I am VERY nervous about going on Propecia after dut Shed

I think I need someone to kick me and tell me to get on a DHT inhibitor. I have to be honest, I am very nervous to try it again. I tried going on dut this past year, and freaked out when I experienced a period of very heavy shedding (particularly along the hairline). Rather than sticking with it, I decided to get off of it. For me, dut just seemed like too strong a medicine. While on dut, I noticed I was sweating more, my skin felt oily, and my hair was brittle. Perhaps I gave to quickly, but I can say I don't regret the decision.

Anyway, I am in the process of choosing a doc for a transplant. I am 26 with a receeding hairline. I do have a routine I follow each day to combat future loss, but the glaring omission is a DHT blocker. But I feel very nervous that if I get on Propecia, I will see further deterioration of the hairline. So far, my family and my girlfriend haven't really noticed how the loss has picked up. But if Propecia accelerates the dropping out of terminal hairs (or other hair), I am worried they will notice...especially during the summer when I am outside and around the water.

Can someone tell me what to do? And sorry if I sound helpless, but as we all know, this process is STRESSFUL.

As always, thanks!

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

I think I need someone to kick me and tell me to get on a DHT inhibitor. I have to be honest, I am very nervous to try it again. I tried going on dut this past year, and freaked out when I experienced a period of very heavy shedding (particularly along the hairline). Rather than sticking with it, I decided to get off of it. For me, dut just seemed like too strong a medicine. While on dut, I noticed I was sweating more, my skin felt oily, and my hair was brittle. Perhaps I gave to quickly, but I can say I don't regret the decision.

Anyway, I am in the process of choosing a doc for a transplant. I am 26 with a receeding hairline. I do have a routine I follow each day to combat future loss, but the glaring omission is a DHT blocker. But I feel very nervous that if I get on Propecia, I will see further deterioration of the hairline. So far, my family and my girlfriend haven't really noticed how the loss has picked up. But if Propecia accelerates the dropping out of terminal hairs (or other hair), I am worried they will notice...especially during the summer when I am outside and around the water.

Can someone tell me what to do? And sorry if I sound helpless, but as we all know, this process is STRESSFUL.

As always, thanks!

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

• Administrators

Bball,

I know that Robert, who moderated this forum in the past had this same experience with dutasteride. But he stayed with dutasteride and in time it worked well for him.

I have also heard reports and read that in some patients they will sometimes experience shedding in the early stages of taking dutasteride or propecia.

This seems to be due to the idea that these drugs may cause the hair follicles to intially syncronize their growth/shedding cycles. Thus rather than the normal situation in which 20% of the hair follicles are at rest and the other 80% are growing the hair may all be in one stage or the other. But in time, if you stay with the drug, the hair should grow back even fuller.

I think you should consider trying Propecia to keep your hair loss to a minimum.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.