Am I wrong in thinking this is not a good result 9 months after a HT surgery?

Hello,

so the surgery was in October of 2023., almost 9 months ago. Before the surgery I asked the representative of the clinic if it would be okay by me to put the results on the internet to which he replied that he has no problem with that. It was my decision to posts results regardless of how the results would turn out, after enough time has passed by to see those results.  Although I have to say that I am not really satisfied with how this turned out, especially since it was done by one of the surgeons that is recommended by this site. 

It was a DHI surgery, 4000 grafts. I was around Norwood 2,5 before the surgery. Diffuse thinning, classic story. My primary goal with the HT was to restore the hairline and although the doctor had some bad reviews even on this site in the months before the surgery, even in those instances the hairline of the patients turned out fine. So my thinking was that even if the crown results turn out less satisfying, my primary goal is the hairline anyway.

On top of that, I have a great donor area and my hair is thick, which is something that the doctor confirmed himself before the surgery.

I have read enough of the reviews on this site and elsewhere to know that the results on the hairline are the first to show, whereas the crown area takes longer. So it's fair to say that the situation on my hairline as of now is 90% of the final result and there will be no magic growth in the last few months before the famous one year mark.

The problem is simple - significant lack of density. The only part of the hairline that has somewhat decent density is the very left part of the hairline. Every other part has a very obvious lack of density.

I will post pictures for you to see what I am talking about. Keep in mind that I have a somewhat long hair here, if I were to trim it down my hair loss and the lack of density would look even worse. The last picture is how it looked before the surgery.

And yes, I am taking finasteride, have been for the last 6 years and never have stopped taking it, I took up minoxidil again 3 months after the surgery (dropped minox 3 months before the surgery as instructed by the people from the clinic after I mentioned them that I had read on the internet it should be stopped before the surgery).

Also, I believe there are several multiple hair grafts out there on my hairline but that's the least of my concern to be honest.

The clinic guarantees that 90% of the transplanted hair will stay on the head, I have my doubts about how much of it stayed for real.

I am a realistic person so I know that not all transplants can end well and with satisfying results, sometimes doctors do everything well but the result just isn't there. However, I would then expect the clinic and the doctor to offer another surgery to fix the problem. Am I wrong when thinking this?

Your thoughts fellow forum members? 🤠

20240612_143556ht1.jpg

20240612_143656ht2.jpg

20240612_143719ht3.jpg

20240612_144009ht4.jpg

20240612_144044ht5.jpg

6(2).jpg

Edited by Gardy
additional info

The result is really poor. There is no way there are 4000 grafts there, assuming the last picture is pre op.

Not only there is lack of density, but also the implanted hairs are in bad situation, you can see to which extent they are wiry and kinky. On top of that, there are mutigrafts in the hairline.

It would be nice if you could upload more pre and immediate post op pictures.

Please name the clinic and surgeon.

🧑🏽‍⚕️ Help others by naming your clinic and surgeon, in your post title if possible.

💊 Help yourself by directing medical questions to medical professionals. No one here can safely provide medical advice like your primary care physician.

💬 Help the forum by adding a Like or other reaction to an existing comment before repeating what others have already said.

• Valued Contributor
9 minutes ago, SuperC said:

Please name the clinic and surgeon.

This (it should be standard to name the clinic when posting results, especially when it's a recommended surgeon). The work appears to lack the kind of careful refinement we'd expect to see with hairline work (there's lots of double grafts hairs where they shouldn't be as well as some dubious placement choices). Density could be better as well.

Would also be good to see the pre-surgery pictures for context, as well the the immediate post surgery photos. The clinic should have taken photos and you should have been given those photos (if not, you should be able to get them from the clinic no questions asked).

Lastly...

1 hour ago, Gardy said:

Before the surgery I asked the representative of the clinic if it would be okay by me to put the results on the internet to which he replied that he has no problem with that.

I recognise the clinic had no problem with you wanting to post online and it was courteous of you to ask permission, but even if they did have an issue... So what? You're entitled to document your journey wherever and whenever you see fit. It's your head and ultimately none of their business.

We cannot tell exactly where the 4000 grafts were placed without seeing the pre-HT photos. Would also be helpful to see photos of actual transplant (immediately post HT or within few days of HT).

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

It was one of those forum recommended Turkish surgeons.

I will post various pre-op photos as suggested. With short and long hair. The last few pre photos were taken in the clinic few hours before the surgery.

2(2).jpg

4(2).jpg

5.jpg

6(2).jpg

9.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0003 ht1.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0015 ht2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gardy said:

Please just provide the name. This information will be very important to future forum members.

🧑🏽‍⚕️ Help others by naming your clinic and surgeon, in your post title if possible.

💊 Help yourself by directing medical questions to medical professionals. No one here can safely provide medical advice like your primary care physician.

💬 Help the forum by adding a Like or other reaction to an existing comment before repeating what others have already said.

And some post-op photos.

Nothing out of ordinary really.

Allegedly there were 4050 folicular units transplanted.

650 single units

2250 double units

1150 multiple units

Doctor did only the incision phase, extraction and implementation was done by 3-5 different technicians. 

I mentioned to the doctor before the surgery to watch for those multis in the hairline, he assured me they will. Well, you can see the results 🙃

But the density is what bothers me the most tbh.

