Is hair transplant an option for me? Using a hair system at the moment...

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Great coverage @Ccd99. 👌

Thank you!

• Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - see link below for more info
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - 3200 grafts to frontal third and partial mid-scalp - link to thread
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - May 2025 -  - 2500-3000 grafts to remainder of mid-scalp and crown + touch-up

10 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

12 month check-in! Scalp is a bit tanned as I just got back from holiday.

Safe to say the regrowth has been amazing, the crown is lacking but that's fine my upcoming HT will sort that out.

I did also hear back from Dr. Bruno Ferreira and he confirmed that with my regrowth, only 1 surgery will be required now instead of the original plan which consisted of 2 surgeries.

Top (various lighting conditions)

image.thumb.jpeg.050af24a0d8fa3b770238f614c984494.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e0b8ec3b3bdb9b8705951a3164db3a4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c34c961b150f9637a5f7bc0e60774bee.jpeg

Crown

image.thumb.jpeg.b471d4eabe21c376d302c3c7bf2e3af6.jpeg

Front

image.thumb.jpeg.e7b3e7dc1bf1d7d889f0850efdfdeb3b.jpeg

Could you post a higher res pic of the hairline? 

Amazing regrowth till now considering where you were starting!

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, NorwoodKnight said:

Could you post a higher res pic of the hairline? 

Amazing regrowth till now considering where you were starting!

Thanks! Sure no problem, here is some photos I just took, in harsh lighting and natural lighting - hard to get the focus right when taking it one handed:

1.thumb.JPG.b18267c9504960969c494fc4d71c6e76.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.0eced4e87b4b4d74e272642706286092.JPG

The hairline definitely needs work but it's so much improved from before.

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - see link below for more info
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - 3200 grafts to frontal third and partial mid-scalp - link to thread
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - May 2025 -  - 2500-3000 grafts to remainder of mid-scalp and crown + touch-up

@NorwoodKnight here's a video with the selfie camera (not the best quality but hopefully gives you an idea:

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

You've transformed from a poor candidate into a great candidate for hair transplant surgery. I'll share your story with those who question the need for medication, even for those at Norwood 6 or beyond. Your case demonstrates that medication can significantly restore lost hair. While not everyone may be as fortunate, everyone should give themselves a full year on medication before planning a transplant.

I'm happy for you, brother. You've chosen an excellent doctor, Dr. Ferreira, who will use your grafts efficiently and create a very natural hairline. I look forward to following your journey. You will be an exceptional example to educate others on the importance of medication and the benefits of waiting to improve their candidacy for hair transplant surgery.

• Like 3

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

2 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

You've transformed from a poor candidate into a great candidate for hair transplant surgery. I'll share your story with those who question the need for medication, even for those at Norwood 6 or beyond. Your case demonstrates that medication can significantly restore lost hair. While not everyone may be as fortunate, everyone should give themselves a full year on medication before planning a transplant.

I'm happy for you, brother. You've chosen an excellent doctor, Dr. Ferreira, who will use your grafts efficiently and create a very natural hairline. I look forward to following your journey. You will be an exceptional example to educate others on the importance of medication and the benefits of waiting to improve their candidacy for hair transplant surgery.

Thanks bro! Appreciate your positivity! 100% agree medication should be everyone's first port of call.

I have 100% trust in Dr Ferreira and his team and I am glad I waited out, not only has it benefitted me in terms of regrowth but also the peace of mind that in his capable hands I should achieve a satisfactory result.

1 hour ago, NorwoodKnight said:

Awesome! Yeah i think you will need much less grafts than initially quoted

Thanks! Did you ever get round to deciding who you are wanting to do your HT with? I know you were looking at Dr Couto, Dr Ferreira, Dr Pinto etc

21 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

Thanks bro! Appreciate your positivity! 100% agree medication should be everyone's first port of call.

I have 100% trust in Dr Ferreira and his team and I am glad I waited out, not only has it benefitted me in terms of regrowth but also the peace of mind that in his capable hands I should achieve a satisfactory result.

Thanks! Did you ever get round to deciding who you are wanting to do your HT with? I know you were looking at Dr Couto, Dr Ferreira, Dr Pinto etc

I managed to book my consultation with both Dr. Ferreira and Dr. Pinto, respectively in February and March 2025!
They are my top rated choices at the moment, so after both consultation I think I will probably choose between one of them 🤓.
In the meantime I am enjoying my improvement in regrowth after the switch from finasteride 1mg/day and 2.5mg/day of minoxidil to dutasteride 0.5mg/day and 5mg/day of minoxidil. Maybe at the beginning of 2025 I will make a post with a comparison of my situation before and after the switch of medication and also regarding my consultations! 🤞🏼

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, NorwoodKnight said:

I managed to book my consultation with both Dr. Ferreira and Dr. Pinto, respectively in February and March 2025!
They are my top rated choices at the moment, so after both consultation I think I will probably choose between one of them 🤓.
In the meantime I am enjoying my improvement in regrowth after the switch from finasteride 1mg/day and 2.5mg/day of minoxidil to dutasteride 0.5mg/day and 5mg/day of minoxidil. Maybe at the beginning of 2025 I will make a post with a comparison of my situation before and after the switch of medication and also regarding my consultations! 🤞🏼

Awesome! You can't go wrong with either. I am curious to see your before/after meds comparisons  and also who you decide to go with in the end so will definitely be following your journey when you get round to making your post!

