3700 FUE Grafts ( Total of 7151 Hairs ) - Dr.Ron Shapiro - Round 1 ( Sept 2023 )

23 hours ago, parsia said:

Update about in person consultation with Dr.Shapiro :

So I flied to Minneapolis and I had a pleasure to have in person consultation with Dr.Shapiro , Its always great experience to see him in person since he is very honest knowledgeable and pay attentions to details. 

He was happy with the overall result and carefully look at my scalp . He was mentioning there were some areas which has some density issue , we also talked about lowering the hairline and he drew two different hairline to see which one is near to my goal . He also mentioned he is feeling more confident this time to lower hairline and do some touch up for density since he is more able to see the result of 1st surgery. We also talked about addressing crown , However medications ( specifically oral minoxidil ) helped to make my crown to look better , So we may will not touch it for now since it will be more risk at this stage to touch the crown because the degree of hairloss is not established yet. 

I wasn't expecting my hair to be so dense after this surgery since we put 3000 grafts on top for 100cm2 area (  the average would be 30 grafts per cm2 ) and between 80%-90% of those grafts normally will survive ( according to my conversation with Dr.Shapiro ), So if we chose 85% as a average good number , That means my survival grafts was around 2500  which will be only 25 grafts per cm2 , Which is even below average desirable density . However my hair has higher caliber than average person which is gonna show the result fuller and denser , Also I do have curly/wavy hair when it is getting longer so it can help for the coverage.

I am very satisfied with the result of first surgery since my area of baldness was considerably big and we didn't do mega session on that area.

I do plan to do 2nd surgery in the end of Jan 2025. 

Just a note- I don't think you heard Dr. Shapiro clearly. 80-90% yield for FUE would be poor, or FUT for that matter. You really should get 95-100%.

6 minutes ago, DermMD said:

Just a note- I don't think you heard Dr. Shapiro clearly. 80-90% yield for FUE would be poor, or FUT for that matter. You really should get 95-100%.

I heard him very clearly because I was there with him in person and respectfully you were not there ! thats what I also got in my yield  , I encourage you to read his study about FUE

After hearing some of the members reviews now I am curious ... Would you say the outcome has met your expectations? How would you rate your satisfaction with the density, coverage, and overall appearance?

Has the transplant made a significant difference in your confidence or daily life? Would you go back to Dr Shapiro if you had to do it again? Did you have other options in mind?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BaldingEye said:

After hearing some of the members reviews now I am curious ... Would you say the outcome has met your expectations? How would you rate your satisfaction with the density, coverage, and overall appearance?

Has the transplant made a significant difference in your confidence or daily life? Would you go back to Dr Shapiro if you had to do it again? Did you have other options in mind?

I'm glad you asked these questions because those are very great questions which were always in my mind too.

Yes it did met my expectations and it was even above that , For first surgery I rate it between 8.5 to 9 out of 10 , I even asked Dr.Shapiro and he mentioned he would rate it above 7 ( I think he was humble to say that ) , The reason I do grade it 8.5 or 9 because I had 3000 grafts on 100cm2 , So I didn't except to have a miracle , For coverage and density If you do math the average initial density was 30 grafts per cm2 which is not much , if you consider the survival then the final number would be around 25graft per cm2 which is below average . 

Overall appearance , I was between Narwood 4 and Narwood 5 ( 4.5 was probably best fit for me ) and Now I would consider myself Good Narwood 3 ( Or maybe even 2.5 ). 

Confidence wise , Yes it had hugely impact to my confidence in my daily life , I feel more like I am myself again and have a similar look that I had before , It has boosted my confidence in my daily life , not only for interacting with females and this is something I wasn't aware of before doing hair transplant. 

I had so many other options in my mind but after some in person consultations ,  I figured Dr.Shapiro can be my best choice .

I hope I covered all of your questions.

