1600 Grafts with Dr Mwamba December 2023

jeeb1801

Posted (edited)

1600 grafts are not enough for such extended bald crown....Even its not possible to get full coverage in crown area like front portion even with multiple hair transplants bcoz of swirl pattern and no overlapping of hairs also growth is always less in crown area...shockloss is always high in crown area so oral Finasteride is must after crown area hair transplant...

Trust me but u won't see any big improvement in it wid 1600 grafts....

Edited by RajSharma99

Crown is called Black Hole for a reason. It's obvious that 1600 Grafts were not sufficient in your case.

You need more than 2500 Grafts to have some illusion of hair on your crown. I hope you are on Finasteride

I’m fully aware that the crown is definitely one of the more difficult areas to cover. My observation was pointed more towards the fact that the survival rate amongst the implanted 1600 odd grafts seems to have been very low and definitely seen much better results with similar number of grafts on this forum. 

There are a couple of points to consider. The crown takes a longer time to grow. Plus, your crown is quite large. Nevertheless, I have to say that growth from the surgery seems to be a bit week regardless. Have you voiced your concern to Dr. Mwamba?

The problem here is the survival rate. Yes, 1600 is maybe not enough for the area, but it should have gave him a huge improvement in visual density. But that's not the case here. I don't see much difference in before and after the operation. I do understand your disappointment.

So I took some more photos of the recipient and it does look like my initial worries of cobblestoning seems to be validated as it seems to be pretty bad still. 

Really disappointed with the result and will wait until my conversation with dr Mwamba. 

The main disappointments are the cobblestoning, the low yield of the grafts implanted and the patient advisor in the after care has not been the most helpful. I seem to need to contact multiple people to try get any contact from the clinic and even though I highlighted these things earlier, I’ve not been allowed to see the dr until this month and i am if I'm told to just keep waiting, whilst I know for crowns it takes longer, i just don’t think this result is going to be successful. 

For the amount of money paid, this too is quite disheartening as paying such a large sum of money for a substandard result is not a great feeling and hope the clinic does rectify the situation. 

IMG_2981.thumb.jpeg.b2bdfafadbca7f51934c41052df2a637.jpeg

IMG_2984.jpeg

Edited by jeeb1801

• Valued Contributor

The crown is a very large area and unfortunately it takes a lot of grafts to give an illusion of fullness. I went back in February for a touch up just for my crown as I felt that it wasn't really addressed enough in my second procedure. However be mindful that the last thing you want is an island of hair in the crown if your surrounding hair continues to miniaturize. Are you taking medication? Also the crown can take a longer time period as has been mentioned to fill in. All the best.

@Ajamilo went to dr. Mwamba and was also complaining about cobblestoning. I think this is no longer a coincidence, they should be doing something wrong. Maybe their team is changed, i dont know.

Who did your surgery? Dr Mwamba himself, or dr. Ali?

cobblestoning will improve a little over time, but it will never go away. This is the result of poor hair transplant work and never happens with most doctors. The problems you reported from the Mwamba clinic have been known and reported by many patients for a long time and this will probably never change. As you can see, this does not prevent a paid, false narrative about an "elite, one of the best" doctors. 

Hello @jeeb1801 , sorry to hear the result is not coming to where you were expecting it. However, you still have around six more months ahead. 
Also, important to consider that 1600 was not enough to get your crown looking like your native hair. I would say 2200-2500 at least. 

Let´s see what Dr Mwamba tells you about all this.
Best regards.

Dr Mwamba has asked for me to travel to his clinic to have my head examined in person before deciding to proceed. My biggest concern right now is that @patronovski and @Matt3210 have highlighted that this seems to be a common occurrence with the doctor. 

He offered a free touch up for the crown but I’m just worried that this may lead to the same complications and same cycle a year later. 

I’ve invested quite a lot emotionally and financially for this hair transplant. I explained that I was not pleased with the patient advisor who said that this was normal and the doctor saying in todays consultation that if he had seen the pictures sooner he would have asked me to come sooner. This highlights that my earlier concerns weren’t taken seriously by the patient advisor. 

Do u reckon I should take the touch up (I said I didn’t want to use up more of the scalp donor and he said we can do bht)

I think you need to give this offer some serious thought. Sleep on it. Take your time if needs be. All depends on how you feel about this whole thing. If you're confident that some of the shortcomings of the first pass would be avoided this time around, then go for it. If you still sense that something is off about it, or that your wishes and concerns weren't taken into account, then think twice about it.

• Moderators

I think I would tell him I'd wait the full 12 months to see if there is any further improvement and then have a follow up consultation to see what the Dr thinks and then I can decide if I want to accept an offer of free grafts.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

So I signed up to get the 10% discount. It was never communicated over to me by the patient advisor that there were very particular set of criteria for the photos so all this time I’ve been sending images of the recipient and donor area. 

When I asked about the discount today, the patient advisor sends me an email with a list of criteria for the photos and asks me to send photos from month 1,3,6 and 9 even though he is fully aware I did not know the criteria before and don’t know how he expects me to do this now when this should have been communicated earlier. It has now started to get more hostile from the clinic side when I have pushed for some answers. 

My stance with going back to dr Mwamba has been that I am happy to go back if the clinic is happy to also schedule it so that when I’m there, if a repair is required, it’s done straight away. The clinic wants me to come in for a one hour appointment and then fly back to London and then come back again if further surgery is needed which I’ve argued makes no sense to do. This has not gone down too well. 

I am really questioning how this clinic is being run, the response for the suboptimal result has been disappointing.

My opinion on this clinic has changed drastically and seems that the reviews posted here are reflective of the fall of standards at this place.

Edited by jeeb1801