Bad Experience with Dr. Couto and FUExpert

I'm perplexed that you'd decide to get a transplant in the first place since according to your preop pics, you don't look like you needed a transplant at all.

They mentioned I just needed to provide my Skype username and they would call me through Skype, which I found odd.

How is that odd? Thats how docs do it.

21 hours ago, Zizou88 said:

Hey @MarkS - if you have any helpful info please share it with the group. As Melvin, mentioned so far you only have 2 posts and need 10 so I can PM. 

I waited for the his message and no answer. He asked for my email which I gave still no info from him

15 hours ago, wpwd said:

I'm perplexed that you'd decide to get a transplant in the first place since according to your preop pics, you don't look like you needed a transplant at all.

How is that odd? Thats how docs do it.

Two years ago, noticing the wait time and seeing my hair thinning, I scheduled the initial appointment. One year ago, when I had my consultation, I was expecting my hair to get worse. Surprisingly, my hair actually improved. About 50 days before the appointment date, I asked FUExpert if they could give my appointment slot to someone else and move me to the back of the line. However, they refused, stating I would lose the down payment if I didn't move forward with my scheduled date, so I decided to move forward with it.

Regarding the Skype call I initially found it odd, as I was expecting an actual meeting link, like Google Meet, Zoom, etc. Most of the virtual meetings I’ve had in the past were through Zoom. As expected, this approach proved to be very inefficient, and we ended up playing phone tag, unable to speak to the doctor until 90 minutes after the scheduled time.

On 8/17/2024 at 6:06 PM, Zizou88 said:

I would lose the down payment if I didn't move forward with my scheduled date, so I decided to move forward with it.

Ok that makes sense. You cant blame the clinic for that knowing their payment policy.

Regarding the Skype call I initially found it odd, as I was expecting an actual meeting link, like Google Meet, Zoom, etc. Most of the virtual meetings I’ve had in the past were through Zoom. As expected, this approach proved to be very inefficient, and we ended up playing phone tag, unable to speak to the doctor until 90 minutes after the scheduled time.

Every clinic isn't going to follow exactly the same platform you or others use. Every clinic has a different approach. I've had zoom, skype and meet calls with clinics. It wouldn't be my place to dictate what platform clinics should use. Nothing is standardized across the HT industry.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with fuexpert. YMWV with clinics.

Not trying to defend any clinic cuz I know your experience wasnt great so I feel you dude. Wish it wouldve gone smoother for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@wpwd Thanks. Yes, it is what it is. Hopefully the end result turns out great.
At the end of the day I want to share as much information and as detail as possible so people have a better understanding prior to going to a procedure and can ask the right questions. 

Regaridng your points:

1- Yeah, not blaming the clinic, just explaining why I decided to move forward with the transplant.  

2- Yes, understand every clinic not following the same platform but wanted to share as this was the only clinic that I had issues with when having the call and found unusual their method. Every clinic has their method but some seem to be more efficient than others.

Overall this is just a small note but wanted to share so others have the full information. 

Main issue is billing/process transparency.  

In the last 2 months I have spoken to several patients of Dr. Couto and have yet to find anyone who received two separate reports—one for implanted grafts and one for extracted grafts. Most of them are happy customers who recommend Dr. Couto, however, they all received a single report and assumed they paid for the extracted grafts.

This is concerning because (a) it contradicts what the doctor told me in our last conversation, where he mentioned that he shares two reports, one with the number of grafts extracted and one with the grafts implanted (after splits) with all of his patients and (b) he say he charges for graft implanted, however his patients (like it happened to me) believe they are paying for graft extracted. 

Edited by Zizou88

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2024 at 7:38 PM, Zizou88 said:

@wpwd 
Main issue is billing/process transparency.  

In the last 2 months I have spoken to several patients of Dr. Couto and have yet to find anyone who received two separate reports—one for implanted grafts and one for extracted grafts. Most of them are happy customers who recommend Dr. Couto, however, they all received a single report and assumed they paid for the extracted grafts.

This is concerning because (a) it contradicts what the doctor told me in our last conversation, where he mentioned that he shares two reports, one with the number of grafts extracted and one with the grafts implanted (after splits) with all of his patients and (b) he say he charges for graft implanted, however his patients (like it happened to me) believe they are paying for graft extracted. 

