Retention of FU Hairs & Regrowth

Dr. Limmer or any other doctors who wish to comment on this topic, I would really appreciate it.

As the scabs from a FU transplant come off in the recipient area so do the tiny visible hairs.

If someone's FU transplanted hair starts falling out after 7-10 days compared to someone's hair falling out in 3 weeks. Does the 3 week subject have quicker or better growth compared to the 7-10 day subject?

Why does the grafted hair fall out sooner in some individuals than others?

Dr. Limmer or any other doctors who wish to comment on this topic, I would really appreciate it.

As the scabs from a FU transplant come off in the recipient area so do the tiny visible hairs.

If someone's FU transplanted hair starts falling out after 7-10 days compared to someone's hair falling out in 3 weeks. Does the 3 week subject have quicker or better growth compared to the 7-10 day subject?

Why does the grafted hair fall out sooner in some individuals than others?

Most hairs in the follicular unit grafts fall out within the first 14 days. However, often many hairs remain beyond that time period. These hairs even appear to grow a little, but usually still fall out shortly after. The time it takes for new growth really depends on the length of the individuals hair growth cycles, not how fast the grafted hairs fell out after the procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

Every case is slightly different and there is no way to judge how someone might respond. I would have to say I see no difference between cases where the hair falls out in 10-14 days vs. 3 weeks. I wish regrowth was the same from patient to patient. The reality is that a few have good growth within 2-3 months, while some it takes 9-12 months. Most cases, however fall in the 5-8 months time frame as far as regrowth is concerned.

Dr. Brad Limmer/jal icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer

I've had 3 FU procedures by Dr. Greco.

Each time, I witnessed shedding within 7-10 day period and fully shedded new grafts along with "shocked" hair within 3 weeks.

Needless to say, it all grew back and then some.

I am at month 2 after my 3rd procedure. There is no sign of new hairs yet, but I rely on my experiences of the past and know that all the work done on my crown will start to show within another month or two. Have faith...it will show!

TG