Looking for some PARTIAL SHAVE FUE tips and recommendations

Hi all, long time lurker of this forum and my first actual post!

This forum has been invaluable during my hair transplant research over the last year or two. I am 29 years old, with a stabilised NW3 receded hairline. I’ve been using minoxidil for the last 5 years and finasteride for over a year. After months of research I am now due to have a partial shave FUE in the new year. After numerous consultations and quotes based on submitted photos, the clinic I am booking with has quoted 2200 - 2400 grafts in the hairline to bring forwards the window peak.

In the consultation I spoke through the partial shave option, the pros and cons, and I am planning on going for it rather than a full shave. To clarify, by partial shave I mean the donor area will be shaved down but not all of the recipient, a short back and sides and kept longer on top. The actual hairline will also be shaved back a little so the new grafts can be blended with the native hair.

My main thoughts are so that I can continue to style my hair as I already do - pushed forward, covering my hairline - so that the recovery months are a lot easier. My family, my girlfriend and my closest mates know I'm getting this done so it's no secret, but it's just for my own peace of mind more than anything. 

I'm looking for tips from people who went the partial shave route, things that helped you through the recovery stage and recommendations based on your experience. I'm also open to suggestions from those who think partial shave might not be the best way forwards. 

The photos are of how I style my hair day to day, as well as my hair combed back with a rough idea of my preferred new hairline design, subject to change but just to give an idea. 

Thanks guys,

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7993.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

Edited by Speoj

• Administrators

I did a partial shave my 3rd procedure. If I ever get another HT it will be partial. My suggestion is to try and even your hair out after 3 weeks. Since the area you want covered is void of hair, not shaving doesn’t make a difference. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I did a partial shave my 3rd procedure. If I ever get another HT it will be partial. My suggestion is to try and even your hair out after 3 weeks. Since the area you want covered is void of hair, not shaving doesn’t make a difference. 

Thanks Melvin, good to hear more of your experience mate, appreciate the insight. 

How was the first few days after your 3rd? I’ve been told to tie my hair back (as best I can haha) for the first 7 days until the scabs come off, I guess so hair doesn’t stick to the scabs. Was this similar to your experience? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Speoj said:

Thanks Melvin, good to hear more of your experience mate, appreciate the insight. 

How was the first few days after your 3rd? I’ve been told to tie my hair back (as best I can haha) for the first 7 days until the scabs come off, I guess so hair doesn’t stick to the scabs. Was this similar to your experience? 

Yea you shouldn’t have your hair covering the grafted area until after 10 days when they’re secure.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The hairline looks odd. I hope this is not what the Dr intends to do. At just 29, you need also to consider preventitive treatment, at least in the mid to long term. This is a lifelong condition, so you will never really have peace of mind

• Like 1

Bumping this because I plan on also going for the partial shave option. 

Curious what the con's are compared to going full shave? Does full shave really make it that much easier for the Dr and Techs to do the transplant? I suppose it must otherwise everyone would go partial shave option? 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Found this video poking around. Melvin do you still think its optimal to go full shave, and you just wouln't do it if you got another HT because it isn't worth the ugly duckling phase even though going full shave is still optimal? 

On 9/27/2022 at 9:44 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

Bumping this because I plan on also going for the partial shave option. 

Curious what the con's are compared to going full shave? Does full shave really make it that much easier for the Dr and Techs to do the transplant? I suppose it must otherwise everyone would go partial shave option? 

I think in cases where there's diffuse thinning all over or higher Norwoods it makes total sense to go full shave. 

In general from what I understand partial shave can be more time consuming / challenging because the surgeon has to work around the native hair and that's why some surgeons charge more for it or avoid it if they can.

Another con is the healing process, during the scabbing stage I've been told to keep the native hair away by tying it up in little bunches which'll be a funny sight. Not sure every doc recommends it but it's what I was told in a consultation. But regardless I'm still planing on going the partial shave route because the pros out way the cons in my opinion.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...