Look dude, no offense, reports are fine for your records. But whats more important is the result of the transplant regardless what a piece of paper says about number and type of grafts. Again, I'm not trying to put you down or make light of your situation because it deals directly with a vital aspect of your appearance which you care about deeply; But I think youre scrutinizing this way too much. That said, you should take a step back, stop analyzing things with a microscope and just wait on the results. You got to relax.

Keep in mind also that clinics have limits to its patience. If you keep badgering and poking at the doctor and why the clinic did this or that and what not, you run the risk of getting banned for life by the clinic. Doctors have done this to patients many times across all medical disciplines because they've had enough. Its messed up I know, but it can happen.

I'm saying this with all the respect in the world. Not saying that you have no right to complain but make sure your complaint is handled in a manner that doesnt erect barriers against potentially receiving transplants again from the same clinic which is world renown as best in the business.

Keep in mind also that money comes and goes. Its always in flux. Yes, its your hard earned money but its not your whole life. In case you lose your money by the amount not matched to a good transplant result, you can always return to the clinic for a possible freebee (if thats part of their policy which I bet it is) or go to another clinic. But feel rest assured that you will recoup it in time.

Hope this helps. I really do wish I were some magician to caste a spell over this issue for your sake but unfortunately we all live in the land of reality.

Let me know how else I can help.

Edited by wpwd

Posted (edited)

@wpwd Look dude, I'm just stating the facts. You can take them however you want. If you don't care about this information, how clinics bill, process, reports, etc. that's fine—this topic isn't for you, so feel free to move on.

I wish I had this information before my procedure. I think it sheds light on how clinics bill their customers and process during the procedure, and it seems others have found this information useful, which is my goal spending time sharing these details.

My goal here is to ensure that anyone considering a transplant fully understands the process and billing @FUExpert. If they decide to move forward, they'll know what to expect and what questions to ask before the procedure. I would have appreciated having all this information beforehand, it would have avoided all the issues I encountered. The reason why I am going into every detail it's so everybody have a full picture of what to expect in terms of process, billings and reports they should get.

Edited by Zizou88

• Moderators
On 8/20/2024 at 7:38 PM, Zizou88 said:

I personally think every clinic should be charging only for grafts implanted. That's what you are paying for. You go there to have a hair transplant, not to have extraction holes created without a hair graft being transplanted. 

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)

@Al - Moderator  I honestly think every clinic should charge whatever way they want. However, I think every clinic should be transparent of what they are charging for. This seems to be an industry issue. I don't think there should be customers thinking they are paying for grafts extracted (based on industry standard) but they are actually paying for graft implanted. They should know what they are paying for prior to the procedure.

Also, I feel if you are charging for graft implanted there should be a detail report for the customers to be aware of how many graft have been extracted. Understanding what was used from your donor area is important information to have.

Edited by Zizou88

On 6/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, salsazio said:

9€/graft

900€ consultation 

He is a good doctor, no one doubts that. But his prices do not show a desire to help people (the main mission that a doctor should have).

900€ for a consultation is simply stealing.

Little awareness unfortunately.

On 8/28/2024 at 10:43 PM, PelazoVenAMi said:

He is a good doctor, no one doubts that. But his prices do not show a desire to help people (the main mission that a doctor should have).

Which doctor are you referring to, because these are not Couto's prices.

On 8/28/2024 at 10:43 PM, PelazoVenAMi said:

I totally get your point PelazoVenAMi 

It’s important to remember that, like any service or product, the pricing of hair transplants is influenced by market dynamics—primarily supply and demand. This is a business, after all, and doctors are here to make a living. When Dr. Zarev first started, his prices were likely much lower than they are today. As his reputation grew and more patients sought him out, it’s natural that his fees increased accordingly. I believe the €900 consultation fee might be applied towards the cost of the final hair transplant if you decide to proceed, so you only forfeit it if you choose not to go ahead. That would make a lot of sense in a market where demand is high.

That said, it’s clear that Dr. Zarev, while successfully running a business, is also committed to helping people struggling with hair loss. His pricing reflects both his expertise and the high demand for his services. The more satisfied clients he has, the more his reputation—and, consequently, his earnings—will grow.