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Looking at that video it looks like you have a lot of fine hairs in that frontal third that are still probably slowly thickening up. Right now you don't need anywhere near as many grafts as it looked like before you started any meds.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

This is the final update from me on this thread.

I will make a new thread to track my progress post-surgery in the Hair Transplant Reviews section and provide a link here once I get round to posting my new thread.

Here is a quick TL;DR summary of this thread for any latecomers:

• Been wearing a hair system for last 7 years
  • Did not consider HT previously due to age, but when I turned 32 I decided enough is enough
  • Start medications end of July 2023, gradually increasing to my current regimen which is as follows:
    • 0.5mg Dutasteride once a day
    • 2.5mg Oral Minoxidil twice a day
    • Multi-vitamins (Saw Palmetto, Biotin, Zinc, Selenium)
    • 2% Ketoconazole shampoo twice a week
  • Started off as NW5/NW6 with good donor
  • I have now recovered to diffuse NW3 vertex through medication alone
    • Have seen immense regrowth from baseline but the regrown hairs are still thin and in some cases wispy, so not really styleable (does look great with fibres though)
    • Progress photos can be found in this thread
  • I would say my hair loss is stabilised and there is the most likely still potential for further regrowth in the coming months/years
  • My 2-day HT surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira is in less than a week, expected to transplant 3000-3500 grafts
    • Probably will need a touch-up session in 12 months time

Also, here are my final set of photos. I have been growing out my donor hair for the surgery so it looks very uneven at the moment but I don't care as it will get shaved down soon anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.79c9cb1113d683327bd8dd47330ef0ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.af035c230eb1a12c71fcdf56c2cf7e22.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.74352c595c7a0d08743898c79e45d0b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.919b127c2259b32a84b2d3c4917c5f1c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.279c257eaa7b04ec35ef75c4ae8c41aa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8359825c7f71547963fbadcfcba76cef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e0c379af6e883b58a4a5d1c3d268bc93.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12a487fd07a43e91d71c6a2219acd669.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.29d9c1e75e494562fa2e3322732edbca.jpeg

And also some photos using flash on:

image.thumb.jpeg.7cd5d4f9cc2c5820445076c7ad5848f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e6a92e9dbc94261d2939d7509e847ab6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.75534be0cd930c117f9d2acaa52466d2.jpeg

Thanks for all that have helped me on my journey, when I look back I can see I have come a long way.

I can't help be nervous but also excited about my surgery next week!

Edited by Ccd99
  • Like 2

• Moderators

You really came a long way from where you started. You went from being a possibly difficult transplant case to a relatively easy one. Good luck with the hair transplant!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

51 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

This is the final update from me on this thread.

I will make a new thread to track my progress post-surgery in the Hair Transplant Reviews section and provide a link here once I get round to posting my new thread.

Here is a quick TL;DR summary of this thread for any latecomers:

• Been wearing a hair system for last 7 years
  • Did not consider HT previously due to age, but when I turned 32 I decided enough is enough
  • Start medications end of July 2023, gradually increasing to my current regimen which is as follows:
    • 0.5mg Dutasteride once a day
    • 2.5mg Oral Minoxidil twice a day
    • Multi-vitamins (Saw Palmetto, Biotin, Zinc, Selenium)
    • 2% Ketoconazole shampoo twice a week
  • Started off as NW5/NW6 with good donor
  • I have now recovered to NW3 vertex through medication alone
    • Have seen immense regrowth from baseline but the regrown hairs are still thin and in some cases wispy, so not really styleable (does look great with fibres though)
    • Progress photos can be found in this thread
  • I would say my hair loss is stabilised and there is the most likely still potential for further regrowth in the coming months/years
  • My 2-day HT surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira is in less than a week, expected to transplant 3000-3500 grafts
    • Probably will need a touch-up session in 12 months time

Also, here are my final set of photos. I have been growing out my donor hair for the surgery so it looks very uneven at the moment but I don't care as it will get shaved down soon anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.79c9cb1113d683327bd8dd47330ef0ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.af035c230eb1a12c71fcdf56c2cf7e22.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.74352c595c7a0d08743898c79e45d0b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.919b127c2259b32a84b2d3c4917c5f1c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.279c257eaa7b04ec35ef75c4ae8c41aa.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8359825c7f71547963fbadcfcba76cef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e0c379af6e883b58a4a5d1c3d268bc93.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12a487fd07a43e91d71c6a2219acd669.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.29d9c1e75e494562fa2e3322732edbca.jpeg

And also some photos using flash on:

image.thumb.jpeg.7cd5d4f9cc2c5820445076c7ad5848f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e6a92e9dbc94261d2939d7509e847ab6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.75534be0cd930c117f9d2acaa52466d2.jpeg

Thanks for all that have helped me on my journey, when I look back I can see I have come a long way.

I can't help be nervous but also excited about my surgery next week!

Very good job on this write-up! I will follow very closely your progress after the transplant and I wish you the very best for your surgery, you deserve it 🙏🏼.

1 hour ago, Al - Moderator said:

You really came a long way from where you started. You went from being a possibly difficult transplant case to a relatively easy one. Good luck with the hair transplant!

1 hour ago, NorwoodKnight said:

Very good job on this write-up! I will follow very closely your progress after the transplant and I wish you the very best for your surgery, you deserve it 🙏🏼.

Thank you both, appreciate the kind words!

• 2 weeks later...

Update to anyone who is following this topic, I had my surgery earlier this week and moving forward I will now use following thread to update my progress - see link below:

Edited by Ccd99