Shock Loss 3 weeks post op

Getsome1

I got a hairline transplant three weeks ago of 1000 grafts. I started propecia two days before the procedure. I am now shedding hair like crazy. Is this the shock loss I am experiencing? Is it the propecia or both? I am scared that I am loosing hair that won't grow back and am wandering if I should of started propecia earlier than two days pre op to help stabilize. Any suggestions or recommendations? Also it's been three weeks can I start removing the scabs as they are getting stuck in my hair because all my transplants were put into the hairline where there was native hair and transplanted hair from a small prior surgery 12 years ago. Thanks for your help!

I got a hairline transplant three weeks ago of 1000 grafts. I started propecia two days before the procedure. I am now shedding hair like crazy. Is this the shock loss I am experiencing? Is it the propecia or both? I am scared that I am loosing hair that won't grow back and am wandering if I should of started propecia earlier than two days pre op to help stabilize. Any suggestions or recommendations? Also it's been three weeks can I start removing the scabs as they are getting stuck in my hair because all my transplants were put into the hairline where there was native hair and transplanted hair from a small prior surgery 12 years ago. Thanks for your help!

Shedding is very normal...both with propecia and obviously from the transplant..I would think you need to be pretty agressive 3 weeks post op in rubbing the scabs during normal washing to get them off( however, contact your surgeon first for his advice)..stick with the propecia! If you had a transplant 12 years ago, then yes, you should probably have been on propecai for the last 12 years, BUT hey, I made the same mistake!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks for the reply NewHair, I wish I had been on propecia the last decade or so but my hairloss was so slow I didn't really notice it till the last couple of years. I thought propecia was only for the crown and had no idea it would help stop frontal hair loss. I just figured I would have to wait until I needed another transplant or until a hair loss product came out that helped with the front. I am disappointed I didn't do more research on propecia to find out more about it. When I did my propecia research it was about 12 years ago in the early days and I think they were saying it only worked on the crown. I also didn't have access to a forum like this. I had 200 to 300 grafts done in the front hairline when I was around 21. Recently (the last 2 years) I have receded back from those grafts a little bit. I just had 1000 grafts put into those spots and a little into the hairline which I believe still has some native hair and those first grafts. I hope I got enough grafts, the doctor actually recommended less (800) so we will see. I didn't lower my hairline at all. Just filled in. I'm scared I was miniaturized in the hairline and I am shedding those and they won't come back. We never talked with my doc about my miniaturization so I'm not sure. I am 33 now. My hair loss has been somewhat slow considering it started at about 20 and I have been able to get by with my hair styling until now. I am staying with the propecia. I also got Regenepure shampoo, Tricomin conditioner, lipogain for night time before bed. A daily multivitamin, 2000 mcg biotin, 2000 mg msm and two fish oil capsules. Any suggestions on upping my biotin or msm intake? Thanks again!