Do you think this huge scar can be repaired?

2 weeks before a FUE I am also going in to have a scar revised. I have had a strip transplant twice before and have had the scar revised and it still looks huge. There is very little elasticity and as you can see the scar goes from ear to ear.... This is what it looks like 2 years after a revision. I have trust in the surgeon, but just want to make sure that with little elasticity and another revision the scar wont widen and look worse.

The revision is just a few days away, so please let me know. I read tonight about exercises you can do, but not sure how credible that is and if it is too late with this being a few days away. Is it even worth it? I'm praying this fixes my problem because my scar shows even at a 6 guard and really bothers me....Which is why I'm determined to get it smaller.

Also, what suggestions does anyone have to ensure it doesn't widen after the repair?

Thanks guys!

scar.png.b976419309d21eda6166142cb112ffd7.png

So, the plan is revision of the strip scar and FUE? Did the doctor discuss the possibility of removing a larger strip and performing FUSS ("FUT") with a new linear closure?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I think you have to be prepared for at least two things op day.

1) Doc will warn you, perhaps with a subtle tone (so be wary), that the outcome could make the scar worse. This often comes moments before the knife, long after you have reconciled the whole deal about going ahead. It is a sneaky disclaimer a lot of docs slip in at the last moment to cover themselves (and I don't blame them one bit.) That said, the scar should improve in some areas. You will be extremely lucky if the entire scar magically becomes thin, but as I said, significant areas could improve.

2) Be aware that the doc may extend the scar towards your temples under the auspices that he/she needs to taper the scar as well as give you more of a harverst. I assume this revision is to harverst more hair as well as then the scar. You get more grafts (and they get more more money) that way.

As for the FUE, I'd be wary of whether or not they will harvest near the excision line. They often avoid extracting near a point of trauma which is all very well from a physiological point of view, but from an aesthetic point of view it can leave a thicker band of hair near the ridge of the scar that actually highlights the scar oddly enough. Not much you can do about it if you do strip and FUE in one go. Take hair from there next time.

of course it can be "improved" upon

with the right doctor(s), technique(s) and possibly combination of procedures

a re-cut and re-stitch might not be the solution for you

it might need a cut and removal with a few FUE procedures over time

don't give up hope

this can be improved upon but maybe not in a one shot deal

I'd need to know if the doctor involved is any good. If he is then there seems little point in attempting another revision if the first one failed. You should just repair it with FUE.

I noticed in another post you mentioned NEOGRAFT. That's a bit of a red flag if a doctor uses that machine.

2 weeks of scalp exercise could help. When I did them I noticed an improvement after just a week. Ideally you need to do them a few months.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day