Mustache Question

I will review the following with a surgeon.  I am looking for some general feedback first though from you guys. 

I have very limited scalp donor hair. (I am open to using beard hair.) However, I do have a question about mustache.

1) My mustache is very think (too thick for my liking). Do some surgeons harvest mustache grafts?  For ex, is it realistic to harvest 50% of mine in order to thin it out-- then implant it into my FUT scars in back of head? 

2) Depending on density of Mustache of course--  If the doctor harvested 50% of my mustache--  is it likely it would be enough hairs to fill in 1 ear-to-ear FUT scar?   Thank you.

20240629_124757.jpg

Edited by Approach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Approach said:

I will review the following with a surgeon.  I am looking for some general feedback first though from you guys. 

I have very limited scalp donor hair. (I am open to using beard hair.) However, I do have a question about mustache.

1) My mustache is very think (too thick for my liking). Do some surgeons harvest mustache grafts?  For ex, is it realistic to harvest 50% of mine in order to thin it out-- then implant it into my FUT scars in back of head? 

2) Depending on density of Mustache of course--  If the doctor harvested 50% of my mustache--  is it likely it would be enough hairs to fill in 2 FUT scars?   Thank you.

20240629_124757.jpg

1) Yes, mustache hair can be used

2) Not sure, but if I had to guess, I would guess no

• Like 1

Do you have an idea how many grafts are needed for repairing your strip scar?…probably need more donor in addition to your mustache.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, Approach said:

2) Depending on density of Mustache of course--  If the doctor harvested 50% of my mustache--  is it likely it would be enough hairs to fill in 1 ear-to-ear FUT scar?   Thank you.

20240629_124757.jpg

Hey @Approach. I have had 500 grafts taken from my mustache which has been transplanted into both my scalp and previous hair transplant scars in the back of my scalp. The hair grows quite well in both areas. Looking at the pic of your facial hair you could easily get 500 or more and you would never know the difference. Visually my mustache looks no different today than it did before it was touched. All the best.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Hey @Approach. I have had 500 grafts taken from my mustache which has been transplanted into both my scalp and previous hair transplant scars in the back of my scalp. The hair grows quite well in both areas. Looking at the pic of your facial hair you could easily get 500 or more and you would never know the difference. Visually my mustache looks no different today than it did before it was touched. All the best.

I really appreciate your feedback on this.  It helps give me a general idea of the mustache topic.  I will keep this in mind when I ask questions of the surgeon, if I do surgery.  Thanks again.

12 hours ago, gillenator said:

Do you have an idea how many grafts are needed for repairing your strip scar?…probably need more donor in addition to your mustache.

I truly don't know.  It's okay if I have to use some scalp hair on the strip.  I was just wanting a general idea whether my  mustache provides 50 grafts  or more like 500?  I now have some perspective.