Hair shedding, nearing a year on finasteride

I was just wondering if any of you guys that have been on finasteride still experience hair shedding, I started in October and am nearing a year in a few months, but I still experience shedding when I run my hands through my hair. I’m just wondering if this is normal shedding or and whether the finasteride stopped your shedding completely. 

I have also noticed that when my hair is short I do not shed at all, but when it gets longer, it starts to shed 

any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Diff 

Yesterday I tried to count as many hairs as possible, it was around 20-30 that I noticed, this morning running through my hand through my hair it’s about 10 already 

I do know shedding is normal, but wondering if finasteride is supposed to stop it completely or people who successfully respond to fin still shed like everyone else ? 

So for example, I just had a shower to test, and it’s hair in the shower in my fingers, around maybe 50 of them now I’ve counted which seems a lot to me, and never happens when my hair is short. 

im using topical finasteride and applying it with an applicator but I think I’m far enough in now that it may not be working 

32 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

The best thing is to take a photo of your hair once a month under the exact same lighting and angle. When you say shedding are you referring to less hair on your head (MPB) or the hair that you see in the shower, etc? 

Sure I will do I’ll keep track, Ive got a thread for my hair transplant and will keep track there also 

• Like 1

i had good results to finasteride for the 1st year where yes when i shampooed my hair you would see 10-15 odd hairs fall (but considerably less than when i was off the medication) and then after a year or so i started noticing a few more hairs in the shower + limpness in my hair. persisting with a slightly higher dose in 2nd year i've noticed it come back to what it was slowly around 3 months since upping the dose.

has your shedding been consistent throughout the period taking finasteride? have you noticed your hair feeling any stronger? what dose are you taking?

my hair is quite thin and fine and i use limpness after showering as the indicator on whether finasteride is doing its job in my system as opposed to actual hair growth or shedding...

Edited by Sunshine09

I used fina back in 2015 for about a year did not work for me. It didn't stop hair loss and makes my hair quality weaker. I stopped and for about 5 years it was stable. I started again in September 23 on the advice of Dr again didn't have much benefit for me 2 weeks ago swapped to dutasteride. I think you should forget about shedding in shower my reason is last few years I don't really shed much however because of stress and stuff I have receded quite a bit hairline and temples so I normally stop looking for hairs in the shower

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sunshine09 said:

i had good results to finasteride for the 1st year where yes when i shampooed my hair you would see 10-15 odd hairs fall (but considerably less than when i was off the medication) and then after a year or so i started noticing a few more hairs in the shower + limpness in my hair. persisting with a slightly higher dose in 2nd year i've noticed it come back to what it was slowly around 3 months since upping the dose.

has your shedding been consistent throughout the period taking finasteride? have you noticed your hair feeling any stronger? what dose are you taking?

my hair is quite thin and fine and i use limpness after showering as the indicator on whether finasteride is doing its job in my system as opposed to actual hair growth or shedding...

this is the problem though, I had next to no shedding because until my hair transplant I kept my hair short, when starting fin, only now ive grown it out am i noticing it, so basically I cant tell if its normal or not

2 hours ago, Diff-thinner said:

this is the problem though, I had next to no shedding because until my hair transplant I kept my hair short, when starting fin, only now ive grown it out am i noticing it, so basically I cant tell if its normal or not

There's one guy on here he is young like and had a hair transplant. He's happy with he's results so happy that he started growing he's hair after noticing loads of shedding. Someone commented that because he's hair is longer he now notices the shedding. I think he was also not consistent with the finasteride and switched between a few times between fin and dutasteride