Posted (edited)

Hello,

Its been two months since my hair transplant..  Do you think if i go for prp therapy will it increase the growth rate or will it not help, and if it will help When is the best time to go? 

P.S On the day of the transplant, they did prp which was included in the price

Thanks 

Edited by Ivan Ivanov

I could not agree more!…this PRP money grab has gotten totally outrageous…🙄🫨😬

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

To be honest (this is just my opinion), ongoing PRP therapy is a waste of money. You are better off putting a small part of that money into taking finasteride. All the best!

As far as I know, Finasteride does not promote new hair growth, it only prevents the loss of old hair, and when it is stopped, the hair begins to fall out again, that is, it slows down hair loss, but does not stop the process, that's why I do not take finasteride. and I don't know if it harms the sexual and reproductive system. Correct me if I'm wrong..

About Prp, I have no idea, that's why I'm asking you

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanov said:

As far as I know, Finasteride does not promote new hair growth, it only prevents the loss of old hair, and when it is stopped, the hair begins to fall out again, that is, it slows down hair loss, but does not stop the process, that's why I do not take finasteride. and I don't know if it harms the sexual and reproductive system. Correct me if I'm wrong..

About Prp, I have no idea, that's why I'm asking you

There are only two FDA approved drugs for MPB. MPB is progressive so the first line of treatment should be medical. You could potentially stabilize your hair loss with Finasteride. Of course this is a personal choice and unfortunately taking the drug is the only way to know if you develop side effects. Personally I think trying finasteride prior to surgery puts you in a better position. There is also minoxidil that can help with MPB also though it doesn’t treat it at the root cause. All the best. 

• Like 4

Hey man, I'm quite sure PRP will do very little for male pattern baldness. It might help the hair quality a little but not very much and it will still thin no matter how many PRP treatments you have. For women it may help more as they don't usually suffer with the underlying issue men have with Dihydrotestosterone (DHT.

As Gatsby said there's only 2 approved meds for hair loss which are proven. 

Thank you, and if i may ask after what day after transplant is heavy sweating safe? I live in a very hot country and in the morning while I sleep it is very warm and I started sweating very intensively after 40-45 days but the last 2 weeks it is hot as hell..

Even though there are many studies suggesting that PRP is effective for AGA, in my opinion, its impact is only at the microscopic level. It is very rare for PRP to make an obvious cosmetic difference that leads to patient satisfaction. Eventually, the effects of PRP wear off, and you will need to undergo the treatment again. I prefer recommending low-dose oral minoxidil (2.5 mg/day on Mon-Wed-Fri). I believe oral minoxidil is much more effective in terms of increasing hair growth, increasing hair thickness, and cost.

Dr. Wunny (Wipawan Vathananai)

Hair transplant surgeon & Dermatologist (ISHRS Fellowship 2022-2023)

BHI Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.bhiclinic.com/en/)

No offense, however stating that there are “many” studies “suggesting“ that PRP is effective for AGA = nothing…I would insist on seeing the exact list of these studies and if those who publish them are impartial…some have even suggested that the moon is made of cheese.

• Like 2

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 6/12/2024 at 1:27 AM, Ivan Ivanov said:

if i may ask after what day after transplant is heavy sweating safe?

This question has been answered in your other thread, and yet you continue asking. At some point, attempting to alleviate your concerns becomes a waste of others' valuable time.

I think you should consider seeking professional help to cope with your anxieties instead of asking the same questions over and over. Nothing we say is likely to make you feel better if it hasn't already.

🧑🏽‍⚕️ Help others by naming your clinic and surgeon, in your post title if possible.

💊 Help yourself by directing medical questions to medical professionals. No one here can safely provide medical advice like your primary care physician.

💬 Help the forum by adding a Like or other reaction to an existing comment before repeating what others have already said.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2024 at 10:50 PM, gillenator said:

This is helpful @gillenator.  I’ve had a number of consults recently and have more coming up with both HRN recommended surgeons and others not on the list.  I found that either PRP or Exosines or both were often mentioned, but one surgeon (on the HRN recommended list), his office pushed PRP pretty hard. I’m willing to spend money— if something will really make a noticeable difference. 

helpful  to hear your perspective that it doesn’t. 

41 minutes ago, Rawkerboi said:

If you are balding then doing PRP will do absolutely nothing to stop or slow hair loss caused by DHT. You need Finasteride and Minoxidil to slow down your Hair Loss

Thanks man!  I use both finasteride and minoxidil and have for several years.  Even knowing that, this clinic was still really pushing PRP.  It’s really hard to know what works vs what’s just (as @gillenator said) a money grab. They show before and after pictures, but I’m always wondering if it’s real, fake, hype, or what.  

On 6/10/2024 at 11:50 PM, gillenator said:

There are top tier clinics that offer PRP and I'm not sure why if they know it's basically a waste. Kind of makes the clinic look money hungry

Look guys, I’m not going to point fingers or make accusations but let’s face it, the cost of a centrifuge machine is minimal compared to how much revenue that countless PRP injections bring to the medical practice…I mean a patient asked me several years ago if I thought $12,000 for a single stand alone PRP treatment injection was reasonable 😳 I told him to run away as fast as he could!

Platelet Rich Plasma does not prevent MPB, does not reverse MPB, the injections DO NOTHING to treat MPB, PERIOD.

PRP treatments were developed for the purpose of facilitating the healing of athletic injuries (primarily to the joints such as elbows, knees, etc.)…the premise is that a high concentration of one’s platelets injected to the injured site will speed up the recovery time and get the athlete back on the field much quicker,  nothing more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

18 hours ago, gillenator said:

Look guys, I’m not going to point fingers or make accusations but let’s face it, the cost of a centrifuge machine is minimal compared to how much revenue that countless PRP injections bring to the medical practice…I mean a patient asked me several years ago if I thought $12,000 for a single stand alone PRP treatment injection was reasonable 😳 I told him to run away as fast as he could!

Platelet Rich Plasma does not prevent MPB, does not reverse MPB, the injections DO NOTHING to treat MPB, PERIOD.

PRP treatments were developed for the purpose of facilitating the healing of athletic injuries (primarily to the joints such as elbows, knees, etc.)…the premise is that a high concentration of one’s platelets injected to the injured site will speed up the recovery time and get the athlete back on the field much quicker,  nothing more.

Thanks for the insight.  Very helpful.