Dr. Bisanga - Repair Stage I (Removal)

• Valued Contributor

@FormerFutureKrillin trust me. Slow and steady wins the race! Over time this will be a thing of the past. No one will pick up on your hairline (unless they are looking for it). From my own personal experience scars/redness continue to improve ongoing overtime . You've got a lot of hair bro. 👊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Month 3 update. Skin continues to improve in appearance and I think some hairs are finally starting to sprout through in the scar-recipient area.

Next month I will be undergoing a second removal session with Dr. Bisanga. I will provide continued updates in this thread.

IMG_8072.thumb.jpeg.4435a1c8cf70111999ad668d24213198.jpegIMG_8078.thumb.jpeg.7994c080ad57d0b5f10eeda544ab6760.jpegIMG_8076.thumb.jpeg.f7275a691560c0e35800a398242aa3cb.jpegIMG_8113.thumb.jpeg.9b4f6edecc872e8468c4ebe88b1db131.jpegIMG_8127.jpeg.733ebea76a416a20b301470f97e32565.jpeg

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

Month 3 update. Skin continues to improve in appearance and I think some hairs are finally starting to sprout through in the scar-recipient area.

Next month I will be undergoing a second removal session with Dr. Bisanga. I will provide continued updates in this thread.

IMG_8072.thumb.jpeg.4435a1c8cf70111999ad668d24213198.jpegIMG_8078.thumb.jpeg.7994c080ad57d0b5f10eeda544ab6760.jpegIMG_8076.thumb.jpeg.f7275a691560c0e35800a398242aa3cb.jpegIMG_8113.thumb.jpeg.9b4f6edecc872e8468c4ebe88b1db131.jpegIMG_8127.jpeg.733ebea76a416a20b301470f97e32565.jpeg

Extraction sites have healed fantastically. Great update!

• Like 1

why did you decide to remove grafts from the frontline? From your previous thread I thought you were mainly unhappy with the density behind the hairline, which could be fixed by adding more grafts there?

On 5/20/2024 at 11:07 PM, baldfighter said:

why did you decide to remove grafts from the frontline? From your previous thread I thought you were mainly unhappy with the density behind the hairline, which could be fixed by adding more grafts there?

I don’t want this thread to derail into dwelling on the first surgery, but this is a fair question and I will say I was unhappy with more than just the lack of density behind the hairline and in my opinion the issues could not be solved just by adding more grafts behind the hairline (as much as I wish that were the case!).

In addition to the issues I noted in my 12 month update in my prior surgery thread, I would say the main problems were: (a) the hairline was too low (it was on my forehead brow wrinkle/muscle - take a look at the photo in my first thread with the surgical lines to see this), (b) there were too many multi grafts in the hairline and since the hairline was too low the only option was to remove them and (c) there were misangled grafts that needed to be removed.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Today I completed my second (and hopefully final) removal session with Dr. Bisanga. Dr. Bisanga was able to remove 250 grafts via punch and also removed an additional 200 via electrolysis. He said (and sounded confident) at the end of surgery he thinks that any straggling hairs can either be hidden by the hairline rebuild or zapped with another pass of electrolysis during the repair surgery, but will have to wait and see how things progress.

This time, the removed grafts were placed just behind the hairline.

As always, Dr. Bisanga and BHR clinic staff were and continue to be excellent.

Below are some pictures from today after surgery.

My fingers are crossed that I won’t need another standalone removal session and that I am one step closer to putting all of this behind me.

IMG_8308.thumb.jpeg.6969311a76f2b256aa6ddac049674625.jpegIMG_8311.thumb.jpeg.0d9ba0f60c957cd5fcf870ebbd94161c.jpegIMG_8314.thumb.jpeg.f2fd6d995046c3edafa39761f0f6bb65.jpegIMG_8293.thumb.jpeg.4a74ba16222e285cb6d1ccf81f310ef9.jpeg

• Like 1

Electrolysis is a great addition, otherwise another removal session would have been required. I feel dr. Bisanga is more cautious with these punch out sessions, in contrast with other doctors such as Feriduni or Ball, who usually punch out more grafts from the frontal in every session.

Have you discussed with the doctor the potential addition of PRP treatment for the scar tissue? We all know PRP has low impact in hair, but its main use and the one that works well is actually scar tissue in different parts of the body.

How many months do you have to wait to implant in the hairline?

Good recovery!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baddecisions said:

Electrolysis is a great addition, otherwise another removal session would have been required. I feel dr. Bisanga is more cautious with these punch out sessions, in contrast with other doctors such as Feriduni or Ball, who usually punch out more grafts from the frontal in every session.

Have you discussed with the doctor the potential addition of PRP treatment for the scar tissue? We all know PRP has low impact in hair, but its main use and the one that works well is actually scar tissue in different parts of the body.

How many months do you have to wait to implant in the hairline?

Good recovery!

I have discussed PRP and also met with a dermatologist recommended by the clinic on this subject. In my case, the dermatologist actually recommended caution with undergoing PRP because PRP can sometimes exacerbate redness of the scalp, which, at the time of my first removal session, there was still some lingering redness on my hairline, presumably from scarring damage of the first surgery. This redness subsided a great deal after my first punch session and after use of several prescription shampoos from the derm. 

My personal theory (unsupported by any doctor) is that the reduced vascularization after punching out grafts reduced my redness, and also that there may have been inflammation of my skin on my hairline due to improper depth of implantation of some of the grafts that resolved once those grafts were removed. Dr. Bisanga mentioned during this session that some of my grafts were “very deep” and he had to work a bit to get them out.

Given my redness has subsided, I may reconsider PRP but we will see.

As for timeline, I have not yet discussed with the clinic as it is a bit premature at this point. I would jump at the chance to do the full surgery as soon as they will let me, but I need to be patient and let my body heal. I’ve been told it should generally be given somewhere between at least 4-6 months after a removal before doing a repair surgery.

• Thanks 1

Here is a quick update on day 5 post second removal. This time around my skin seems to be healing much faster and it seems like the redness is already fading.

I’m also very pleased that it seems like the “bumpiness”/ridging where my old hairline was seems to have really dissipated now that the offending grafts have been removed. It’s still there in some areas (and perhaps it will show more as my skin settles and heals) but it seems to me to be much, much better than it was before and barely noticeable unless really looking for it.

IMG_8418.thumb.jpeg.2e9a7a80057c316922cfacbb80ecfdb4.jpegIMG_8440.thumb.jpeg.5795fd7b4a7bf54db7bebfb7b8c30012.jpegIMG_8420.thumb.jpeg.416131978ed1296707869df5c1a305f9.jpegIMG_8448.thumb.jpeg.dea0e9450614fd1d5d903cc7ccbb024e.jpeg

• Like 1