just wondering

Has anyone ever been told to sleep at a 45 degree angle at night for post op instructions because i heard the post op instructions are what determines a result do they really expect people to sleep in an upright position like in a recliner at night without turning or laying on the grafted areas,

4 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Has anyone ever been told to sleep at a 45 degree angle at night for post op instructions because i heard the post op instructions are what determines a result do they really expect people to sleep in an upright position like in a recliner at night without turning or laying on the grafted areas,

These are probably the very basics of what you should be learning in your hair transplant research and what would happen if you go against the advice like an increased risk of them being dislodged and dying. 

The entire way you worded it sounds like you haven't done enough research and it's not just about hair transplants. It's any type of surgery that you're given specific post op instructions to help you achieve the best outcome. 

• Moderators

I slept in a recliner for the first 3 nights with a neck pillow, so I couldn't turn my head very much or let my head go back to hit the back of the chair. That worked OK for me.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 hours ago, Jerome said:

because i heard the post op instructions are what determines a result

Your Dr will determine 90% of your success. Choose a good Dr. As far as sleeping upright, it all depends on your Dr's orders. My Dr allowed me to lay flat but I still propped 2 pillows under my head with a neck pillow so I was just slightly elevated. I believe most of it is to reduce swelling and allow the anesthesia to drain downward. 

Jerome,

it’s always a good idea to follow the doctor‘s postoperative instructions.  A lot of doctors often suggest that sleeping in an elevated position will aid the healing process. It won’t necessarily do anything to affect the ultimate result one way or another if you don’t sleep elevated but sleeping in elevated position (note that this has to be done on your back) will prevent you from turning from one side to the other (aka tossing and turning) and potentially damage your grafts in your sleep. This, to me is a primary benefit of sleeping a bit elevated for the first couple of days after hair transplant surgery.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

During my first transplant, I did not sleep upright and my face swelled up pretty heavily for 3 days. I also apparently lost some grafts, but I don't know if it was from me accidentally picking it or something while sleeping. After my second transplant, I slept upright for about 5 days and my face mildly swelled up for about 1.5 days before going back to normal. I didn't sleep too well sleeping upright and probably woke up every 2-3 hours, but it's worth it in the end. 

13 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

During my first transplant, I did not sleep upright and my face swelled up pretty heavily for 3 days. I also apparently lost some grafts, but I don't know if it was from me accidentally picking it or something while sleeping. After my second transplant, I slept upright for about 5 days and my face mildly swelled up for about 1.5 days before going back to normal. I didn't sleep too well sleeping upright and probably woke up every 2-3 hours, but it's worth it in the end. 

It's probably the most annoying part of any hair transplant tbh at present but it's necessary to maximise success of graft survival and i'd rather do that for the first 3-5 nights than try risk a poor outcome. 

Heck, i'm so conscious i'd touch my head i'm planning to try the tip to tie your wrists to your ankle when you sleep upright to restrict the hands touching the head. 

• Like 1

Yeah because to me it seems like it would be the most difficult part of the surgery how can u not lay on your grafts at night how can u not let your crown touch or rub against the pillow .

45 degree angle, loads of pillows and a travel 'U' neck pillow (buy a firm one) worked for me.  3-4 nights should do it.

With jet lag I didn't have too much trouble falling asleep.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day