This isn’t unique to Dr. Zarev. In the U.S., for example, Dr. Konior charges $12 to $15 per graft, which is even higher. 

It’s also likely that Dr. Couto will raise his prices and perhaps start charging for consultations as demand for his services remains at an all-time high. Despite the cost, many people are willing to pay a premium for the best possible care and results.

Personally, I didn’t pay for my consultation with Dr. Couto, and I paid €4.5 per graft for my procedure. It was a significant investment, but one I would make again in a heartbeat. The results were worth every penny.

In the end, these doctors are among the best in the field, and their prices reflect the quality of their work. For many, the peace of mind and results they offer are worth the cost.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 6:10 AM, Al - Moderator said:

I personally think every clinic should be charging only for grafts implanted. That's what you are paying for. You go there to have a hair transplant, not to have extraction holes created without a hair graft being transplanted. 

Completely agree with @Al - Moderator , clinics should charge for grafts implanted. Let’s move on from this topic as it has been thoroughly discussed.

What stands out here is the lack of appreciation for the considerable effort and skill that went into your customized hair transplant. The clinic dedicated significant time and resources to tailor the procedure specifically to your needs, ensuring the best possible results. It’s surprising that this effort hasn’t been acknowledged.

So It seems unfortunate that the focus has been solely on the number of grafts and not on the quality of care and the expertise provided. The team worked with great passion and dedication to achieve the best outcome for you. It’s worth recognizing their efforts rather than dwelling on the cost. After all, you had your surgery with Dr Couto, one of the leading doctors in the field, and that level of expertise and commitment is invaluable. But it appears you have little to no appreciation for it. A real shame, in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, BaldingEye said:

I totally get your point PelazoVenAMi 

It’s important to remember that, like any service or product, the pricing of hair transplants is influenced by market dynamics—primarily supply and demand. This is a business, after all, and doctors are here to make a living. When Dr. Zarev first started, his prices were likely much lower than they are today. As his reputation grew and more patients sought him out, it’s natural that his fees increased accordingly. I believe the €900 consultation fee might be applied towards the cost of the final hair transplant if you decide to proceed, so you only forfeit it if you choose not to go ahead. That would make a lot of sense in a market where demand is high.

That said, it’s clear that Dr. Zarev, while successfully running a business, is also committed to helping people struggling with hair loss. His pricing reflects both his expertise and the high demand for his services. The more satisfied clients he has, the more his reputation—and, consequently, his earnings—will grow.

This isn’t unique to Dr. Zarev. In the U.S., for example, Dr. Konior charges $12 to $15 per graft, which is even higher. 

It’s also likely that Dr. Couto will raise his prices and perhaps start charging for consultations as demand for his services remains at an all-time high. Despite the cost, many people are willing to pay a premium for the best possible care and results.

Personally, I didn’t pay for my consultation with Dr. Couto, and I paid €4.5 per graft for my procedure. It was a significant investment, but one I would make again in a heartbeat. The results were worth every penny.

In the end, these doctors are among the best in the field, and their prices reflect the quality of their work. For many, the peace of mind and results they offer are worth the cost.

Yes, I understand how the market works and why the price is increasing.

Best

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BaldingEye said:

Completely agree with @Al - Moderator , clinics should charge for grafts implanted. Let’s move on from this topic as it has been thoroughly discussed.

What stands out here is the lack of appreciation for the considerable effort and skill that went into your customized hair transplant. The clinic dedicated significant time and resources to tailor the procedure specifically to your needs, ensuring the best possible results. It’s surprising that this effort hasn’t been acknowledged.

So It seems unfortunate that the focus has been solely on the number of grafts and not on the quality of care and the expertise provided. The team worked with great passion and dedication to achieve the best outcome for you. It’s worth recognizing their efforts rather than dwelling on the cost. After all, you had your surgery with Dr Couto, one of the leading doctors in the field, and that level of expertise and commitment is invaluable. But it appears you have little to no appreciation for it. A real shame, in my opinion.

I agree. At this point, we’re splitting hairs (pun intended). I can see both sides, say you extract 4,000 grafts, but out of those 4,000 grafts, 1,000 are transected. Those grafts won’t be transplanted, should the surgeon charge for those grafts? 

I can understand why charging per transplanted graft makes sense, as these are hairs that the patient will grow. I believe debating this is semantics. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.