Nizoral after a HT?

I'd double check with your clinic, as most physicians have a personal set of post-operative instructions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

How long should I wait before using Nizoral again after a hair transplant?

Thanks.

Hi 362guy,

You have made an important decision in having your HT and a considerable investment. Continue to use the top medical advice and follow their post surgical instructions. The best advice is to continue to use professional medical advice to continue your journey in alleviating your hair loss. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 1 year later...

Possibly some are getting Nizoral confused with Nioxin which are two completely different products.

Nizoral is claimed to be a medicated shampoo that has DHT inhibitors but since it is a herbal based product, it is not under the oversight or regulation of the FDA. So its claims are IMHO arbitrary at best without any clinical substantiation through trials.

Nioxin is presented as a "scalp therapy" and scalp invigorator/cleanser. They state that it is a conditioner that moisturizes and energizes the scalp.

Now the issue of when to use any product is usually related to both the active and inactive ingredients of any product whether herbal based or not. For example, you would not want to use minoxidil if your sutures or recipient sites are not healed.

IMHO, Nioxin has many more additives that are chemical based if you ever read the label and why many docs will want their patients to gain complete healing of the outer epidermis layer of the scalp.

But opinions do vary and why you are being advised to check with you own doctor...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nizoral can do more harm than good if over used and after a HT good idea stand fast for minimum 30 days.

You only need use it 1 x a week max to help clean scalp.

I'm in total agreement, don't use this shampoo more than the recommended frequency and duration.

Actually I would only use it if you have thick crusty type of dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis) that is stubborn and just won't go away. It usually works for that.

Otherwise you may end up with some unwanted shedding.

In addition to Spex's warning on it you can also search Bonkerstonker's story, Bill the publishing manager's advice on it and also my experience.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I cant see any use for Nizoral unless you have dandruff. I've never seen any research that backs up the claims that its a topical DHT blocker.

All it did for me was make me shed hair!

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

I also do not believe that Nizoral does anything to inhibit or block DHT.

Nioxin is the one to be careful of and overuse can cause shedding IMHO.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY