Stream of Consciousness

I am new to the network, and have posted a question or 2 before.

I have been reading a ton of info on this site and I love the genuine concern for the fellow man, feedback and general Q&A responses. Great site!

Here's where my off the wall questions:

1) Everyone raves about Feller but when I go to his website I find spelling errors, the photos of do not seem to be as impressive or as natural as other surgeons, and he has not won the amount of awards as Bernstein (rated best by New York magazine and others?) who is not as highly regarded? Just seems odd....not knocking Feller it just seems odd.

2) I have read that many people get a HT and are back to work in a few days. Is it very noticeable? From the photos I have seen it seems like it IS very noticeable (because of shaving and the rough skin area that remains afterwards) and my concern is friends and family seeing the transplant area...how many days or weeks do I have to wear a hat? Is there anyway for people not to know that I have had the procedure done?

3) I have a receding hair line #2 ??“ so it is not too bad and minor thinning in the front and temples areas. Does it make sense to get smaller "postage size" procedures done so that it is not that noticeable or do it all at once? Are the postage size procedures noticeable?

4) From this site it seems that Hasson & Wong is the best for hairlines? Is there a doctor of the two that is better than the other?

Thanks so much for listening.....

I am new to the network, and have posted a question or 2 before.

I have been reading a ton of info on this site and I love the genuine concern for the fellow man, feedback and general Q&A responses. Great site!

Here's where my off the wall questions:

1) Everyone raves about Feller but when I go to his website I find spelling errors, the photos of do not seem to be as impressive or as natural as other surgeons, and he has not won the amount of awards as Bernstein (rated best by New York magazine and others?) who is not as highly regarded? Just seems odd....not knocking Feller it just seems odd.

2) I have read that many people get a HT and are back to work in a few days. Is it very noticeable? From the photos I have seen it seems like it IS very noticeable (because of shaving and the rough skin area that remains afterwards) and my concern is friends and family seeing the transplant area...how many days or weeks do I have to wear a hat? Is there anyway for people not to know that I have had the procedure done?

3) I have a receding hair line #2 ??“ so it is not too bad and minor thinning in the front and temples areas. Does it make sense to get smaller "postage size" procedures done so that it is not that noticeable or do it all at once? Are the postage size procedures noticeable?

4) From this site it seems that Hasson & Wong is the best for hairlines? Is there a doctor of the two that is better than the other?

Thanks so much for listening.....

Speaking as a man who never had any HT done yet, I can honestly say that Dr. Feller is one of few docs I would let touch my head.

If you judge by spelling errors you will never get anywhere. Sure, you can look at the glamorous website some butchers have and what would you get at the end?

CATASTROPHE - spelled correctly, HUGE scar and LESS Hair.

I can tell you then, that somebody besides Feller himself did the writing on the website. Why? Because I've read a lot of his stuff on here and can tell you that he, thanatopsis and Bill are all the best writers on the forum.

Hell, I think Feller is probably too good of a writer.

You wrote:

"Here's where my off the wall questions:"

Are you sure you aren't just reading it wrong? icon_wink.gif J/K, by the way.....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Some people have gotten HTs and even girlfriend's have never precisely known; for most, however, this simply cannot be the case, especially if your timetable is but a couple of days. A couple of weeks, however, is a different story.

If you are shaven for the procedure, your best bet is to give yourself a uniform buzzcut when you get the staples/sutures removed, and then utilize a product like Couvre and/or Nanogen to conceal the scar.

At the same time, everyone heals differently: some might have noticeable shockloss in the donor region (which aforesaid products can help with), some will have nagging redness in the recipient area. It is rather unpredictable, but if you are dilligent w/ post-op care I wouldn't classify the recovery as truly difficult.

If you have very minor loss your best bet may be a session of FUE, which is an extraction method that in the right hands leaves pseudo-invisible scarring. If you are extremely concerned about someone finding out about the HT, and it isn't feasible to wear a hat and/or hole yourself up for a couple weeks this would be another advantage. The downside is that yield in FUE is extremely erratic and the field is wrought w/ unethical beasts hawking it for $$$$$ -- it's also a lot more expensive.

H&W both do great hairlines; I've seen more from Hasson, but all of Wong's have looked nice.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

To answer your questions succinctly,

1. Feller is an outstanding doc...he should be on everyone's top 5.

2. Everybody feels comfortable after different amounts of time. Some people don't like looking bald even if there is no remaining redness and choose to wear hats longer than others. The truth is, nobody knows how long they'll need to wear a hat, since nobody can predict how they'll heal and whether or not shock loss will hit.

3. I wouldn't do postage size procedures. If thats all you need, consider putting off surgery. In a few years, it will be even more refined than it is now (though honestly i'm not sure how icon_smile.gif).

4. H&W are top docs, but lots of docs do good hairlines. It boils down to who you feel most comfortable with, in the end.

Sounds like you've already done quite a bit of resarch. Good luck with your decision!

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel