Cold Fee

Hi,

I am doing the hair transplant thing in 2 weeks...and am getting cold feet. Two questions that are revolving through my mind...

1-Is it REALLY natural? Do people you've never met EVER suspect you've had a hair transplant?

2-An even sillier question...does your barber/hair stylist know? What do you tell them?

Sorry for the irrational thoughts. Any calming advice would be worth its weight in gold!

David

Hi,

I am doing the hair transplant thing in 2 weeks...and am getting cold feet. Two questions that are revolving through my mind...

1-Is it REALLY natural? Do people you've never met EVER suspect you've had a hair transplant?

2-An even sillier question...does your barber/hair stylist know? What do you tell them?

Sorry for the irrational thoughts. Any calming advice would be worth its weight in gold!

David

Assuming you have selected a first-rate doctor and clinic to suit your needs, your concerns are not only reasonable, but they are totally FINE and you should not worry you much!

The best thing I would say would be to look at multiple clear, close-up hairline shots of people; ideally, from the doctor you've chosen. If you can, see about meeting one 1-1, which is fairly common practice, if you are still not totally satisfied that the "naturalness" can be there.

As for the 2nd-Q, it's tough to say. With regard to the quality of the hairs -- the recipient area -- I would say "no". Taking into consideration the scar, which can vary, possibly? As a stylist, though, they should be well-versed in HTs and I would be shocked if anyone brought it up *knowing* you had a HT; if it was brought up, it would be more than likely an innocent, innocuous question, and you could either tell the truth or say "old injury", and leave it there.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Here's my experience:

1) I have had many people comment on my great looking hair. The closest someone came to even noticing was, ironically, my boss. He said in a very kind tone "I was gonna ask you what you did with your hair -it looks like you had a magician or something." I just told him I am growing it out, and that was the end of it. Just wasn't expecting it from my bossicon_smile.gif

2) I've been to three different barbers, and they don't have a clue.

Hope that helps!

Its natural to question your decision all the way up to the chair to have your donor strip removed icon_smile.gif. LIke thana said, if you chose a first rate surgeon you'll have first rate results. Don't worry about the barber....until your scar fades, you can always go to another barbers shop. That way even if you have to tell em, you don't really care.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

About half of the barbers I've been to over the last 15 years have said something about my transplant. What pisses me off is a couple of them have talked to me about it while other people were in the shop. Had one of them not been a woman and the other a 60 year old man, somebody's ass would've been whooped! icon_mad.gif

But anyway, after my latest transplant from a good clinic using 21st century techniques, it's virtually undetectable now. This lady said something about it at my first haircut around one month post-op, something like "does that grow out like real hair?..." But now, I'd dare say at least 99 out of 100 barbers wouldn't guess.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

DeWayne is right. Current technique, a realistic treatment plan, and a compliant patient who has a good PREOP discussion with the doctor about goals and expectations should result in a hairline that does NOT call attention to itself. It can be hard to describe good hair, but we can all pick out bad hair results.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians