Need opinions/suggestions on whether I should get a hair transplant

Hi guys! I'm a long-time lurker of this community. 

I'm 27 M, Indian. I started losing hair significantly at 21. One day, I woke up, and the pillow cover had 20-25 hair. I tried PRP, but it didn't work. I used Fin for 3 months, then moved to Canada at 22 and just let it be. I messaged Dr Freitas once in 2021, but he rejected me, stating that I should use Fin and get back to him once it stops shedding altogether. Been back on fin since October 2021. My hair shed has decreased a lot... I don't see any hair on the pillow covers, but I encounter some hair on my fingers on the days I use shampoo. Have been thinking on/off about HT for a while now. I'm attaching my pics so I can get your thoughts on whether I should get it (all from this month).

P.S.: Tbh, I don't think it looks that bad (which is why I never seriously considered it) and that no one needs an HT. Still, I feel like I want to stop being conscious of the issue. For instance, on the days it rains, I immediately get reminded of it and try to cover it.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20240616_033045.jpg

IMG_20240616_033127.jpg

IMG_20240616_033200.jpg

IMG_20240616_033630.jpg

IMG_20240616_034410.jpg

IMG_20240616_034425.jpg

IMG_20240616_034500.jpg

IMG_20240616_034518.jpg

IMG_20240616_034557.jpg

IMG_20240616_034643.jpg

IMG_20240616_040532.jpg

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, _no_thanks_ said:

but I encounter some hair on my fingers on the days I use shampoo.

Losing 50 to 100 hairs daily is considered normal and is part of the hair growth cycle.

After seeing your pictures, I believe you are an ideal candidate for medication and non-surgical treatments, which can help you maintain your hair and delay the need for surgical intervention.

Currently, I don't think a hair transplant is necessary for you. Imho,risk to reward ration is unfavourable in your situation. Given that you are 27 years old, it would be prudent to wait another 4-5 years before considering hair transplant. During this period, you can effectively manage and preserve your hair through medication and other non-surgical therapies.

I hope this helps you. Good Luck Brother.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor

What are those red circles intended to highlight in the second to last picture? How good your hair is in those areas? You have a great head of hair with very, very minimal hair loss.

4 hours ago, _no_thanks_ said:

For instance, on the days it rains, I immediately get reminded of it and try to cover it.

I mean... Literally everyone's scalp shows when their hair is wet and yours doesn't even show very much. You're in a great position to simply take measures to hang onto the hair you have and avoid surgery.

13 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

Losing 50 to 100 hairs daily is considered normal and is part of the hair growth cycle.

After seeing your pictures, I believe you are an ideal candidate for medication and non-surgical treatments, which can help you maintain your hair and delay the need for surgical intervention.

Currently, I don't think a hair transplant is necessary for you. Imho,risk to reward ration is unfavourable in your situation. Given that you are 27 years old, it would be prudent to wait another 4-5 years before considering hair transplant. During this period, you can effectively manage and preserve your hair through medication and other non-surgical therapies.

I hope this helps you. Good Luck Brother.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, a dermatologist mentioned that everyone loses 50-100 hairs every day; it's just that before 21, I never noticed any shedding on the bed so it was definitely a shock. My rationale for considering an HR was that since I've been losing hair since 2017, I feel that it has probably stabilized. Also, the fact that I don't pay much attention to my hair now (no comb, very little styling) because it's not that dense anymore :(

But yes, I don't mind waiting for 4-5 years at all as it's not a priority right now; I just felt that I should start doing some research at least.

Out of curiosity, is it difficult to get an HT for density in the areas I've circled (considering there's already a lot of hair there)? And if I were to undergo an HT to fill those areas and the temples, how many grafts would you estimate?

Again, thanks a lot and good luck to you as well!

13 hours ago, Berba11 said:

What are those red circles intended to highlight in the second to last picture? How good your hair is in those areas? You have a great head of hair with very, very minimal hair loss.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

The areas I've circled are those where I wanted to improve the density since there used to be a lot there haha 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, _no_thanks_ said:

Out of curiosity, is it difficult to get an HT for density in the areas I've circled (considering there's already a lot of hair there)?

