Pluggy hairline removal / donor restocking, 2 repairs with Dr Ball (Maitland Clinic)

5 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

Nape hair can be used, but that hair is much more likely to fall out over the years. I think you can get a nice improvement by transplanting just behind the current hairline. I don't think nape hairs would be needed because you'd be leaving the hair in front that you have now. You don't really need too many grafts because you're not trying to lower the hairline. You just want to thicken up the area in the green below. However you may be able to use nape hairs if you definitely wanted to, depending on how good that hair is on you.

Thanks Al and Gatsby. Will think this over, for that central gap at least

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

4 minutes ago, bigmistake said:

How is the scarring in the hairline. It looks like Dr Ball punched too many grafts right next to each other which may cause a linear scar. I hope I am wrong and you don't get much scarring.

Also thanks for sharing high resolution photos. Most people share photos that get blurry when zoomed.

IMG_20240717_135206.jpg

Thanks for the care mate, I think the post-op photos look well, bloody, but they heal very well and Dr Ball was extremely careful not to overdo the punch proximity, even if they seem they're almost connected. Not sure if that spot is the one I pasted below a week later, but you can see what I mean, the center of the punches is smaller than the red dots look post-op

Anyhow, I thankfully got no linear or other visible scars as you can see in my prev posts, the outcome is tremendously better than I was expecting

image.png

• Like 1

Two successful repairs (pluggy hairline removal + donor restoration) with Dr Ball - The Maitland Clinic

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/72766-pluggy-hairline-removal-donor-restocking-2-repairs-with-dr-ball-maitland-clinic/

2 hours ago, hb111 said:

How soon after your initial HT did you reach out to Dr Ball? Also what was the total cost? Thanks so much

I had my consultation around the 6 month mark as my first HT grew very quickly, and 5 months later I was planned for my first repair surgery

Cost wise it's 10/graft for repairs, to revert the damage a hairmill wreaks on you for a fraction of that price

I thought it steep but then I saw how long repairs take, took a full day of surgery for ~700 grafts, especially for the extractions. Reach out to them if you have a high nr to extract and multiple sessions needed, see if that changes anything

12 hours ago, bigmistake said:

I'm really happy for you, what was the transection rate of the removed grafts ? What machine and punch did Dr Ball use ?

Thank you!

Transection rate I didn't ask. Dr Ball uses the WAW system from Devroye

1 hour ago, Paul_ said:

Thank you!

Transection rate I didn't ask. Dr Ball uses the WAW system from Devroye

I just saw a video on YouTube about the WAW system. The doctor was putting the punch on an already taken out graft and the punch was not transecting it. It seems you may have had a very low transection rate. Whenever you talk o Dr Ball, do mention that someone was asking about that transection rate. Overall a very good job from Dr Ball.

• Like 1

Did Dr Ball remove pretty much every graft or were there some implanted in the mid scalp/behind the hairline that you left? 

Also, how does the donor region look with very short hair? Thanks again man super helpful stuff

59 minutes ago, hb111 said:

Did Dr Ball remove pretty much every graft or were there some implanted in the mid scalp/behind the hairline that you left? 

Also, how does the donor region look with very short hair? Thanks again man super helpful stuff

Everything from hairline, a few stragglers maybe left but nothing substantial

I kept most of the crown grafts - it's thin but looks natural. If in the future I lose more hair around it and I look like a palm tree back there will remove those too 

Check out the previous posts for photos in-between surgery 1 and 2 to see buzzed left side (repaired) and other photos on guard 2 (5mm)

On 7/15/2024 at 3:44 AM, Paul_ said:

Yes he had such patients, at least 2 he and David recalled right away. Not many people choose this route, and it should be done upon careful evaluation, if feasible in each case and after doing an extraction test - I don't want to push anyone into possibly a worse situation than they were in before

My suggestion, throw up your own thread with your current situation, so folks with more experience than me can help you as well. I might be biased to recommend the route I've taken otherwise

I'm curious what the extraction test consisted of when they were assessing you. Thanks again for your time 

1 hour ago, hb111 said:

I'm curious what the extraction test consisted of when they were assessing you. Thanks again for your time 

I had some 30 grafts from one temple extracted at another clinic outside the UK (I don't live there) months before my surgery with Dr Ball

It's our responsibility as repair patients to help our surgeon and maximize our own chances of success - in my case I did this extraction test, ran 2 dermatologist check-ups for whole scalp, prepped aftercare, and did several PRP rounds in donor area to improve blood flow around scar tissue

Was the extraction test to test the healing properties of your scalp? Would you say you generally heal quickly/don't scar? 

