Testosterone and Hair Loss

Greetings my glossy headed brethren,

We all know that Testosterone levels play a very significant role in Male Pattern Baldness, as testosterone is converted into DHT and causes hair loss. We also know that the use of Propecia (finasteride), prevents the testosterone from being converted into DHT, actually increasing your body's testosterone level by not throwing it away on DHT. That having been said, let's say your testosterone is still testing low. You are taking finasteride, and blood tests still come back with low testosterone. Can that affect the growth of transplanted grafts? And further, you decide on hormone therapy, with testosterone injections, how will that affect your hair growth? I am hoping to receive some educated answers, maybe from medical professionals, please don't throw guesses out there, I want this thread to help people. Please participate, but keep it serious. Thanks guys!

-Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Not sure, but I take fin and my testosterone tests recently came back slightly low.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Fake

Let me try and answer your question in my own words...not to say that it is right...First, DHT plays NO ROLE in hair loss unless you are genetically predisposed to be sensitive to it...Like us!!! Every man has DHT, just some aren't sensitive to it!! However, I would think a low testosterone level very well could effect graft growth..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 1 year later...

This seems to have remained unresolved. I have a similar question, as I have a testosterone result that came back very low today (which is why I found this thread).

I would really like to see some of the Drs. on this forum advise and help fill in the gaps.

Any way to request their participation?

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html