Yes, it is challenging to implant new hairs between existing ones. Even though skilled surgeons can perform this procedure, there's a significant risk of damaging the existing grafts. In your situation, if the surgery is successful, the visual improvement will be minimal. However, if complications arise, it could lead to significant problems. Therefore, the potential risks outweigh the benefits in your case, and hair transplantation should be avoided.

1 hour ago, _no_thanks_ said:

Also, the fact that I don't pay much attention to my hair now (no comb, very little styling) because it's not that dense anymore :(

To achieve a denser and fuller appearance for your hair, you can use hair fibers. Additionally, try using a hair thickening spray (try Aveda) as a pre-styler. After applying the spray, thoroughly blow-dry your hair on a low heat setting. Once dry, style your hair with a hair clay (try Moroccanoil). This routine will help add texture and volume to your hair, making it look more substantial. All the suggested products are natural and won't harm your hair.

Continue with this regimen for the next five years 😅

• Like 2

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 11:45 PM, A_4_Archan said:

Yes, it is challenging to implant new hairs between existing ones. Even though skilled surgeons can perform this procedure, there's a significant risk of damaging the existing grafts.

Wow! I didn't know that. I was under the impression that it would be easy for skilled surgeons like.

On 6/16/2024 at 11:45 PM, A_4_Archan said:

To achieve a denser and fuller appearance for your hair, you can use hair fibers.

Will look into this! Thanks! :)

• Valued Contributor

If you had even a tiny hair transplant now you will shock loss your native hair which may or may not recover and regret it. You have a full head of hair that others would dream of having. If you really feel the need then you could speak with your doctor and look at going on Finasteride. 

On 6/16/2024 at 6:14 AM, _no_thanks_ said:

Hi guys! I'm a long-time lurker of this community. 

I'm 27 M, Indian. I started losing hair significantly at 21. One day, I woke up, and the pillow cover had 20-25 hair. I tried PRP, but it didn't work. I used Fin for 3 months, then moved to Canada at 22 and just let it be. I messaged Dr Freitas once in 2021, but he rejected me, stating that I should use Fin and get back to him once it stops shedding altogether. Been back on fin since October 2021. My hair shed has decreased a lot... I don't see any hair on the pillow covers, but I encounter some hair on my fingers on the days I use shampoo. Have been thinking on/off about HT for a while now. I'm attaching my pics so I can get your thoughts on whether I should get it (all from this month).

P.S.: Tbh, I don't think it looks that bad (which is why I never seriously considered it) and that no one needs an HT. Still, I feel like I want to stop being conscious of the issue. For instance, on the days it rains, I immediately get reminded of it and try to cover it.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20240616_033045.jpg

IMG_20240616_033127.jpg

IMG_20240616_033200.jpg

IMG_20240616_033630.jpg

IMG_20240616_034410.jpg

IMG_20240616_034425.jpg

IMG_20240616_034500.jpg

IMG_20240616_034518.jpg

IMG_20240616_034557.jpg

IMG_20240616_034643.jpg

IMG_20240616_040532.jpg

Man, if I had your hair, I’d be dancing in the streets!!

Definitely don’t want to minimize your feelings (because I know first-hand how discouraging it can be when you first notice even small signs of loss), but just know that there are tons of guys who would have to go through two or three surgeries just to get where you are now.  

What @A_4_Archan says is wisdom.  You don’t want to risk the good hair you have now for the mere possibility of a result that would be negligible at best. You’ve got a great head of hair.  And I’ve used fibers for years (with a lot less hair than you), and they can work wonders. 

Honestly, I think your hair looks fantastic now, but regardless, you’ve got a a ton of good options before you’d be a candidate for a HT.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think you have too much hair for a hair transplant. If the meds seem to have lessened or stopped the hairs falling out the I suggest you stay on them and see where you are in a few years. Your hair is still very good right now, so you should be trying to keep it at that level for the next few years. If you can stop any further loss you are fine.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.