Hattingen Hair FUE Transplantation 3100 Grafts on 23.02.2024

Hello everyone,

Since I've been reading along in this forum and ultimately decided to undergo my third hair transplant (HT), I also want to share my experiences with you. I believe it's only fair, as it's always a tough decision where to go in the end, and sharing impressions here can greatly help others.

A little about me: I'm 37 years old and have already had two HTs done in Turkey. The first one was in early 2017, where the temples were done. The second was at the end of 2018 for density, as there was hardly any density after the first one. I had both done in Istanbul at Hair of Istanbul. At that time, I didn't know much about it and was somewhat blinded by the advertising. Today, I would do it completely differently and would rather spend a little more money upfront to get it done properly. Well, you learn from everything.

Since it was also getting thinner in the middle of my head and at the transplanted areas (temples), I decided to go for another HT. But this time at Hattingen Hair.

First, I had a video call with Dr. Muresanu, and we discussed the main things. He could get a first impression. I also liked that not everything was just through video and pictures; he himself said he wanted to get a personal impression. So I made an appointment with him in Stetten and also felt good during the first personal consultation. He took a lot of time, looked at everything calmly, and also realistically said what is possible. Since I still had enough donor hair, he was confident that he could extract about 3500 grafts without making it look too thin on the sides in the end. He also said he would like to adjust the hairline a bit, as it was too straight. I was happy with that, and we made another appointment to start working on the hairline and see how the extraction and implantation would go for me.

I opted for the FUE method because just the thought of having something cut out of the back of my head alone gives me panic.

On the second visit a few weeks later, my hairline was adjusted. Again, I felt very comfortable and well-advised here. Some of the implants that were too deep and looked unnatural were replaced here. Then we scheduled a final date for the HT: February 23, 2024. Dr. Muresanu also told me right away that a slightly larger operation would be necessary to densify everything and make the donor area a bit more even. So, everything was dealt with openly. Also, the information that minor adjustments might be necessary to remove more hair from the first surgeries.

What was also important to me: I didn't really want 3500 grafts, as it was important to me that my donor area doesn't thin out too much. However, Dr. Muresanu said he would like to achieve the best possible results, as it is quite thin in my case. It would also be possible with a clear conscience to extract so many grafts. We then agreed on about 3200. You only see how much is possible in the end on the day of the operation, as after shaving, much more becomes visible than before.

Since I already had two HTs, there were also some scars visible in the donor area, so in the end, it was about 3150 grafts. Unfortunately, I also didn't know how much was already taken in the previous surgeries.

After the first operation back then, the hairline was a bit too low. It looked unnatural. It was ignored that hair loss continues as you age. So, long-term planning was important to me.

My donor area was very irregularly thinned out and very scarred in some places. So, it was essential that this operation be carried out really carefully and meticulously. Dr. Muresanu said it was a repair case, and something like this is always a bit more complex than if you get it done properly from the start.

Day of the operation: Greeting from Dr. Muresanu, his wife, and team. The team was very friendly, accommodating, and nice. There was also a new employee of Dr. Muresanu present, who had worked for many years at a very well-known HT clinic in Vancouver. So, I felt particularly well taken care of. Since only one operation takes place per day, intensive care is guaranteed here. This was certainly not the case for me in Turkey. Now, photos were taken, hair was shaved, the hairline was drawn, and the donor area was examined. Then it started. Some grafts were extracted for examination to determine the quality and to see which grafts would be placed where. And the whole procedure began. The only uncomfortable thing about the whole session was the injections in the head. But I already knew that and also knew it from the previous surgeries. I was informed about every step and was also asked again what was important to me. I found that very good too. It was a rather long session because every step was carried out very precisely and with great care. Despite the long session, I still felt very fit at the end. My hotel was nearby, so there was no strain here either. The next morning, I was there for hair washing and to discuss everything further. Dr. Muresanu explained the aftercare to me again, and I made my way home.

Conclusion: I felt very comfortable and well-advised from start to finish. There were really no points of criticism, and the colleague from Vancouver was extremely professional, just like Dr. Muresanu and his wife. Thanks again to the whole team for the good care. I think it's very important not to have a bad feeling about something like this, and I can only say that this was never the case at any time. As for how the results will turn out now, nobody can say for sure at the moment. I hope the density will improve significantly, and I will have somewhat fuller hair again. So far, I am very optimistic and will bring regular updates here.

Back before surgery.jpg

Front before surgery.jpg

Hairline before surgery.jpg

Left side before surgery.jpg

Left side close-up before surgery.jpg

Right side before surgery.jpg

Right side close-up before surgery.jpg

Top before surgery 2.jpg

Top before surgery.jpg

Your donor will definitely look better, ironically enough after more grafts were taken, because it will be more homogeneously extracted. 

Happy growing 👌

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Excellent write up. I had my third consultation with Dr Sever this morning funnily enough and will also be having hairline extractions, and also adding density to the midscalp. So quite an interesting case for me this one!

Could you share some close up pictures of your hairline currently so we can see how everything has healed?

• Like 2

• Administrators

Happy growing and excellent choice 🙏

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your responses. I am very hopeful that the results will be good. Here is a current picture. It’s been a bit over three months now, and the hair has become grayer. I think this is because of the grafts from the sides, and I did some cover up before the operation.

with the donor section and the homogeneity. That’s a good point. Maybe it will look better in some time. 

dr. Muresanu draw the hairline. Most of other work the assistants did and his wife. One assistant was working long time in Vancouver at a very known place for Hauttransplantation. I was very happy with the work.

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

Edited by Lionhead
  • Like 4

• Valued Contributor
12 minutes ago, Lionhead said:

Thank you all for your responses. I am very hopeful that the results will be good. Here is a current picture. It’s been a bit over three months now, and the hair has become grayer. I think this is because of the grafts from the sides, and I did some cover up before the operation.

with the donor section and the homogeneity. That’s a good point. Maybe it will look better in some time. 

dr. Muresanu draw the hairline. Most of other work the assistants did and his wife. One assistant was working long time in Vancouver at a very known place for Hauttransplantation. I was very happy with the work.

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

The extractions from the hairline look to have healed completely. Can't see any scarring at all which is great. How many grafts were extracted from the hairline?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:02 PM, Lionhead said:

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

Great start already! 

Any chance you could share pics of the donor area from recent days...?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Please excuse the late response. I've been very busy. Thanks for the responses so far. I'd like to give you an update 🙂 It's been almost 5 months since the transplant and I think the results are already amazing. I can wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Muresanu. I think the results will get even better in the coming months. If you are currently looking for a very good doctor for a hair transplant, then choose the best. Dr. Muresanu, Hattingen Hair.

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Looks great.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

This is 5 months…..just wow!!! Super impressive already and to think you have several months of growing and thickening to come!! Looks fantastic 

• Like 1