Hair Transplant advice

Hi, I've read through quite a bit on these forums and I'm looking to get some specific advice on a hair transplant I'm considering. I've consulted with Dr. Williams in Las Vegas and he seemed very competent and he has been recommended by this website. I have read about the problems he had with his techs a few years ago but it seems to have been resolved. Does anyone here have any recent feedback on him?

So as for my particular case, I am 42 years old. I have thinning hair in the crown, top and temples. I'm not sure on a norwood scale where I'm at. I also am not sure I'm great candidate for a hair transplant because after a lot of consideration I've decided I do not want to take propecia or rogaine. I told the doctor this and he suggested 2500 grafts me covering the entire top of my head to keep a natural look as my hair loss progresses.

I'm a worried quite a bit about losing the existing hair I have on the top front of my head with so many transplants being done in between the existing hairs due to shock loss or damage to the roots during insertion of the new grafts. I wonder if it would be a better idea to go with less grafts in the front and just wait and see how the hair loss progresses. My father who is 72 has pretty much the same hair loss pattern as I do and still has hair on the top front part with more thinning on the crown and temples. My brother has a full head of hair and my mothers father at 95 has a full head.

I'll post some pictures so you can see the current state of my hair.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

hair pix gallery

Hi, I've read through quite a bit on these forums and I'm looking to get some specific advice on a hair transplant I'm considering. I've consulted with Dr. Williams in Las Vegas and he seemed very competent and he has been recommended by this website. I have read about the problems he had with his techs a few years ago but it seems to have been resolved. Does anyone here have any recent feedback on him?

So as for my particular case, I am 42 years old. I have thinning hair in the crown, top and temples. I'm not sure on a norwood scale where I'm at. I also am not sure I'm great candidate for a hair transplant because after a lot of consideration I've decided I do not want to take propecia or rogaine. I told the doctor this and he suggested 2500 grafts me covering the entire top of my head to keep a natural look as my hair loss progresses.

I'm a worried quite a bit about losing the existing hair I have on the top front of my head with so many transplants being done in between the existing hairs due to shock loss or damage to the roots during insertion of the new grafts. I wonder if it would be a better idea to go with less grafts in the front and just wait and see how the hair loss progresses. My father who is 72 has pretty much the same hair loss pattern as I do and still has hair on the top front part with more thinning on the crown and temples. My brother has a full head of hair and my mothers father at 95 has a full head.

I'll post some pictures so you can see the current state of my hair.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

hair pix gallery

Well what I would do if I was in your situation is I would first fill in the crown, that would probably 1000-1500 grafts, not more. I would'nt touch the front just yet because you have quite a bit of hair in the front and if you transplant through it now you will have major shock loss. So wait a while till you loose more hair in the front and then go for it.

this is a picture of my fathers hair. I'm thinking I'll probably end up with similar hair loss. So what would be the best course of action? It's been suggested that if you do a transplant early enough when you still have enough hair to cover it won't be as noticeable to people.

dadhair.jpg.27e854b24ea902f1e43cce45b51ac087.jpg

From what I have understood, a person's hairloss is unique to themselves and family history need not always be a part of it. For Instance a person maybe a norwood 6 but his brother might have a full head of hair. So before you take any decision I would consult with some top docs recommended on this forum and see what they say.

Since your hair loss is mainly in your crown area, you might want to try Finasteride (Propecia) and Minox (Rogaine) first.

These medications are usually good for the crown region. Try these for a year and then see if you need a HT at that point.

Good luck!

Hey long hair, the gene for hair loss (dht) is carried through your mothers side (not the father)

juanc

1000 grafts with dr rosanelli

1000 grafts with Dr. Peterson

1600 (july 17) with Dr. Ochs

the gene for hair loss (dht) is carried through your mothers side (not the father

Both parents carry combinations of dominant and recessive genes.

Activation can come from either side, not only the maternal side.

take care...

Honestly, it's difficult to get a real gauge on your situation based off that pic. I agree w/ Forrest, though, that getting on fin could be really wise for you. Get on, stay on for a while, and see how you respond.

The risk of transection when going into a lot of native hair is a very real concern, and I'd share it, as well, though I don't think it would ultimately deter me if I were you.

If I had to take my best stab based off your pic, btw, I can see how 2500 could make sense, especially if you do indeed have very dense hair, you'd want to do the best you can in matching density.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!