Review of Dr. Glen M. Charles Florida, Boca Raton, (Black, African,Afro, Caribbean)

tarikP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcEawrN4HSg

Dear balding or post balding friend,

I wanted to leave a recommendation for Dr. Glen M. Charles in Boca Raton Florida. First of all, I just want to say that Dr. Charles is an awesome person. I really believe he's a great guy, what a wonderful personality. I also think he's an excellent physician for any type of hair but my testimony today is really directed at people of colour, afro-descendants, people with dreadlocks, people with thick curly hair that may not be able to find much information out there on this particular surgery and as a result maybe very weary or reluctant to pursue it. The first thing I want to say is that you should ABSOLUTELY AVOID any doctor that tells you that this procedure is the same for all types of hair. This is NOT true. The reason why I picked Dr. Charles is because as I was doing my web research as you are all doing now, I read a lot of that very message, don't worry, doing black hair is no different than white hair. I decided to call Dr. Charles because I discovered that he wrote a medical paper on working with Black hair. When I called him up he told me that he uses a different technique and would be willing to share his paper with me even though he admitted that it was very technical and I probably wouldn't get much from it. I liked the vibe I got from him on the phone, I read some reviews from this site, all were very positive and then I did it. I went ahead and made my appointment. I ended up changing the date like three or four times but the staff was so great about it (Pamela is the best! thanks for being patient with me).

Ok back to what matters, my experience with the surgery. I was a little nervous the night before my surgery. What i was most worried about was whether this guy was gonna understand anything about my dreadlocks, i thought well maybe he knows about black hair on the micro level, but will he know what to do with locks?? I decided to take no chances. I carefully selected 6 medium sized locks from the back of my head from what i suspected would be the donor area (from all my research) i tied everything above that into a VERY TIGHT bun (not to be messed with LOL) and left the six loose. I also tied up the ones below to make sure they were left in tact.

The day of the surgery I was greeted by the wonderful staff, I went in to meet with Dr. Charles to discuss the details of the procedure. We drew in the hairline and we played around with it, my concern there was I didn't want sharp angles at the corners because I wear my hair pulled back, and visually that looks like a receding hairline, I wanted natural but straight across. He talked me through how he was going to fill in the sideburns that had receded to give a more natural look, something that i had not given much thought to but I did realise that that was in fact important.

The BEST PART of the procedure came when I sat in the operation chair and Dr. Charles informed me that he could successfully take out the donor strip with only sacrificing TWO dreadlocks. I came prepared to lose up to SIX so you can imagine how pleased I was with that. He went right in between the row of six and the row above it that was tied up in the bun and then took out one dreadlock from either end which would allow him to suture the space back together.

The rest was a painless pleasant experience. I watched two movies in about 6 hours of operation. It was 2100 grafts but working with black hair takes a little longer to cut up into the units and to place properly into the incisions. It really was painless. I have had more painful and almost even longer sessions getting my hair done at the natural salon when i get it groomed.

I am very pleased with the results. The angles at the sides did come out kinda sharp for my tastes and Dr. Charles agreed to do a touch up so I am very relieved and exstatic about that. I highly recommend this man for any patient but especially for Black patients if you are doubtful. I also highly recommend him for international patients. I flew in from Jamaica and the staff and Dr. Charles did a great deal to accommodate me and my tight travel arrangements. Call Dr. Charles. I'm leaving there web address: Charles Medical Group

as well as their phone number: 866-395-5544 from inside the US and +561-395-5544 internationally. Please tell them that Tarik the Jamaican guy sent you! Oh and wath the YouTube video if you haven't.

tarikP,

Thanks for sharing a detailed account of your hair transplant experience. I too have been impressed with Dr. Charles' work, and you will soon experience it first hand as your hair grows over the next year.

I'm sure your video will be very helpful to those considering Dr. Charles for surgery.

I also encourage you to create a hair loss weblog to document your progress with photos and then link it to your forum signature. For detailed instructions on this, click here.

Best wishes and Happy Growing!

Bill

Glad your experience went so well; clearly you're extrordinarily supportive and pleased w/ Dr. Charles....has your HT grown in yet -- you mentioned being satisfied w/ the result?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

No he didn?‚??t but I don?‚??t think laser could have lowered my hairline like the translpants did because there was no hair growing there before. I still believe HT was my best and only option to achieve my objectives. I can still do laser to enhance growth where my hair was growing before, he does offer this procedure.

-t

Hair hasn?‚??t grown in yet, it?‚??s only been 5 days. I?‚??m just really pleased with my experience to date. It looks really good, i don?‚??t have to wear a hat and as i mentioned i only lost two dreads.

I?‚??ll give an update at 3,6,9 months and 1 year.

-t

Originally posted by tarikP:

Hair hasn?‚??t grown in yet, it?‚??s only been 5 days. I?‚??m just really pleased with my experience to date. It looks really good, i don?‚??t have to wear a hat and as i mentioned i only lost two dreads.

I?‚??ll give an update at 3,6,9 months and 1 year.

-t

Congratulations tarik. I believe you've picked a top quality surgeon. I consulted with Dr. Charles, and he actually gave me his cell and answered a lot of my questions over a couple of weeks. I've seen very impressive results from him on here as well.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week