Help on Topical Finasteride 0.3%

Hi guys,

My doctor has prescribed me a topical lotion with:
- Minoxidil 3%
- Finasteride 0.3%
- Progesterone 1%
- Hydrocortisone butyrate 0,1%
- Ketoconazolo 0,5%
He said to apply 2ml before going to bed. 

This is not my first treatment, I've been using Minoxidil since 2021 (2% then 5%). 
Since January 2023 I've been using a lotion very similar to the above mentioned but without Finasteride and a supplement with ajuga reptans (natural anti-dht)

2ml of the new lotion every day it's  equivalent to apply 6mg of Finasteride on the scalp. Is it not too much? How much will go sistemic? 

Maybe should I put just 1ml or even less?

Before starting the new treatment I will do blood test and spermiogram to have a baseline. Also I will stop the natural anti-dht supplement.

I really need some suggestions! Thanks.

6mg a day seems excessive to me, I've never hear of anyone using that high a dose. I think the usual dose is 0.1% or 0.25% 1x daily, but there was a study which showed doses as low as 0.005% are effective. 

• Valued Contributor

Yes 0.3% topical finasteride is what I would call a high dose. I was on 0.25% topical finasteride and after a couple of months I developed sexual side effects. I see my dermatologist later in the year and I'm thinking of trying 0.1%. However if this has been prescribed by your doctor and you are not getting side effects then I would stick with it. All the best!

I have not started the therapy yet. I am waiting to take blood test and spermiogram. I was thinking about using 1ml 3 times a week instead of everyday. Or using it every day but just 0.5 ml, even though with this second approach I'm not sure I will be able to cover all the interested area.