Feller and Bloxham in CT, NJ, NY

Anyone have a transplant with Feller and Bloxham?  I've been impressed with their videos, and even though I do not live in their area, would consider traveling to them.  But would love to know of anyone's personal experience.  I'm scheduled with a different surgeon, but am having second thoughts and considering other options.

Would appreciate any insight you can give!

My friend, you should check out the search function on the site. There are a number of users who have shared their experiences with Bloxham (including me).

Here are only a handful that showed up just now when I searched “Bloxham”.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Bloxham and the folks he works with have been nothing but great to me. I don't think there is any harm in reaching out to him -- this is a lifelong decision you're making, not to mention the cost. Check out those posts linked above.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 12:44 PM, BaldReaper said:

You can see for yourself if you try the search bar, in my opinion you should avoid him

I'll try the search (I'm new, so I'm a little unfamiliar).  Can you tell me more about why you advise to avoid?

On 6/23/2024 at 12:36 PM, MikeJohnDaDon said:

Bloxham and the folks he works with have been nothing but great to me. I don't think there is any harm in reaching out to him -- this is a lifelong decision you're making, not to mention the cost. Check out those posts linked above.

Thanks for the insight from your own personal experience.  Very helpful!

On 6/23/2024 at 12:00 PM, FormerFutureKrillin said:

My friend, you should check out the search function on the site. There are a number of users who have shared their experiences with Bloxham (including me).

Here are only a handful that showed up just now when I searched “Bloxham”.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help!  I'm new, so wasn't quite familiar with how the site works-- this helps!  Grateful for the reply.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, CautiousResearcher said:

I'll try the search (I'm new, so I'm a little unfamiliar).  Can you tell me more about why you advise to avoid?

Not the person you were responding to, but I am a former Bloxham patient who is now a repair patient (you can click on my username to see my post history).

Others have had good experiences as you can see by the responses in this thread. I would recommend reviewing all of the various threads and coming to your own view.

As you research, I strongly encourage you to have a frank self-reflection of what you will do if you wind up in a bad outcome. You must be ready for that scenario before undergoing a HT. No one wants to believe they will get a bad result; everyone thinks they will be the home run. The reality is though it CAN happen to anyone, even in good hands. What separates the elite from the good from the mediocre doctors is (1) how ‘bad’ are the results on the worst day and (2) what does the doctor do to make bad cases right for the patient? Do they admit mistakes and vow to correct them? Do they gaslight you into thinking you are just overly critical and deny or refuse to acknowledge mistakes? Do they have the skill set necessary to correct poor results?

So, you should scour the forums for bad results in addition to the home runs, and see how the doctor/clinic handled those sub-par results. What is considered “sub-par” to some doctors might be another doctors average result.

These are things I saw people recommending when I was researching for over a year before my first HT. While I gave them credit, I admit I never fully accepted the idea it could happen to me.  I really wish I had taken the advice more seriously.

Please do not make my mistake. 

No matter who you select, do as much as you can to make sure you are certain that no matter the outcome, you will not regret your choice of surgeon.

Edited by FormerFutureKrillin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, FormerFutureKrillin said:

Not the person you were responding to, but I am a former Bloxham patient who is now a repair patient (you can click on my username to see my post history).

Others have had good experiences as you can see by the responses in this thread. I would recommend reviewing all of the various threads and coming to your own view.

As you research, I strongly encourage you to have a frank self-reflection of what you will do if you wind up in a bad outcome. You must be ready for that scenario before undergoing a HT. No one wants to believe they will get a bad result; everyone thinks they will be the home run. The reality is though it CAN happen to anyone, even in good hands. What separates the elite from the good from the mediocre doctors is (1) how ‘bad’ are the results on the worst day and (2) what does the doctor do to make bad cases right for the patient? Do they admit mistakes and vow to correct them? Do they gaslight you into thinking you are just overly critical and deny or refuse to acknowledge mistakes? Do they have the skill set necessary to correct poor results?

So, you should scour the forums for bad results in addition to the home runs, and see how the doctor/clinic handled those sub-par results. What is considered “sub-par” to some doctors might be another doctors average result.

These are things I saw people recommending when I was researching for over a year before my first HT. While I gave them credit, I admit I never fully accepted the idea it could happen to me.  I really wish I had taken the advice more seriously.

Please do not make my mistake. 

No matter who you select, do as much as you can to make sure you are certain that no matter the outcome, you will not regret your choice of surgeon.

Thanks for this advice!  What you wrote about what separates the kite from the good from the mediocre surgeons is helpful.  I know anyone can have a bad day, but, like you said, I want to know how bad their worst day is and what they’re going to do to handle it if I’m one of their worst days!

thabjs for the insight man. 

As noted above, lots of research before this past year really did not turn up anything that would give someone much pause/concern with this doctor. I’ve seen a few subpar cases posted online over this past year between here and Reddit, with the one noted above. Lots of happy patients with good to great results as well.

