UK shampoos for Seb Derm post transplant.

Posted (edited)

Since my transplant I’ve had a few flare ups / sheds which after originally thinking it was covid related have since been diagnosed with Seb Derm. Struggling to find a shampoo that I can use daily.

What shampoo is anyone in the UK using? I know H&S used to do a clinical strength one that’s been discontinued. I need something I can use in between my Nizoral use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by ScottishGuy21

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Since my transplant I’ve had a few flares ups / sheds which after originally thinking it was covid related have since been diagnosed with Seb Derm. Struggling to find a shampoo that I can use daily.

What shampoo is anyone in the UK using? I know H&S used to do a clinical strength one that’s been discontinued. I need something I can use in between my Nizoral use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic suggested a shampoo to me for this called Juniper Scalp Therapy by Tony Maleedy. It's not cheap, but I found it to be quite effective. Also recommended to get some Betacap solution (a topical steroidal ointment) to use sparingly if things are flaring up a bit more than usual.

The advantage of the Juniper shampoo is that it's actually quite a nice shampoo that lathers up very nicely. I like the scent personally (the missus, not so much!). Worth a go if you're struggling.

2 hours ago, Berba11 said:

Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic suggested a shampoo to me for this called Juniper Scalp Therapy by Tony Maleedy. It's not cheap, but I found it to be quite effective. Also recommended to get some Betacap solution (a topical steroidal ointment) to use sparingly if things are flaring up a bit more than usual.

The advantage of the Juniper shampoo is that it's actually quite a nice shampoo that lathers up very nicely. I like the scent personally (the missus, not so much!). Worth a go if you're struggling.

Thanks for the help much appreciated, just ordered a bottle now. I don’t mind paying the extra if prolongs the periods in between flare ups! My derm has prescribed me elecon lotion to use sparingly, but stressed only during a serious flare up.

Are you able to use anything to style your hair? I’ve gone without for a while now, largely out worry with most things seem to included trigger inducing contents. 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Thanks for the help much appreciated, just ordered a bottle now. I don’t mind paying the extra if prolongs the periods in between flare ups! My derm has prescribed me elecon lotion to use sparingly, but stressed only during a serious flare up.

Are you able to use anything to style your hair? I’ve gone without for a while now, largely out worry with most things seem to included trigger inducing contents. 

With styling products, I too find some will start to cause a bit of irritation the longer they're in. Products that seems to cause no issues are things like hair creams/leave-in conditioners (Jamaican caster oil Shea Moisturiser for eg). But I rarely put any product in to be honest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2024 at 6:55 PM, Berba11 said:

Hi, I‘m not able to write a DM so I will ask here. I‘ve ordered the shampoo and it should arrive soon. Do you think I should only use the Juniper Shampoo from that on, or should I continue using 2x Ketoconazol/Nizoral per week and in addition the other days the Juniper Shampoo, what do you think? How did you used it? I‘ve also ordered the conditioner in addition and really looking forward how it will turn out.

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, mero1748 said:

Hi, I‘m not able to write a DM so I will ask here. I‘ve ordered the shampoo and it should arrive soon. Do you think I should only use the Juniper Shampoo from that on, or should I continue using 2x Ketoconazol/Nizoral per week and in addition the other days the Juniper Shampoo, what do you think? How did you used it? I‘ve also ordered the conditioner in addition and really looking forward how it will turn out.

Honestly I don’t know the answer, but I see no reason to not use both. 

I’ve been mixing it up between Nizoral & Juniper recently myself and seems to be ok. 

• Thanks 1