exposure to the sun, 3 weeks post-op, no hat but had sunscreen

Hi,

During a hot sunny day (86 degrees fahrenheit) with no clouds, 3 weeks FUE post op, if wearing factor 50, and reapplied throughout the day, will it be ok to not wear a hat? I'm hosting something work-based, and I really can't wear a hat, but sunscreen is no problem.

Thanks very much :)

Three weeks is very early. I'd also suggest avoiding direct and prolonged sun exposure for several more weeks. What does your hair transplant surgeon advise?

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

That's not ideal, probably not catastrophic if you mitigated exposure, but let's error on the side of caution in the future for the peace of mind that you're doing everything in your power not to accidentally thwart the final results.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Is it possible to get under a large table umbrella or something like that where you are not directly exposed to the sun?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Is there any way you can wear a hat that's somewhat more professional than a typical cap? I was able to wear one of those 50s style paper boy hats at work for a month or so after my HT. I just told my employers I had a medical procedure and needed to keep my scalp covered and nobody asked any questions.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I agree with those who have said that it's best to avoid strong sunlight at such an early stage, especially for prolonged periods.

I know that it's impossible for any of us to know the inner workings of your job, what is expected of you and how much power you have to influence the event, but it would be a shame to have to avoid it. It seems that, as the host, you have some control over things and could organize the event in such a way that your head is protected. Like pkipling said, there are types of hat that aren't as sloppy as a typical cap.

Your transplant is important, the event sounds important too, and I think you'd be amazed at what people can accept.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

All you really need to say if anyone asks is that you sunburn easily and are just protecting your head and leave it at that...doubtful that anyone would have any issues with that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY