Losing hair two years post op

Is it possible for transplanted hair to fall out so long after the op I always thought grafts were permanent but my hair is looking a lot thinner in the transplanted area.

It may be that I recently cut it a lot shorter which was OK but as its growing back it has started to seem thinner or I have been stressed out recently and not eating well which could be a factor or it may just be a natural shedding fase anyone have any experience or insights.

Was your transplanted hair transplanted into places where existing hair might still fall out?

Have you been taking preventative treatments to try and prevent further loss or slow it down (rogaine, finasteride)?

It's also possible you're experiencing a seasonal shed, which many transplant patients do, in which the hair in the transplanted region looks a little thinner for a season while shedding.

It's also possible for a careless doctor to graft donor hair from outside of the safe zone into your hair and it will be susceptible to miniaturization, more common mistake in FUE than FUT.

And of course in some instances regrettably some people don't have a DHT proof donor area, and it thins with age.

All possibilities to consider, if you're concerned I'd reach out to your doctor or a new one for a consult.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Is it possible for transplanted hair to fall out so long after the op I always thought grafts were permanent but my hair is looking a lot thinner in the transplanted area.

I would doubt the hair that is falling out is transplanted hair if the surgeon took the grafts from the correct area.The hair falling out is most likely native hair that was populated around the hair that was transplanted. In a thinning area a lot of the native hair will continue to fall out even after it is surrounded by transplanted grafts that won't fall out. It is good you are on Propecia and tolerate it well.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

it is definitely only the transplanted areas that are shedding.

what has your surgeon said about this?

what does your surgeon advise you do next?

did the surgeon take grafts from the wrong zone?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

My guess is that it is a combination of more native hair loss along with some seasonal shedding...just my premonition.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

yes im hoping just seasonal shedding which has happened before it is just the transplanted areas that are shedding there is no native hair in the front so ite either shedding or the transplant hair is falling out which i know is rare .

If it's the transplanted hair that is shedding for the most part, it's because that hair has a different growth cycle than your native hair.

Transplanted hair goes into dormancy after it is transplanted and a complete new growth cycle begins roughly 3-4 months after the shedding. So the shedding, resting, and growth phases are on different time periods.

Bu don't worry because that hair will rest and then begin a new growth phase in 3-4 months from now.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a photo of the thinning hair the gaps can clearly be seen and it is only transplanted hair in that area its hard to tell but I don't think I'm losing hair anywhere else its just along the hairline.

IMG_20171011_142603.thumb.jpg.3a00253434f1c04ca19df8f700da101a.jpg

Have you sent these pics to your surgeon?

Gillenator