Yes, to see how the forehead in particular heals

I've got average skin, for example with light but visible scars from childhood scapes and cuts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hb111 said:

May I ask what other clinics you consulted with that also offered to perform a similar repair (total reversal)? 

I had great consultations with Drs Mureșanu, Devroye and Mwamba. Drs Feriduni and Ferreira I didn't have a chance to due to extended wait list, but they do amazing repairs as well

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
8 minutes ago, Paul_ said:

I had great consultations with Drs Mureșanu, Devroye and Mwamba. Drs Feriduni and Ferreira I didn't have a chance to due to extended wait list, but they do amazing repairs as well

Would be very interesting to know what each of Dr Sever, Devroye & Mwamba had to say about your case and what approach they would take. Also very fascinating to learn about the different approaches & ideas different top doctors have for the same case.

9 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Would be very interesting to know what each of Dr Sever, Devroye & Mwamba had to say about your case and what approach they would take. Also very fascinating to learn about the different approaches & ideas different top doctors have for the same case.

It's fascinating now in hindsight. It was a tad nerve wracking when I was going through it 🙂 

Disclaimer: don't take this as a statement of fact of how these surgeons always operate. They are great exactly because they tailor their approach to each patient. Also, they all evaluated me not only medically but also if I was rational and reasonable about my expectations, understood the risks, etc 

Dr Muresanu: lengthy conversation, empathetic, logical, cautious. Evaluating if my HT could be salvaged vs the risk of extensive hairline extractions scarring. Plan to go step by step with a small round of extractions (~200) first then reevaluate/continue

Dr Devroye: Experienced and involving his up and coming young doctors in the consultation. Proposed going in with a full round of extractions, then finish it off with a 2nd round

Dr Mwamba: confident, explained in detail his approach including doing a first smaller round of extractions (~30%), then doing the full sweep afterward. Also explained how he stitches up the extraction area to prevent scarring

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul_ said:

It's fascinating now in hindsight. It was a tad nerve wracking when I was going through it 🙂 

Disclaimer: don't take this as a statement of fact of how these surgeons always operate. They are great exactly because they tailor their approach to each patient. Also, they all evaluated me not only medically but also if I was rational and reasonable about my expectations, understood the risks, etc 

Dr Muresanu: lengthy conversation, empathetic, logical, cautious. Evaluating if my HT could be salvaged vs the risk of extensive hairline extractions scarring. Plan to go step by step with a small round of extractions (~200) first then reevaluate/continue

Dr Devroye: Experienced and involving his up and coming young doctors in the consultation. Proposed going in with a full round of extractions, then finish it off with a 2nd round

Dr Mwamba: confident, explained in detail his approach including doing a first smaller round of extractions (~30%), then doing the full sweep afterward. Also explained how he stitches up the extraction area to prevent scarring

Was Dr Ball pretty confident from the beginning after warning you about scarring risks etc?

On 5/30/2024 at 5:11 AM, Paul_ said:
  • I discarded SMP on donor as that is not the best long term option, for me at least
  •  

Why wasn't SMP an option? I've seen some good results covering donor scarring from SMP, but would love to get your thoughts on it. 

11 hours ago, hb111 said:

Was Dr Ball pretty confident from the beginning after warning you about scarring risks etc?

I wouldn't be here is he wasn't, would I now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sekiro109 said:

Why wasn't SMP an option? I've seen some good results covering donor scarring from SMP, but would love to get your thoughts on it. 

Scar tissue doesn't hold SMP ink well / long term and refreshing it will only amplify this problem over time. Hence, repeatedly puncturing the same spots maybe 15 times in the next 30 years doesn't seem like a solid plan to me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hb111 said:

Did Dr Ball insist on the extraction test or was that for your own peace of mind?

I led with it

1 minute ago, Paul_ said:

I led with it

Sorry I'm a little confused. So it was your decision to do the extraction test just for your own peace of mind? Thanks again