IMG-20231026-WA0017 ht 1.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0021 ht3.jpg

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, SuperC said:

Please just provide the name. This information will be very important to future forum members.

I will, but I would first like to hear from the forum members what they think about this HT and the results.

I haven't messaged clinics' representative about it yet (I did message him few months ago about some crust that wasn't going away for the longest time, but it disappeared eventually) because I know the answer - wait for the one year mark.

I would first like to hear what people here have to say about it, then talk to the clinic about it, and only then say who the doctor is, if that is okay by the forum rules. It feels like I would be throwing him under the bus before I hear what you and the clinic have to say about it.

Edited by Gardy

I assume is dr. Yaman. There is no need to hide his name here.

I do not understand why 4000 grafts were required considering you had a lot of native hair. 

As I mentioned before, hairline result is really poor. I would begin searching a new doctor for next procedure. What about crown and donor area?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Your result is not final, and until 12 months you will see further thickening and maturing of the existing hairs in the front, which will give more coverage than now...Keep in mind that you can always do a small touch up in the front to add some density..thats not a problem and your donor is in really good condition! So i would suggest to to wait for your final result a couple more months..

Edited by Jupiter_

25 minutes ago, Gardy said:

I will, but I would first like to hear from the forum members what they think about this HT and the results.

[...]

I would first like to hear what people here have to say about it, then talk to the clinic about it, and only then say who the doctor is, if that is okay by the forum rules. It feels like I would be throwing him under the bus before I hear what you and the clinic have to say about it.

Reporting your results as they progress, whether good or bad, promising or disappointing, isn't throwing anyone under the bus. It's simply reporting the facts as they stand today.

People use this forum every day to research and choose surgeons for their own procedures. Without clinic and surgeon details, this thread isn't helpful to anyone else.

While I don't believe the forum's rules require you to include this information, the fact that people general do is part of what makes this forum such a valuable resource.

If you did more research you would have understand that Yaman is a hit and miss doctor. With your level of hair loss I would just have looked at the top doctors. 4000 grafts is wasted for nothing tbh 

I don't think we should speculate or mention doctor's names in this thread until the surgeon has been confirmed.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ajamilo said:

If you did more research you would have understand that Yaman is a hit and miss doctor. With your level of hair loss I would just have looked at the top doctors. 4000 grafts is wasted for nothing tbh 

He had crown loss as well and if you actually look at the pictures you'd see he had a lot of those grafts placed in the crown. Without seeing how the crown turned out how can you say he wasted 4000 grafts? However I agree that if he only wanted a small amount of grafts placed in the front to enhance the front a bit then he should have chosen a Dr who does much lower graft count surgeries. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, Gardy said:

I will post various pre-op photos as suggested. With short and long hair. The last few pre photos were taken in the clinic few hours before the surgery.

2(2).jpg

4(2).jpg

5.jpg

6(2).jpg

9.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0003 ht1.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20231026-WA0015 ht2.jpg

Ok so this is more useful.

I don't think you really needed 4,000 grafts to be honest. That seems like overkill. Nevertheless, you haven't posted any pictures of your crown in it's current condition. How has that area developed since the surgery?

This isn't a disaster by any means. The density is lacking and the refinement is poor, but these things are fixable in a couple of different ways.

What I don't really get if I'm honest is the extent to which the hairline was worked on. You had more than enough existing hair to frame your face. The benefit of having a hairline is facial framing; that's what makes a HT so impactful and provides a more youthful look, and your face was already nicely framed (it doesn't require much of a hairline to achieve this; as a minimum you only need a strong forelock - think Jude Law - and anything better than that is a very nice bonus). You had minor recession that, aesthetically speaking, was very much optional to address, and to me you only needed a very subtle enhancement to the hairline rather than such a full on reconstruction. You had a lot of very nice soft, finer hair that should have remained front and centre of the hairline for naturalness, with only some [optional] minor restoration towards the temple corners needed. What you didn't need was grafts placed in front of your existing hairline, especially multi graft hairs that have rid you of the soft naturalness that was there already. So I don't really get the strategy in respect to the aesthetics at all. Your frontal third looked like being a great candidate for a "less is more" approach.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how any clinic can guarantee a hair transplant result as there are always a lot of variables to recovery and regrowth. It sounds like clever marketing to hook you in. Bit of a red flag to be honest!

Posted (edited)

I feel 4000 grafts was a lot for your case. 

How much was put in crown vs front? The front needs repair for sure and I would start looking for an another doctor. Repairs are difficult and often need multiple sittings.

Edited by 4chanhrn

4000 Grafts for that region is INSANE, even for the crown. If anyone defends this work they are most likely moderators or getting paid. This was not a 4000 Graft procedure. I am surprised a surgeon that wasn't a hair mill would even do this. It has only been 9 months but that shouldgive you a general idea of how it will turn out. Good luck my man.

• Like 3

I think you should definitely name the clinic. An important part of posting on a public forum is so members can also judge the work of clinics. If I were you I would look into planning a correction surgery for the hairline at a different clinic. Maybe they can implant plenty of singles along the hairline to fill the gaps and hopefully the multis wont be so noticeable. 

• Like 2

With the kind of Hairloss you had, it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that a recommended doctor transplanted 4000 grafts.

Please share the name of the doctor