3 hours ago, JoeD said:

As noted above, lots of research before this past year really did not turn up anything that would give someone much pause/concern with this doctor. I’ve seen a few subpar cases posted online over this past year between here and Reddit, with the one noted above. Lots of happy patients with good to great results as well.

Thanks for that insight, JoeD.  I know that no surgeon/clinic has a perfect record.  Helpful to hear all the feedback from people's experiences, see the good and the bad, and weigh it out.  Grateful for you and the rest of this community for helping me do that!

Posted (edited)

I think it's important that you go through every Bloxham case you can find(most linked above) and make up your own mind about results. Don't get influenced by what people are saying, just see the results. Compare them to other top docs and make up your mind.

IMO he's an average doctor with above average prices, but that might be a symptom of being located in NYC area. He's certainly not a bad doc, but not a top notch one. He lacks the artistry of many top docs(or as he likes to call it unremarkable) and there are many cases where things have gone wrong, especially related to poor growth. I also don't like the row implantation. But I found his planning to be very good and I like his arguments related to FUT. He seems like a really good person as well when I consulted with him and I find his YT videos great for information, but for me I found better options out there.

Edited by 4chanhrn

24 minutes ago, 4chanhrn said:

I think it's important that you go through every Bloxham case you can find(most linked above) and make up your own mind about results. Don't get influenced by what people are saying, just see the results. Compare them to other top docs and make up your mind.

IMO he's an average doctor with above average prices, but that might be a symptom of being located in NYC area. He's certainly not a bad doc, but not a top notch one. He lacks the artistry of many top docs(or as he likes to call it unremarkable) and there are many cases where things have gone wrong, especially related to poor growth. I also don't like the row implantation. But I found his planning to be very good and I like his arguments related to FUT. He seems like a really good person as well when I consulted with him and I find his YT videos great for information, but for me I found better options out there.

Thanks foe that perspective, man— very helpful.

you say you found better options out there.  Would you mind sharing some of those?  I’ve been looking, but even on the recommended surgeons forum, gotta start somewhere.  Love to know who you’re looking at. 

1 hour ago, GibGob said:

Bloxham is an average doctor. DO NOT fall in love with his character on youtube. They are merely for marketing his practice.

The experience of his technicians are questionable, but he insists they are "elite" technicians which I disagree with. 

Also, Alan Feller was supposedly caught on here posting as a user named Rafael Manelli trying to trump up business for bloxham. That in itself should steer you away as it's very telling that if they have to resort to astroturfing then they really are just an average clinic. There's other things you can read about on here too.

I'd highly recommend you reconsider bloxham. Better yet, avoid ALL New York clinics. NY clinics likely have a big problem keeping highly trained technicians on staff due to the NY economy.

I'd look into Shapiro Medical Group. Ron Shapiro is an OG of the industry and wrote leading hair transplant textbooks that doctors learn from. Plus his staff appears to be highly trained at what they do. Overall Shapiro would be the better option in my opinion but you have to be the final judge. I'm talking merely about the experience of the doctor and staff, not necessarily how aesthetic the results look. In other words, you might not like the design of a Shapiro hairline.

I'd also recommend you avoid NJ clinics. NJ allows the use of independently contracted traveling techs which you do not want.

Really there are only a handful of good clinics in the US. The rest of the top notch clinics are overseas

Thanks, @GibGob.  Grateful for that insight!  So glad to have feedback from you and others in this community.

6 hours ago, GibGob said:

Bloxham is an average doctor. DO NOT fall in love with his character on youtube. They are merely for marketing his practice.

The experience of his technicians are questionable, but he insists they are "elite" technicians which I disagree with. 

Also, Alan Feller was supposedly caught on here posting as a user named Rafael Manelli trying to trump up business for bloxham. That in itself should steer you away as it's very telling that if they have to resort to astroturfing then they really are just an average clinic. There's other things you can read about on here too.

I'd highly recommend you reconsider bloxham. Better yet, avoid ALL New York clinics. NY clinics likely have a big problem keeping highly trained technicians on staff due to the NY economy.

I'd look into Shapiro Medical Group. Ron Shapiro is an OG of the industry and wrote leading hair transplant textbooks that doctors learn from. Plus his staff appears to be highly trained at what they do. Overall Shapiro would be the better option in my opinion but you have to be the final judge. I'm talking merely about the experience of the doctor and staff, not necessarily how aesthetic the results look. In other words, you might not like the design of a Shapiro hairline.

I'd also recommend you avoid NJ clinics. NJ allows the use of independently contracted traveling techs which you do not want.

Really there are only a handful of good clinics in the US. The rest of the top notch clinics are overseas

I totally agree with you, I had surgery with Dr.Ron Shapiro and I have been very satisfied with him and also his well-trained staff , Some of his tech working with him more than 15 years ( I personally asked them during my surgery ) , He is very kind , Honest,  ethical and provide very natural result with lots of experience.

In my opinion he is the best doctor in US and honestly very reasonably priced considering he is on of the top surgeon in the world and doing this for so many years. 

