Who is responsible if things go wrong post-op?

Aquarius,

for some reason somebody compared one of my posts to yours (I don't know why) so I looked you up on here, because I had not heard of you as you posted before I came to this site.

I like your balls out posts. I read up on some of your back ground and I think you had a botched procedure a long time ago you were pissed about...right? I haven't had one yet and I'd like to know ALL of the details---both good and bad...

So, what do you think about the current coalition docs and if there are any horror stories regarding them?

if anybodies got them then I want to hear them...

I think thats what everybody is here for...

NG2GB -

You deserve a better reply but the secinct answer is . "NO" I am not aware of any coalition doctors that have horror stories , and believe me I'm always looking. There have been a few " recommend " that slipped through but were gone so fast.

I try to keep the focus off of me but my situation was not long ago in a land far away.

I think every case is different and should be looked at as such .

I have not gone through your posts yet but as I am scrolling I noticed that our fine moderator noticed you may be defuse thinner? Look.. there is no boilerplate hairjob,there are no two heads alike and it is up to you to use this site in order to prevent dissapointments to say the least.

Keep up the good research as knowledge is power.

Bill - that was not a sarcastic dig. You are doing a great service.

AQ

Also are you AA or is that just a cool avitar ? Cuz there is an entirely different protocal.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Aquarius,

It is a minor outpatient surgery. You can resume work the next day if needed, and healing time is quick. By no means does this imply any less risk involved or that a person should not do the groundwork.. Surgery is surgery and should not be taken lightly .. Newbies NEED To do research as I agree with you and this should not be downplayed as a walk in the park.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

I do not think it is ever advisable to infer that you can go back to work next day if needed. Bosley and MHR advertise this and I think it is ill advised and misleading. I think it should be a few days at the very least if not more. What if your job involved physical activity - scar stretch anyone?? While agree it is not major surgery, you are still having your scalp cut on and that is scary. Most of us were pretty nervous about going thru with a procedure and rightly so.

All - I think the question of yield is the big unknown and is too vague. I started a thread awhile ago about yield and how it needs to be tracked better. You pay for X amount of grafts to be planted, but how do you really know how many took and grew. Seems to me the technology is there to do super-close up camera shots of a square inch recipient spot - take some before and afters which could prove the yield. We hear numbers about strip yield at over 90%, lets see some documentation to prove it! I am not saying it is not true, I hope it is. I just want to see some proof.

NoBuzz

Aq-- maybe 1 in 10 have issues with trico closures where they have some inflammation due to the subcutaneous stitches--- we do not have poor growth 1 in 10 patients.

Of course, I am not privy to every conversation Dr. Shapiro has, but if 10% of our patients experienced poor growth, I would have to think I would be aware of it AND during the 2+ years I researched HT's I would have been aware of this high of a percentage of problems.

I reiterate, EVERY doc has issues from time to time--- and AGAIN, I am not aware of every patient who gets a HT with SMG or other clinics--nor will I likely every be.

As far as scarring goes-- virgin patients seem to experience the best scars, with each surgery the potential for a slightly wider scar exists.

Please note--some people just close invisible, trico or no trico and other patients stay red/pink longer, some patients heal slightly wider, some patients ridge.

In TOP clinics it is my understanding that these issues make up a very small minority of patients-- I don't even have a number for that.

If you are a repair patient, your risk of poor scarring increases.

Buzz--Dr. Shapiro does possess a camera and special lense to measure and count donor density(pre-op) and recipient area density in post-operative settings-- I do not know that he has ever documented this-- I honestly do not believe it has ever really been a question

When transplanting lower density--25-45 on completely bald scalp it is easy to see if everything grows.

Anyway, I wanted to take the time to answer this thread b/c I believe we get lulled into a false sense of security-- this is a simple procedure in the hands of the competent, but there can be complications in the best of settings--- that is my only point here--

Docs like Shapiro, Hasson, Wong, etc... have been around long enough for us to get a pretty solid sample of results, patient care, etc... so do your research and put yourself in the BEST position to succeed.

This should not be an ugly thread, nor a thread to frighten anyone-- and I hope by responding to this thread everyone who reads it comes away better informed.

Take Care and Merry Christmas!!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

10% is ludicrous Aq. I researched Shapiro for 2 years before I made the jump, and I only found 2 cases out of hundreds where the patients weren't 100% happy. Mudpuppy, who felt Dr. Shapiro should have gone for a larger session, and M&M, who would tell you himself that its not even that hes not happy, he just felt his scar was a bit wider than he wanted.

Can you show me any more?

Any more. Any forum.

I'm not sure what happened to you bro, but I'm sorry if you had a bad experience. Respectfully though, it seems like you like to do a bit of scare-tactics. My HT was NOT open heart surgery.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

There is no hard evidence to suggest that any of our coalition physicians produce 10% dissatisfied patients.

Personally, I have found that if there are problem people at a clinic (surgeon or technicians), dissatisfied patients will be commonplace.

