coarse donor hair

I had my HT consult and the doctor said I have coarse donor hair, possibly 4k grafts in tank, maybe more... I was downbeat, thinking coarse means dry and thin.. but then I started googling and apparently it means good, rather than bad

can anyone confirm/ sorry for such a silly question

Coarse hair is considered optimal for visual coverage and/or attaining the illusion of coverage. It really comes down to above average hair caliber. Some docs refer to it as variances in hair shaft diameter when measuring hair caliber.

Take it as good news!...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Coarse hair is considered optimal for visual coverage and/or attaining the illusion of coverage. It really comes down to above average hair caliber. Some docs refer to it as variances in hair shaft diameter when measuring hair caliber.

Take it as good news!...:)

yeah i will i always thought the back of my head was thick as when its wet i cant even see or feel my scalp

That may also be a case of high density in the donor area which is a completely different thing from coarse hair.

If you have both coarse hair and high donor density, then you have the best of both worlds!...:cool:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

MLC,

It's common to see lower donor densities in individuals with "coarse" hairs. This is because coarse hairs usually means larger, heartier follicles. The larger your follicles are, the fewer of them fit in a square centimeter -- and we measure density in follicular units per square centimeter of scalp.

As several others have noted, coarse, wiry, hairs are usually great for transplants. They provide excellent thick, natural coverage. One of your hairs may be worth 2 or 3 of a "fine" haired gentleman with a higher donor density and number of lifetime grafts.

Sounds like you're in a good situation.

Good luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Generally speaking, it's still better to have a high degree of coarseness than having a higher number of hairs that are thin in caliber IMHO...;)

Gillenator

Generally speaking, it's still better to have a high degree of coarseness than having a higher number of hairs that are thin in caliber IMHO...;)
You ain't lying, I have a ton of hair, my stylist always comments on how much of it I have, but it is ultra fine.

It took 7k grafts to restore me to an age appropriate hairline and density from a Norwood 3A.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I had just under 7,000 total grafts but was a class 5 when I got started in 1996.

My hair is just above average for grade of coarseness.

Gillenator