9 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Does dutasteride lose its effectiveness after 2-5 years like finasteride.

Your thread titles going to confuse people lol

Also, let's just be a little more clear here. Finsateride doesn't lose its effectiveness AFAIK. What happens is that your follicles sensitivity to DHT increases and that's why the hair loss progresses again. We know this because there is a 10 year Japanese Study showing how Finasteride continued to work past the 2-5 years you mentioned. 

The reason why Finasteride might not seen as effective in some in 2-5 years is because of that DHT sensitivity becoming increased in the follicles and with only 41% or so scalp DHT blocked, for those who's hair follicles say maybe only block 50% or less DHT over time, it's usually worse without medication. 

I would say Dutasteride is solid at around 51% blocked scalp DHT but honestly the holy grail of DHT inhibition would be something without any side affects targeting like 80%+ scalp DHT without affecting the useful function of body DHT. 

• Administrators

No, it doesn't lose effectiveness, though, you may need to up your meds from fin to dut.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The NORM with Fin is that you will SLOWLY progress in hair loss in the long term. But it is possible  Fin will completely stop working in case of aggressive hair loss where the genes will over power medication. It is also possible that Fin will completely stop hair loss for many years, 1 or 2 decades. 

As regards the original question, I have no idea whether this applies also to Dut which is more powerful

Edited by Mike10