Early excess shedding

As the title indicates, I’m experiencing early excess shedding after HT. I’m now in day 12 and I’ve noticed many dozens of hairs in the bath after bathing.  I started notice shedding yesterday after gently massaging scabs (which are now largely gone). I’ve largely followed the Dr recommendations for post op care. While I know that shedding is normal, what I’ve seen is most people experience this 3-4 weeks out…not 11 days. Anyone else experience it this early in the process and can share with me some results? Even the numbing of my scalp has largely subsided and I’ve seen where that will last in upwards of a year for some people. Itching? Non-existent. So, what do you think? Normal or weird? Here is my other post regarding some after post op care instruction issues I was dealing with:

Here is my today pic. The others are in previous posts you can find. 

IMG_9417.jpeg

• Moderators
On 6/29/2024 at 9:27 AM, WhiteThnder said:

As the title indicates, I’m experiencing early excess shedding after HT. I’m now in day 12 and I’ve noticed many dozens of hairs in the bath after bathing.  I started notice shedding yesterday after gently massaging scabs (which are now largely gone). I’ve largely followed the Dr recommendations for post op care. While I know that shedding is normal, what I’ve seen is most people experience this 3-4 weeks out…not 11 days. Anyone else experience it this early in the process and can share with me some results?

There's a wide range of time when shedding can start and stop. I had many hair transplants and I've always been an early shedder that started when the scabs were coming off just as you posted. I see a lot of 2 week post op pictures with all the scabs off and still having all the grafts in place, but as I said I was never one of those, so don't worry about it.

On 6/29/2024 at 9:27 AM, WhiteThnder said:

Even the numbing of my scalp has largely subsided and I’ve seen where that will last in upwards of a year for some people. Itching? Non-existent. So, what do you think? Normal or weird?

Lucky you especially if you have no itching. The numbness never really bothered me very much, but the itchyness is a pain. However you still may get some itching as it all heals up over the next few months. In any case, if you don't get any just count your blessings.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

There's a wide range of time when shedding can start and stop. I had many hair transplants and I've always been an early shedder that started when the scabs were coming off just as you posted. I see a lot of 2 week post op pictures with all the scabs off and still having all the grafts in place, but as I said I was never one of those, so don't worry about it.

Lucky you especially if you have no itching. The numbness never really bothered me very much, but the itchyness is a pain. However you still may get some itching as it all heals up over the next few months. In any case, if you don't get any just count your blessings.

Thank you!