Shock loss

Has anyone gone bald from shock loss?

My hair has definetly been thinning through the years but pretty full Through out my head, the worst was a receding hair line.

Im about 3 weeks post op and have been going through shock loss or so Im told from the first week. I have lost a tremendous amount of hair in fact I look like Im going totally bald... Has anyone been through this before?

I am feeling terrible about my decision of having a HT and it looks like I will be bald before the shock loss actually stops.

Please share your story or pics if you have one....

Thank you

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you on a DHT blocker? That helps tremendously against shock loss.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I totally understand I have not been out of the house with out a hat since the surgery.

So I'm gonna have to go hat shopping soon :)

When did your shock loss start/stop

Was it just in that area? Or all over

This is the worst because I looked fine pre op n now I'm I'm like what did I do to my self!

It is a highly regarded surgeon on this network but At this point I'd rather leave the dr. Name out until I see what goes on with results.

They did not shave the recipient area.

I'm about 3 weeks out right now and hope the shock loss

Stops soon.

Were you on propecia of anything else that might help

Hey thanks for the info...

I was shedding bad before the use of nizoral.

So out of desperation starting trying everything even the nizoral.

I was only using it 2/3 times a week but now will stop for sure.

Any suggestion for shampoo??

es31 check my pictures pal in my signiture below and see if you had as much hair on top as me pre op. I'm at 4 weeks and am virtually bald on top right now, obviously i shaved my full head for surgery and my sides have grown back thick which makes the top look worse with the contrast but i can see all the little black dots on the top of my scalp which are my existing pre op hairs regrowing after shockloss. It's all normal just chil winston stressing wont help!

Ps i have a lot of shockloss around the scar that now has little hair dots starting to regrow in the bald areas again.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

bonkerstonker

I definitely had more hair across the top of my head than your post op pics from 3/28/11 I have more of a receeded hairline (temporal) area.

I kinda stopped stressing as much about it cause what will be will be... Plus all the positive feedback helped.

I appreciate you sharing your story and pics.

the shedding slowed down its not as drastic as in the first couple of weeks. what was the date of your surgery? I think we are pretty close in date mine being on 3/29/11 we should keep contact and share further results, concerns or whatever

Mine was the 23,3,11. The shockloss is a pain mate I look totally bald right now but I'm a ht veteran I've been on sites for over ten years that's why I'm so relaxed I know the drill and I know the future that's why I thought I should confirm to you you're gonna be ok.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• 1 year later...

Im about 2 years post op If I remember right at about 5 and 6 month shock loss totally stopped and hair started to all regrow. Its a hard period to go through but by the 10th month I was extremely happy with my results. Its been about 2 years exactly and I couldn't be happier with my results. Hang in there

Thanks so much for the response. Man I'm 3 months and these are. Some dark ass days let me tell you. If its ok let me ask you couple more questions:

So to be clear shock loss didn't even START to regrow until month 5 or 6?

Also how do you know it wasn't new grafts growing in and it was shockloss recover? I ask because I have zero. Faith new grafts will grow.

Thannks again for getting back to me.

You ain't kidding toss were some dark ass days .

As you put it. At this point I remember questioning my decision and having surgery

But take it from me as I was with BALD spots from shock loss and everything regrew.

I have compassion to what your going through but there is light at the end if the tunnel do to speak,

To answer your question:

Shock loss probably stopped about 3-4 months completely

By 5-6 hair was already growing to where it was a noticeable difference.

I know it was not just implanted hair be cause shock loss happened all over not just where Implants were placed.

As long as you went to a reputable surgeon I'm sure you will be fine.

Honest by 7& 8 month I was back on track and felt good about my decision

By the 10th month I was flaunting my new head a hair lol

Seriously .

• 5 months later...

hi fueonly,

I do not have any shockloss in donor area,only in recepient area.

and i believe it will come back as they are thick , just they aren't able to resist the trauma , they had to undergo while HT.

My question is when will the shockloss stop, i went for 800 grafts.

Anybody can answer please

hi fueonly ,

yes .. i am at 2 week mark after HT and have not seen any major hair fall from donor area.

its just the recipient area from where i keep seeing hair falling .. some are thick and some are thin and short..

Now i am regretting on my decision to go for HT .. that too only for 800 grafts

who was your HT surgeon

i would recommend you to not zero but 1 cut(use machine trimmer) and start applying nizoral if you have flake or itchy scalp or dandruff twice a week after 6 week from HT

Make sure you do zero but 1 cut(use machine trimmer) entire scalp bcz i ahve seen in more then two person

they had tremendous hairloss with shock loss same like you but after zero cut it was under control not totally averted but slowed down i would tell you to 1 cut

make sure when you do 1 cut be very gentle on scalp

i would say go to barber and get it done

shockloss will make your appearence very dull and your confidence will drip

hair is confidence thats why we undergo HT and our self esteem boost