• Moderators

This is a huge improvement.

Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 10.55.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-14 at 10.56.08 AM.png

• Wow 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, romeo_gent said:

Timing: I’m scheduling the second operation exactly 12 months after the first one. Do you think this is the right timing, or should I consider a different timeframe?

That's sort of standard to have the 2nd HT at the 1 year mark.

Coverage: After consulting with Dr. Bonus, she estimated 800 grafts for the crown area and another 800 for the front hairline. I’m considering lowering the hairline by 5mm at the center and 10mm at the dimple area. Based on my latest photos, are there any other areas you think I should focus on?

Sounds good. You don't want to use too many more grafts and deplete the donor. 800 for the crown and 800 to tweak the front is reasonable. 

Medication: I’m still on minoxidil (2.5mg) and finasteride. Are there any other medications or supplements you’ve had positive experiences with that you would recommend?

I'd stick with those if they are working and not giving you any side effects.

Overall: For those who have followed my journey, how would you rate the results of my first hair transplant? Any additional advice or observations would be greatly appreciated.

It looks great. That 2nd session will really finish it off.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Tbh I'm not convinced you need a 2nd pass. I would honestly save the grafts for later incase you need it. This honestly is a very good final result.

If you really want to do it, I would put some in the crown and call it a day. Don't drop the hairline, it looks very good and age appropriate.

Edited by 4chanhrn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

That's sort of standard to have the 2nd HT at the 1 year mark.

Sounds good. You don't want to use too many more grafts and deplete the donor. 800 for the crown and 800 to tweak the front is reasonable. 

I'd stick with those if they are working and not giving you any side effects.

It looks great. That 2nd session will really finish it off.

Thank you AI for your words of encouragement and confirmation.

49 minutes ago, 4chanhrn said:

Tbh I'm not convinced you need a 2nd pass. I would honestly save the grafts for later incase you need it. This honestly is a very good final result.

If you really want to do it, I would put some in the crown and call it a day. Don't drop the hairline, it looks very good and age appropriate.

Hi Pal, I welcomed your feedback. But, I'd like you to have a closer look. I wet my hair and comb it upwards to take photos of clear hairline. I used them to discuss with Dr. I'm posting them below, and would be keen to hear your feedback.

Btw, I'm close to 50, and the 1st ops produced solid hair (despite it is a little curvy now). What are the chances that I will need a 3rd ops? I mean, are there any patients who lost their transplanted hair in a few years and require a re-do? Or the possibility of losing the original hair in between the transplanted hair which reduces the density and the look of it.

IMG_4886.thumb.jpeg.875750dc8efe84fa23d3788554aa68d0.jpegIMG_4885.thumb.jpeg.e32783fbfe5bce0f4a1f5fb3283f8c28.jpegIMG_4883.thumb.jpeg.dd58c5cb78c33c211a83409e9d2aa007.jpegIMG_4878.thumb.jpeg.b99085e783df04e4ba56c62ac5b4df54.jpeg

Also, the other reason for the hair line touch up is that during the 1st ops, doctor didn't manage to bring down the hairline as per planned. (see below the photo taken in right after ops. you will notice that the post-ops hairline has not reached the blue marking quite yet)image.thumb.png.ab96539be025c60e23431435d831032d.png

Overall it's a very good result.  At first I didn't understand that you wanted to lower the hairline, but I agree that in some pictures I looks a little bit high.

It's not too bad though, and for your age your hair looks better than most people. But if it's something that bothers you, I would definitely go ahead. A few more grafts for the hairline + crown and you're all set.

Do you know how many grafts from those 4000 did you get from mid-scalp to crown area?

• Administrators

I think Dr. Bonus executed this surgery text book. The hairline looks immaculate. She followed your natural pattern. Lowering it at 50, it’s not a terrible idea, but is it really necessary? I would say no. 

Hair greed my friend, you have it. It gets us all, we think just a little more hair. In your case, it’s not bad either way. 

DDC23107-0F05-46C1-ABEE-CF5403905BB3.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 9/14/2024 at 10:19 AM, romeo_gent said:

Hi Pal, I welcomed your feedback. But, I'd like you to have a closer look. I wet my hair and comb it upwards to take photos of clear hairline. I used them to discuss with Dr. I'm posting them below, and would be keen to hear your feedback.

Btw, I'm close to 50, and the 1st ops produced solid hair (despite it is a little curvy now). What are the chances that I will need a 3rd ops? I mean, are there any patients who lost their transplanted hair in a few years and require a re-do? Or the possibility of losing the original hair in between the transplanted hair which reduces the density and the look of it.

I see it now. I think it's more about expectations. To me the hairline looks very age appropriate and will look better as you age. I personally would be happy with this, but you do you.

Since you're on finasteride and older, you should mostly be in good shape but it doesn't hurt to have something in the bank as insurance incase you lost native hair/decided to discontinue finasteride. Either way it shouldn't be a major issue.

On 9/15/2024 at 7:15 AM, Falling said:

Overall it's a very good result.  At first I didn't understand that you wanted to lower the hairline, but I agree that in some pictures I looks a little bit high.

It's not too bad though, and for your age your hair looks better than most people. But if it's something that bothers you, I would definitely go ahead. A few more grafts for the hairline + crown and you're all set.

Do you know how many grafts from those 4000 did you get from mid-scalp to crown area?

no, was not specified to me in the split of recipient area.

31 minutes ago, 4chanhrn said:

I see it now. I think it's more about expectations. To me the hairline looks very age appropriate and will look better as you age. I personally would be happy with this, but you do you.

Since you're on finasteride and older, you should mostly be in good shape but it doesn't hurt to have something in the bank as insurance incase you lost native hair/decided to discontinue finasteride. Either way it shouldn't be a major issue.

tq for the note. for me, although I am happy with the way it is now, I wanted to 'finish the job' so-to-speak (engineer mindset)... hahaha. The other driver is financial. It will be less stressful when I'm still actively working than during retirement. :)

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I think Dr. Bonus executed this surgery text book. The hairline looks immaculate. She followed your natural pattern. Lowering it at 50, it’s not a terrible idea, but is it really necessary? I would say no. 

Hair greed my friend, you have it. It gets us all, we think just a little more hair. In your case, it’s not bad either way. 

DDC23107-0F05-46C1-ABEE-CF5403905BB3.jpeg

Thanks Melvin. Spot ON, hair greed. When you don't have it, you think you will be fine with 70%. When you get to 70%, I think 90% would be not a bad idea.

haha.... the other reasons as I mentioned above. Financial... better to do it when you are still having active income.