Weight loss during recovery period

Hi everyone,

I am just over 2 months post op and would like to go on a diet to lose a pound a week. Assuming I eat healthy, are there any concerns with recovering at a caloric deficit? Weight loss journeys take a while, so I’d rather not wait for full recovery before beginning mine (looking to lose around 40lbs). 

Ideally, if I stick with it, I’d hit the 12 month mark on surgery around the time my body is around where I want it to be weight-wise. That would be awesome. 

• Like 2

Won’t reveal name other than it’s a top 3 clinic in NA commonly used by members of this forum. The reason I’m posting here is that he recommended caution with weight loss during the recovery phase, especially at a faster rate than 1lb per week. That caught me by surprise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tentpole91 said:

Won’t reveal name other than it’s a top 3 clinic in NA commonly used by members of this forum. The reason I’m posting here is that he recommended caution with weight loss during the recovery phase, especially at a faster rate than 1lb per week. That caught me by surprise. 

Yeh I wondered what his rational was here ? I know that every Dr would have their own recommendations, but good to understand why he suggested no more than a pound ! 🤔

Yes 2-3 pounds is perfectly reasonable ! And it’s approx what i aimed for. When I talk of extreme dieting i mean starving your body or going on the faddy ones, what you seem to be aiming for is normal dieting. I have used Slimming world + Weight Watchers. I actually ended up eating more and just cut out a lot of crap. So if anything what I was putting it to my body was better. 

• Like 1

not sure if it would have adverse effects just make sure you are not depriving your body with key essential nutrients, specially keep an eye out if doing intermitting fasting, I on the other hand went the opposite route and went on a bulking phase and started eating clean dense foods and supplements and I firmly believe it has aided in both mass/muscle as well as hair growth post HT.

• Like 1

I would think a healthy lifestyle and diet will be good for hair growth. As others have said, just don't get too crazy and be sure to get nutrients. Even if it slightly slowed your growth, which you'd never even know, you'll look and feel better. The mental side of hair loss I believe is real so anything that helps your mental state is probably a benefit in the long run. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tentpole91 said:

Assuming I eat healthy, are there any concerns with recovering at a caloric deficit

As long as you are still maintaining a good balance of nutrients, and you're not in a state of malnutrition - you will be fine. 

Reducing body fat and being leaner and healthier in general, will improve your all round bodily health, and if anything help. 

Just ensure you're not making yourself deficient in anything. 

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Needadviceplease said:

Just a follow up. 

Anyone know when someone can start dieting post HT?

Also, anyone have specific supplements they took? Not Fin or Min I mean like specific vitamins for the hair.

Biotin etc.

I want cut weight post HT but don't want to harm the HT.

Thanks!

Personally started working out maybe just over 3 weeks post-op but light. Some say a month, but you should be pretty safe by a month. 

I also take Vitamin D with my regular food but i do not measure my calories at present but tried to watch what i ate. The weight did seem to shift or i maybe toned up. Either way, don't fear your results being affected. If the surgeon did a good job and your body doesn't have a freak incident, you'll definitely be fine going on a health kick. You'll look much better on two fronts.