Dr. Carman that as you consider your solutions, it would be in your best interest to keep an open mind. Todays hair transplants can look just as natural as your regular hair. And though I'm certainly not trying to convince you to get another one, it may be worth looking into since it may produce the most natural looking result while concealing the scars from the extraction sites.

Best wishes,

Bill

I've seen lots of pictures and agree that todays transplants look very natural. That being said, I still don't want anymore, I really no longer care if I go bald (really) I don't want to have to keep having to have touch ups in the future. I dont really care about the hairs at the front that were put there being lost to laser, although it would be nice to utilise these to go into my scar, after a scar revision has been performed, but then hopefully a scar revision will make it small enough that some fue could be done on the scar from my donor area to fill this.

Would laser destroy any natural hairs that are surrounding these aswell, or is it quite accurate? and does it really get rid of them or do they come back?

Cheers

Sparky

Also, my natural hair hasnt receded and left my transplanted hair on its own, so would a decent HT doctor be able to tell the difference between the Transplants and my natural hair when removing them. (I assume my head would be under a magnifying glass).

Is it really stupidly expensive to surgically remove these?

Thanks

Sparky

I will speak to spex, Dr Feller is definatly on my list, I would like a scar revision also which I heard Dr Feller is good at. I really don't want another HT to hide things though, I often spike my hair up when it is short and nobody has ever noticed that I have had anything done (including my wife, who I have only just told after being together for 6 years, she was totally cool about it and just wants me to be happy again)

Good luck to you for Nov 7th.

I just want them gone, so I can be free to go bald or whatever my destiny is.

Spoken to Spex, really nice guy.

On another note, on one of the New York Drs websites, thats recommened on here, it lists a price of $85 to remove a graft, is that a typo? That would mean a price of $29,700 to remove 350 or $34,000 to remove 400.

If thats the price, think id sooner pluck them out or laser them off and buy a Porsche with the change. (not that I have $34,000 sitting around anyways)

Well I only have micros/minis, so maybe this wouldnt apply to me.

Although it did say per graft, so maybe that needs to be a bit more clear. Whats the difference between moving a micro with fue, or moving from the donor with fue? If neither of them are stitched, it should be the same, or cheaper if the patient doesnt need them re-implanting like me. Just throw them in the trash.

• Moderators
Originally posted by Sparky:

Whats the difference between moving a micro with fue, or moving from the donor with fue? If neither of them are stitched, it should be the same, or cheaper if the patient doesnt need them re-implanting like me. Just throw them in the trash.

If you're not interested in HT anymore then why not put the removed grafts into the scar that you want to fix? Why throw them out when you can use them for that?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.