Body Hair Transplants (BHT) revisited 2011

jayc

Hi all,

I know this is not a new topic on this forum, and it comes with strong opinions of efficacy, cost, and outcome. However, just wanted to revisit this topic for those of us who are lacking donor scalp hair. Searching pubmed.gov there is very peer reviewed material on the topic.

Surgeons -

1. Any updates on BHT at your recent ISHRS conference?

Any new innovations, equipment? Are certain areas of the body better for transplant - ie beard vs chest vs nape vs extremity vs back; factors that you may have determined that improve yield.

2. If you are performing BHT: how many cases have you performed, what is your expected yield?

Patients -

1. If body hair transplants were utilized on your scalp:

what part of the body were the follicles removed from, how many, how do you feel about the yield and cosmetic outcome

(You don't have to mention your doc, but if you want to you are welcome to)

I've had a few (100 or so ) body hair transplants placed utilizing my chest hair. I'm not sure about the yield as they were mixed with scalp hair. However, there are thinner appearing hairs in the region of the mid scalp that look different from my other grafts and may be a result of the BHT from chest. Its really hard to estimate a yield.

spex- i follow ya buddy. I've seen alan about his concern regarding this, and at times going to battle with those proponents of BHT (Umar). I agree where are the photos. What is the success rate? Good questions.

Nevertheless, I don't agree that giving a Norwood 6/7 guy a frontal hairline and completely neglecting the crown is cosmetically sound. Often it is these patients that are also too far ahead to be helped by propecia, so no help there either. Going bald is probably better than going on for a traditional strip or FUE scalp. COnsidering the circumstances some of us are willing to risk BHT.

Innovators like Feller must find a way to increase donor supply for a cosmetically sound outcome. People are still hesitant about FUE scalp yield, and although it still has hurdles, the technique seems to have improved with improved instruments and training. Those well trained in FUE seem to be getting a higher yield. Hopefully the same will go for BHT, or there will be a way to duplicate scalp hair to increase donor supply.