Hair Transplant Gone Wrong

Hi all,

I got a hair transplant in the UK for a whopping £10,000 for 2,200 grafts.

I was unhappy as the result was horrifically poor and uneven. I complained, and paid a further £1,000 for 500 grafts to fix the issue.

I've healed again and still have a completely wonky, coarse hair transplant. This was supposed to be one of the best surgeons available and I was happy to pay the price for it, assuming the Dr delivered.

I went back and complained again, but was offered no compensation. 

Does anyone have any advice? Do I have any legal ground? I feel very uneducated and alone on the matter.

P.S I won't share the clinic's name yet - but I will after I have some sort of resolution.

20220919_183747.jpg

20220919_184006.jpg

20220919_183600.jpg

20220919_183359.jpg

20220919_183046.jpg

20220919_182810.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Valued Contributor

The work looks awful really - all those straight rows of hairs with big gaps between. Looks like multi's in the hairline as well (though it seems not many even survived).

The two best Dr's in the UK by far are Dr Ball of the Maitland Clinic and Dr Reddy (I believe Harley Street). I'm 99% sure you didn't go to either of those...? It would be useful to know who did this - saying who did the work won't impact on any possible resolution (but it may save someone the trauma of going to this clinic).

Unfortunately there's not much you can do at this point. You can appeal to their better nature again - you've spent £11,000 on this. It's also pretty poor that they charged you for the second procedure given the poor results of the first. Most top clinics operate a standard of ethics in which they stand by their work and their patient, meaning if the work falls short, they're usually very keen to get you back in for correction/refinement to ensure a good result. They don't charge you to correct their own errors. That's terrible service on their part.

And for such a large budget you actually had some incredible options in Belgium, Holland and elsewhere in Europe.

• Like 1

The doctor who did this needs to be outed lol. I mean who in their right mind would arrange the grafts that way in those rows with spaces between? How could an established HT surgeon do that? It’s baffling. I’m so sorry. 

• Like 5

Likely you'll have no legal recourse as they didn't physically hurt you and there's no guarantee of good growth or a good result.  I never would've returned after seeing rows planted like that.  What's it look like styled?  Sorry this happened.

• Valued Contributor

If you share the surgeon's name you will be preventing someone exactly like yourself from having to go through this. Unfortunately in this industry getting a financial refund or law suit against a surgeon is practically zero. At best you may get an offer for them to 'fix it' which you obviously would not want from this surgeon. On the upside, going by your pictures you appear to have a good donor (from what I can see) and you have only had 2,200 grafts used. With a repair surgery (12 months from the original surgery) those grafts used can be rearranged. I wish you all the best and feel free to DM if you need to. I was butchered twice when I was 18. All the best!

• Like 2

You have no chance of winning a lawsuit, getting a refund. 

Try to completely forget about this butchery clinic (as hard as that may be)

You likely need 2 repair surgeries. Start looking at repair docs

Sorry you are in this situation. It absolutely sucks, but this is exactly why the ht industry has a shady reputation in the forst place. Id wager 3x as many people get bad hair transplants as opposed to good ones. 

Jumping on the bandwagon to name the clinic. 

• Like 2

Always feel very sad to see these cases. With all the above said, there are also some positive sides to this bad job. 

- They did harvest in a good pattern.
- That combined with the low growth indicates a high transection rate.

- Which indicates that you’ll still have many hair left behind in your donor area. These wil grow in slightly different angles, and will need high skill to get them harvested. (So it’s better to leave them there for coverage and harvest other grafts)
- Hairline isn’t to low  

- You can also tell that they made  to big incisions. 

This all makes that is could be easily repaired in a one surgery repair. 

Any pics of the donor area? Should look okay. 

Regards,

Dr. Munib Ahmad 

• Like 2

The funny thing is even the hairmills in Turkey wouldn’t do a job this bad and be ten times cheaper. I am not even exaggerating, I have never seen these straight rows of hairs at the worst hairmill in Turkey, it’s like a 5 years old implanted them and used a ruler or something, just atrocious. Just because it’s UK ( a developed country) doesn’t mean you have any chance of legal recourse, cosmetic procedures are unfortunately outside medical malpractice realm everywhere in the world.

You should absolutely name and shame this monster so he doesn’t get to touch another person’s head. I don’t think there’s anything else you can do. 

Such a shame, 11k£ is a huge amount of money. Well, the next HT you do, remember expensive doesn’t mean better and just choose any doctor in this forum recommended list. If I am being absolutely honest given your level of hairloss, you would’ve a far better and happier transplant at any Turkish hairmill then have money left over for a repair job as well and still be better off than this.

Sorry I just look at those straight rows and……..atrocious 😬😬

• Like 1

If the surgeon is already unethical enough to do this sort of blatantly awful work, I highly doubt they'll be ethical enough to try to resolve this and compensate you in any way. If you're willing to share the name, it'd be great to see if this was a fluke (?) or if this is pretty standard. You say he's supposed to be one of the best surgeons, but it's hard to know what's good marketing and what's actually true. This is one of the reasons this forum exists so as to help people avoid surgeons like this with some community vetting and accountability.

It's unfortunate, but the best thing to do now may be to cut your losses and start looking into a repair procedure.

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor
On 9/19/2022 at 8:04 PM, Liam said:

Hi all,

I got a hair transplant in the UK for a whopping £10,000 for 2,200 grafts.

I was unhappy as the result was horrifically poor and uneven. I complained, and paid a further £1,000 for 500 grafts to fix the issue.

I've healed again and still have a completely wonky, coarse hair transplant. This was supposed to be one of the best surgeons available and I was happy to pay the price for it, assuming the Dr delivered.

I went back and complained again, but was offered no compensation. 

Does anyone have any advice? Do I have any legal ground? I feel very uneducated and alone on the matter.

P.S I won't share the clinic's name yet - but I will after I have some sort of resolution.

20220919_183747.jpg

20220919_184006.jpg

20220919_183600.jpg

20220919_183359.jpg

20220919_183046.jpg

20220919_182810.jpg

Hi Liam... Seems a little odd to come and post about these issues once and then not respond again to any of the people that have taken time to read your thread and ask questions/offer advice, no? Can you tell us who did this work?

I went through this in 2005 with Joseph Karamikian in NYC. I had no problem naming him and warning others on this very forum as soon as I found out he botched me. I took him to small claims court but he never showed up (only his lawyer on retainer). After going to court 4 times I dropped the case realizing the best I could do was expose him for the terrible work he did. 

• Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

6 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Hi Liam... Seems a little odd to come and post about these issues once and then not respond again to any of the people that have taken time to read your thread and ask questions/offer advice, no? Can you tell us who did this work?

he probably just made this thread to put some pressure on the doc..if the doc now will compensates him, we will never know the name

• Like 1

How long has it been since your surgeries? Also, who was the physician? Generally speaking, if you get an undesired result, you never go back to that doctor. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

If done in the U.K. surely contacting their gmc as a complaint could be done if they are not willing to resolve it. 

4 surgeons in the U.K. imo: 

ed ball

anyone from the farjos

arshad hair dr

id recommend my surgeon too, but not sure he takes on much repair work.

reddy