I had more than 10 friends know me from before and they all tell me it is totally undetectable , It  may sounds funny or hard to believe but sometimes I can't even say I had hair transplant , Its very close and similar to the hairline I had 15 years ago , Thats how much natural the result is , 

Having said , As you mentioned someone may think the hairline is conservative and they prefer other surgeons hairline. 

6 hours ago, parsia said:

I totally agree with you, I had surgery with Dr.Ron Shapiro and I have been very satisfied with him and also his well-trained staff , Some of his tech working with him more than 15 years ( I personally asked them during my surgery ) , He is very kind , Honest,  ethical and provide very natural result with lots of experience.

In my opinion he is the best doctor in US and honestly very reasonably priced considering he is on of the top surgeon in the world and doing this for so many years. 

I had more than 10 friends know me from before and they all tell me it is totally undetectable , It  may sounds funny or hard to believe but sometimes I can't even say I had hair transplant , Its very close and similar to the hairline I had 15 years ago , Thats how much natural the result is , 

Having said , As you mentioned someone may think the hairline is conservative and they prefer other surgeons hairline. 

Thanks for the feedback on Shapiro.  I need to check him out.  You mention he’s very reasonably priced for his quality level.  Do you know what his prices are?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GibGob said:

Also questionable is bloxhams methods. He has been found storing your precious grafts in tall wax cups. See anything wrong with that? What if a cup is accidentally knocked over as the techs constantly transfer your grafts to them one by one?

For the price bloxham charges they should be stored in flat storage dishes. Why doesn't he? You guessed it, it's cheaper and easier to use wax cups. Not something you should be getting for his prices. But hey, it's NY so it's expensive to pay staff, rent, and keep the lights on right?

Also, his NY clinic is very shabby and dated looking. The appearance of his office should be enough to steer you away

I'm a former patient of bloxham and you know what word was on my mind during the entire procedure up until today over 1 year later? Questionable.

Like I said please do not fall for his lovable character on youtube. He is merely a character. Plus, all of his results are carefully cherry picked

Thanks for sharing from your experience @GibGob.  Always helpful to hear from someone who has first-hand knowledge. 

9 hours ago, GibGob said:

Also questionable is bloxhams methods. He has been found storing your precious grafts in tall wax cups. See anything wrong with that? What if a cup is accidentally knocked over as the techs constantly transfer your grafts to them one by one?

For the price bloxham charges they should be stored in flat storage dishes. Why doesn't he? You guessed it, it's cheaper and easier to use wax cups. Not something you should be getting for his prices. But hey, it's NY so it's expensive to pay staff, rent, and keep the lights on right?

Also, his NY clinic is very shabby and dated looking. The appearance of his office should be enough to steer you away

I'm a former patient of bloxham and you know what word was on my mind during the entire procedure up until today over 1 year later? Questionable.

Like I said please do not fall for his lovable character on youtube. He is merely a character. Plus, all of his results are carefully cherry picked

I’m not really trying to defend him… But I think that’s a little harsh/overkill with the concern about specific storage cups and the office decor.  I’m a medical professional and I’ve been there three times… cleanliness, sterility, etc was zero concern to me from my experience. 

I also found him to essentially be the same guy in person as in the videos… didn’t seem like fake/facade. Certainly your experience could have been different. 

I am also very pleased with my results, no concerns/regrets.  You can see my thread from the first transplant and I’ll continue to post about monthly on 2nd/3rd, but appears to be coming along nicely as anticipated. 

how were your results?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CautiousResearcher said:

Thanks for the feedback on Shapiro.  I need to check him out.  You mention he’s very reasonably priced for his quality level.  Do you know what his prices are?

You're so welcome.

Their prices used to be on their website , I did a bit research for but can't find it anymore , I suggest contact them via email or phone and they will tell you about updated pricing , I'm sure if you compare their pricing with another elite doctors in US , You would find them more reasonable  ( The comparison between surgeon should be apple to apple though )

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, LeonBlack said:

I’m not really trying to defend him… But I think that’s a little harsh/overkill with the concern about specific storage cups and the office decor.  I’m a medical professional and I’ve been there three times… cleanliness, sterility, etc was zero concern to me from my experience. 

I also found him to essentially be the same guy in person as in the videos… didn’t seem like fake/facade. Certainly your experience could have been different. 

I am also very pleased with my results, no concerns/regrets.  You can see my thread from the first transplant and I’ll continue to post about monthly on 2nd/3rd, but appears to be coming along nicely as anticipated. 

how were your results?

Thanks for giving perspective from your personal experience, @LeonBlack.  Always helpful. Thanks for chiming in man!

4 minutes ago, parsia said:

You're so welcome.

Their prices used to be on their website , I did a bit research for but can't find it anymore , I suggest contact them via email or phone and they will tell you about updated pricing , I'm sure if you compare their pricing with another elite doctors in US , You would find them more reasonable  ( The comparison between surgeon should be apple to apple though )

Hope that helps. 

Thanks man!  Definitely going to look into Shapiro as I continue researching.  Grateful!