But even the best of surgeons and surgical staff do not have a 1000 batting average. Complications CAN happen with any surgery and I have seen it even with our coalition physicians (even though extremely rare). In the hands of the elite however, complications and risks are minimized and hair growth yield skyrockets. In addition, when complications arise, those ethical hair restoration physicians (part of what is necessary to be categorized with the elite in my opinion) will take care of their patients and not cower behind credentials or past successes. Because we only recommend ethical physicians that produce quality results, any surgeon that refuse to help or even intimidate patients when complications arise will NOT remain recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. This is yet another reason why patient feedback is vital to this online community.

I wil also add that I do not consider any surgery minor, especially not FUT/FUSS.

Though it may be possible to return to work the next day depending on your job responsibilities, I would not advise it. Desk jobs can be resumed somewhat quickly, but I personally feel it is good to give yourself as much time to rest as your work will allow.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas!

Bill

If I could please clarify . There is no way I even infered that a coalition doctor has anywhere near a 10% (actual) complication rate the yield is an entirely seperate thing although this is dissapointing I do not consider this a complication if all other things are in place including patient selecton.

Please un- spin this as it is starting to look as though I am throwing stones at arguably the best doctor on the planet.

B-Spot - Excuse my vitrole my eye was twitching at the time.

The rest I will leave as it is a non- issue and will be in my book.

Emu -Scare tactics perhaps. But the common denominator of unhappy all the way to botched ones has been . "I wish I had look just on more time" as opposed to "I wish I had done it sooner"

Also , Congratultions and I am sure it is going to be great.

Peace on Earth

AQ

Aq-- I did not take offense to anything you said---nor do have any issues with you whatsover brother!

No problems over on my side of the fence!

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Merry Christmas

My point of going back to work the next day is to illustrate that the surgery is a minor one; physically. This is based on comparing it to a nose job, breast implant, etc. where you could not physically. After all three of mine, I was walkig around shopping, and doing normal non strenuous daily activities. Common sense would imply if you have a physical job as construction work , etc. you cannot.. Of course cosmetically, you might want to wait 8 - 10 days as I have always stated.

The surgery relatively is not a major medical procedure. Again though, this does not downplay someone needing to contemplate risks or possible complications just as any medical procedure can present..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Well if you were walking around shopping you were not at work were you? I guess if you are a shopper sans anyones observations your okay then . thanks for the clarifcation.

You are losing ground and gaining my attention.

Like I said before MRBJ. IMO .

Either that or IMSO ( In My Subjective Opinion)since you seem to think you are inviolet.

I'd like to add couple points....

When it comes to percentages for growth, shouldn't it really be 100%. If the doctor is taking every precaution - such as - using high magnification loopes for strip harvesting and making recipient site incisions, utilizing technicians to cut under microscopes to minimize transections, having experienced and skilled techs who know how to handle the grafts to not crush or have the grafts dry out and to plant the grafts delicately, it should all add to getting the maximum growth. Unfortunately, the only way we can tell 100% growth is when a completely bald patient comes back with a nice even distribution of hairs with the expected density. Dr. Shapiro has given countless lectures on this topic. There are many doctors researching and researching to find the density that will yield the optimal growth too. Dr. Beehner first comes to mind who's shared his studies on this topic.

The other point is percentage of unsatisfied patients. One of my responsibilities here at SMG is answering and addressing patients concerns post operatively. It would be a full time job in itself if we had 10% dissatisfaction rate. I shudder the thought as my job would not be a pleasant one and I probably would have left this job by now. instead, I'm proud of looking back at 12 years of helping Dr. Shapiro attain 99.9% satisfied patients. Most of my phone and forum pm's concerns I address are patients that are not even SMG's. Otherwise, I basically answer the same routine questions on post op care.

HAPPY NEW YEAR -- EVERYONE!!!

I did not go back to work for cosmetic reasons but again we are talking about the ability for someone to function in a non acitve setting. I am not suggesting anyone go back to work the next day rather you can function if you have a non strenuous job.. I did do work from home as many people can and do..

Example : Ac

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Aquarius,

My reasons for not going to work were sheerly cosmetic and I actually worked from a hotel and home. I am not saying to go back to work as I have taken from 7 -10 days off during all 3 of my HT's .. My point is to explain it does not leave you bed ridden and that someone such as an accountant could indeed resume work the next day. I always tell people to take time off BUT if they have a non strenuous position and on't care about cosmetics they can.

As far as losing ground, this is not a contest for me, or to gain gain approval from others. It is to inform and help others see the truth of whats in stored for them. I bring the facts as I have had 3 HT's .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb is correct.

Depending on the job, technically speaking you MAY be able to go back to work the next day. My first day post-op from my third hair transplant was spent in airports, walking around, being very uncomfortable. I would have welcomed sitting at my desk at work over being in airports and traveling all day.

Personally however, I feel that it is best to at least take a few days and lay low and take it easy. This isn't to say that you have to remain in bed, but giving your body the rest it needs to heal is always helpful. This is especially true for the first couple of days as the blood is rushing to the donor wound to bring healing.

Happy New Year everyone!

Bill