3 months, 1541 grafts, pitting and scarring in recipient area. Devastated.

Posted (edited)

posting on behalf of my husband.

He just finished an oral course of steroids (Prednisone) which were recommended by the surgeon, they did not help . He is currently using Oral and Topical Min, as well as Fin, along with Tretinoin. Nothing is helping the pitting holes in the recipient area. About to hit 3 months in 4 days. What else can he do? Surgery date was March 2nd .. to mention he did have infection in the recipient area that developed post op. Luckily he was still in Turkey the surgeon was able to drain the infection give him topical antibiotic and the infection cleared quickly. He was also placed on oral antibiotic after surgery. 

My husband is completely devastated, and I am heart broken for him. We both believed he was going to one of the best doctors, surgeon is very reputable with 1 year plus long waiting list located in Ankara in order to avoid an outcome like this. The surgeon seems to think this will heal with “time” and the pitting was caused by the infection and hair growth will not be affected, but from our research my husband and I think otherwise. He has been to multiple dermatologist who all say this is a surgical complication. 

please share any thoughts, advice, potential treatments. If you have experienced the same issue please share your journey. Thank you. 

IMG_5484.jpeg

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

IMG_5487.jpeg

IMG_5503.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

Edited by Jalex2024
Added information

IMG_4527.thumb.jpeg.217e7153a397d1afef31db2078d5d032.jpegpre opIMG_4569.thumb.jpeg.7b67f6b79eb4fce45c0581bbfd531a7c.jpeg

hairline design pre-surgeryIMG_4691.thumb.jpeg.bd505028a39c03cb8fd65e90fc9cd3cf.jpegpost op infection note the areas of pus in hairlineIMG_4722.thumb.jpeg.b8ceb55fd84734b5f524cb975bf0e06f.jpeginfection post drainage by surgeonIMG_4724.thumb.jpeg.d9f5dd7a24e9c696b83e38da2c05653f.jpeginfection post drainage by surgeonIMG_4914.thumb.jpeg.fc070afa4012caae7a2f7d43e47175d4.jpegabout 3 weeks post op 

IMG_4725.jpeg

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

Who is the surgeon because he/she should be providing follow up medical help/support and advice for treating this. I would see a doctor you trust or probably better yet see if you can have a consultation with a recommended doctor for post op treatment. Having said that if the first couple of photos is where your husband is at now then that is normal for only three and a bit months post op. Everyone is different in their post op growth and it can take four, five months before any real growth begins to appear. Wishing you all the best!

Thank you for the reply! We have been in contact with the surgeon, he has suggested some treatments that have not helped and some that are not possible to obtain here in the states. It’s not so much the growth that is the cause of concern, but rather the pitted appearance of the scalp. 

To be honest it does not really look bad. With normal hair length and at a normal distance, nobody will even notice. 

Relax and let nature do its thing. You'll be surprised at the outcome. 3 months is too early to be freaking out over ANYTHING HT related. 

• Administrators

3 months is way too early to judge a result. You’re still healing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Posted (edited)

@Melvin as an admin of this site I’m sure you have seen a fair share of transplant results, have you seen issues with the scalp skin like this that have had favorable results? Or can you direct me to any specific posts?

Unfortunately I have not unlocked the ability to send messages, if you like you can message me on Reddit if you have an account my username is EJE2017
Edited by Jalex2024
Spelling