Edited by parsia

• Moderators

Having another procedure to lower the hairline a bit plus add some density is good. You will look totally awesome   

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

48 minutes ago, Al - Moderator said:

Having another procedure to lower the hairline a bit plus add some density is good. You will look totally awesome   

Thank You for your kind🙏 , Planing to lower hairline by 1.5cm ( a bit more than 1/2 inch ) and add some density on front half and back of hairline.

Good News , I have received the official photos from clinic ,as I promisedI am updating them on here  , I have another set of photo from clinic for different time but those were with shorter hair so I didn't upload them , I am trying to be consistent as much as possible , The hair length is about the same for previous surgery and also after surgery , Thanks to the clinic the lighting and camera are also consistent as well. 

Side note One of the things I really like about Dr.Shapiro work which I haven't seen anyone mention that yet is he added around 500 grafts on my sides and also on my temples, I was barely see surgeons touches or care about the sides ( I mostly only saw temple points  ). I have uploaded some side pictures to demonstrate what exactly I mean. I know they are not perfect but I hope you can see how he built up my side to frame the face . The recession of my sides and temple points were pretty aggressive which was always making me worry that how can I address those with my transplant.

Please Feel free to share with me any kind of feedback you have ( Positive or negative , I'm open to it ) 

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 4.09.30 PM.png

Slide8 (1).JPG

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 4.17.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 4.17.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 4.21.44 PM.png

Slide10.JPG

Edited by parsia
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dude this is a fabulous kick-ass result.  The one thing i like about this clinic and Dr Ron in particular, is he makes every damn graft count

Initially the pattern placement on the hairline was sort of confusing to me but there was a method to the what seemed "random" placement of 1s -- and by god the result was fantastic. 20 years on and that hairline has stood the test of time for me. 

I recently got some touch up work done to fill in top of crown and one area where we saw potential issues down the road -- staying "ahead of the curve"

And yes, life is different when you are in your 40s/50s and have a thick head of hair while your peers are balding and using all sorts of weird comb-overs to look presentable.  and not everyone looks good with a shaved head (I know I certainly don't) -the payoff is tremendous both in social life and in career

• Like 1

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004), FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015), FUE #4 ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

FUE #5 ~ 1200 grafts, fill up areas showing weakness (Ron Shapiro, 2024)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

On 9/29/2024 at 7:34 PM, fortune11 said:

Dude this is a fabulous kick-ass result.  The one thing i like about this clinic and Dr Ron in particular, is he makes every damn graft count

Initially the pattern placement on the hairline was sort of confusing to me but there was a method to the what seemed "random" placement of 1s -- and by god the result was fantastic. 20 years on and that hairline has stood the test of time for me. 

I recently got some touch up work done to fill in top of crown and one area where we saw potential issues down the road -- staying "ahead of the curve"

And yes, life is different when you are in your 40s/50s and have a thick head of hair while your peers are balding and using all sorts of weird comb-overs to look presentable.  and not everyone looks good with a shaved head (I know I certainly don't) -the payoff is tremendous both in social life and in career

Thank you for your great feedback , Its always good to hear from Dr.Shapiro's patient who had hair transplant with 20 years of experience , So I really appreciate your insight. 

Yes even after one year of hair transplant I can see the payoff in my social life , Just two weeks ago  I cut my hair super short ( 3/4 of an inch ,Equal to 2cm ) and I still feel very confident to go out with very short hair since there is almost no sign of baldness , Even under harsh sunlight I can barely see my scalp or thinning. 

One thing that made me very happy with my hair transplant is I feel like I got my old look back ( When I was 25 ) , Most of it is because the result is super natural which is even hard for me to tell I did have surgery.

my average density in front half for this surgery was 30 graft per cm2 which is the lowest possible and probably the minimum amount to avoid any sign of baldness, Having said my hair caliber ( Thickness ) is above average which helps my overall result looks better than the average 30 grafts per cm2 density.

• Administrators

Beautiful result @Dr. Ron Shapiro 👏🏼

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.