Wash or not wash everyday??

Guy73

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I probably will at some point, but I am a NW 7 who had a thin covering of transplanted hair from many years ago, so the body grafts are spread throughout my entire head to try to get some better overall coverage which means there's no major improvement to show. It's more of an overall thickening which doesn't show up well in pictures. I had my last session of over 1000 grafts in December, so I'm just getting to the 4 month mark now. I'm hoping to get some decent growth by Summer and then perhaps I will post some before and afters.

I remember your story used to be on your profile, I didn't get to see the most recent pics with True and Dorin, how's it coming along?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

53 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

From my late teens until maybe age 40 there was no way I could get away with not washing my hair every day. The sebum buildup was so bad that I even had to wash it twice a day in my 20s because it got so greasy and gunky just a few hours after washing. It seems easy to prove that the sebum buildup is not due to washing too much. Just look at your beard hair and in some men chest hair as well. These areas are being washed daily and yet no sebum buildup, so that's obviously not the issue. Now that I have over 4600 body grafts on my head I can feel the difference in the greasiness factor. I can get away with washing less now if I wanted to.

Lol you said your own reason why you had very "gunky" hair even after few hours. The more you wash your hair the more and faster it will produce sebum. I've done this experiment on myself and proved it's the case.

Also body hair is different thing. If it's a hair doesnt mean it will react same as it's in a different place.

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Rolandas said:

Also body hair is different thing. If it's a hair doesnt mean it will react same as it's in a different place.

Exactly. So if it's different in different areas of the same person then it's certainly going to be different between different people. I think you're probably right to a certain extent where if you shampoo your hair and dry out the skin too often your body will try to secrete more oil to compensate, but I think this effect is going to be very minor and may work for a few people who have a dryer scalp naturally, but for those who naturally have an over production of sebum creating an oily greasy scalp all time then I don't think it's going to be possible to work on those people.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

remember your story used to be on your profile, I didn't get to see the most recent pics with True and Dorin, how's it coming along?

Yeah I never updated it since the first session of chest grafts a few years back. It's improving, but I'm still losing hair, so the result is not as good as it would be if my hair had stopped falling out. Basically I have to almost completely redo the old transplant as it continues to fall out, but at the same time I have to add more to the sides and back as well as those areas fall out too, so the 4600 grafts are spread all over.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Exactly. So if it's different in different areas of the same person then it's certainly going to be different between different people. I think you're probably right to a certain extent where if you shampoo your hair and dry out the skin too often your body will try to secrete more oil to compensate, but I think this effect is going to be very minor and may work for a few people who have a dryer scalp naturally, but for those who naturally have an over production of sebum creating an oily greasy scalp all time then I don't think it's going to be possible to work on those people.

I still believe everyone is in the same boat with sebum production.
Try to do an experiment. Try to decrease your shampooing slowly during the next few months and see if it's getting better. You still can wash it out with water, but it's enough to wash excess off.
I would definitely follow that experiment!

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Moderators
On 4/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Rolandas said:

I still believe everyone is in the same boat with sebum production.
Try to do an experiment. Try to decrease your shampooing slowly during the next few months and see if it's getting better. You still can wash it out with water, but it's enough to wash excess off.
I would definitely follow that experiment!

Could have been an interesting test and maybe I would have tried it if it was a few years back, but at this point I don't have the issue nearly as much due to all the body hair now on my scalp. Perhaps I will try out just washing with water anyway just to see if it changes the feel, body, and look of my hair for the better.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.