Hello everyone. I have a few questions that I hope to get some feedback on. I'm looking to get a FUE. I'm thinking about 600 - 800 grafts. I realize that there have been other posts regarding this topic, but they didn't quite answer all my questions, so I thought I'd create this post. Hope that's okay.

Here are my questions:

1. Is 600 - 800 grafts is still reasonable for FUE?

2. Doctors. I have been reading messages and looking at the results posted by patients and doctors, but still wanted to get some feedback from you all on who the best FUE doctor in the United States is or list of doctors if have multiple suggestions.

3. I have heard people mention that doctor so-and-so was too conservative for their taste. Is this in regards to the number of grafts, the placement of the grafts, or something else. Could anyone who has had such a thought please explain?

4. What is the time frame I should wait between transplants?

Thanks for the help guys.

Hello everyone. I have a few questions that I hope to get some feedback on. I'm looking to get a FUE. I'm thinking about 600 - 800 grafts. I realize that there have been other posts regarding this topic, but they didn't quite answer all my questions, so I thought I'd create this post. Hope that's okay.

Here are my questions:

1. Is 600 - 800 grafts is still reasonable for FUE?

2. Doctors. I have been reading messages and looking at the results posted by patients and doctors, but still wanted to get some feedback from you all on who the best FUE doctor in the United States is or list of doctors if have multiple suggestions.

3. I have heard people mention that doctor so-and-so was too conservative for their taste. Is this in regards to the number of grafts, the placement of the grafts, or something else. Could anyone who has had such a thought please explain?

4. What is the time frame I should wait between transplants?

Thanks for the help guys.

600-800 is an ideal number for FUE. I would recommend you research and do thorough consults with Dr. Feller and Dr. Ron Shapiro. Generally, when someone mentions a doc being "too conservative" it is with regard to # of grafts; someone "too aggressive" can also be # of grafts, but also in regard to hairline design.

Quite often, FWIW, I think the descriptor "too conservative" isn't really even fitting, and it isn't an honest issue of being conservative or not conservative. My 2cents on that.

Usually you wanna wait a ~year or so between FUT; with FUE, though, you can go back realllllly quickly. Oftentimes, an FUE goal will be taken care of in subsequent days; I'm not *exactly* sure on this, but I think it's kosher to have separate FUE surgeries after but a couple month wait.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by HairHope:

Go 1000-1200, you won't regret it.

HairHope, I don't really want to sound negative but how did you end up having such a firm suggestion? You have no knowledge of how bald he is, his history, his age. What if this guy is in his early 20s with a SLIGHTLY receding hair line and 800 grafts should be enough to thicken it up. Or what if he is NW4-5 and even 1200 will not be enough. Not saying you are wrong, just saying there are many factors you didn't account for.

I was discussing the minimum, not the maximum and I stand on my statement that 600 Fue is a waste of time, have you had FUE?

Originally posted by HairDew:
Originally posted by HairHope:

Go 1000-1200, you won't regret it.

HairHope, I don't really want to sound negative but how did you end up having such a firm suggestion? You have no knowledge of how bald he is, his history, his age. What if this guy is in his early 20s with a SLIGHTLY receding hair line and 800 grafts should be enough to thicken it up. Or what if he is NW4-5 and even 1200 will not be enough. Not saying you are wrong, just saying there are many factors you didn't account for.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Originally posted by thanatopsis_awry:

600-800 is an ideal number for FUE. I would recommend you research and do thorough consults with Dr. Feller and Dr. Ron Shapiro. Generally, when someone mentions a doc being "too conservative" it is with regard to # of grafts; someone "too aggressive" can also be # of grafts, but also in regard to hairline design.

Quite often, FWIW, I think the descriptor "too conservative" isn't really even fitting, and it isn't an honest issue of being conservative or not conservative. My 2cents on that.

Usually you wanna wait a ~year or so between FUT; with FUE, though, you can go back realllllly quickly. Oftentimes, an FUE goal will be taken care of in subsequent days; I'm not *exactly* sure on this, but I think it's kosher to have separate FUE surgeries after but a couple month wait.

Hello. I've been absent for a while. Work has a way of doing that to you.

To answer some of the questions. I'm in my 40's, so I'm thinking 600 - 800 will do what I'm looking for. If not, it's not a huge investment and I can always come back.

Ok, so you say Dr Feller and Shapiro. I've heard of Dr Feller doing FUE, but I didn't realize Dr Shapiro was doing FUE. Has he been doing it long?

Consultations. How do these work. I presume they are done email or over the phone? Other than price, what type of questions would you recommend asking. Maybe a better approach would be to tell me how your consultations went.

Thanks again.

Hey,

I do agree w/ HairHope that 600-800 isn't a lot of grafts -- and unless you have truly minimal loss, this likely won't satisfy you. 600-800 *is* performed by FUE quite often, though, and quite well, when you're dealing with like temple refinement or gaps. The # of grafts is ultimately something you'd want to decide with your own research and the advice of a doctor.

I want to say Shapiro has been doing FUE consistently for like ~6+ months...don't quote me on that, though....FUE is "new" to them, and they don't have many grown-out results ready to show, but all signs looks very positive and they should have the proof and pudding real soon.

You can do consults in person or over the phone/internet. Get a bunch of good pics taken of your hair -- angles, styles, etc....you'll give these to them, along with your age, history of hairloss, and your goals. Likely, they'll get back to you with a battleplan and graft (and price quote). This is the meat of a consult. In addition to this, you should do your own research into the procedure and results/FUE from the clinics in question.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!