My Journey - Consultations with Surgeons: Ahmad, Arocha, Bisanga, Bosley, De Freitas, Ilea, Laorwong, McGrath, Muresanu, Pittella, Zarev and more

1 hour ago, UKLad81 said:

If you do go with FUT (and I’m sure Sever will say the same later this week), you can always go and get some FUE in to the scar to make it less visible. But it’s a fair concern and something you will need to decide eventually. All the best with your consult with him and tell him “the Indian guy from UK says Hi - the one that recommended all the Indian restaurants whilst he was here ;-)”

Thanks man!

51 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

The harvesting area in an FUT procedure is on the higher side of the donor, above the oxcipial notch.  That is, you can keep the hair just long enough to cover the scar and do a gradual fade under it.  This would allow for you to harvest the best quality hair you have and still have the option to wear a high and tight haircut.  

Thanks for the insight!  Helpful to think through possibilities because I would really like the option to wear my hair high and tight in the future.

33 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

It's refreshing to read true statements such as the miniaturization you're dealing with.  This does bring up a point.  

Most believe we're born with 100,000 hairs.  We'll have lost half of that number by the time we're teenagers and still don't realize there's any hair loss.  If on the average people have 6-8K grafts, with an average of 2.2 hairs per graft, you're talking 17K+ hairs to do the job of 50k.  An illusion of density to say the least.  Thus, whatever hair you can enhance/improve, will only help to add to the overall density when it's all said and done.  Considering the fact you're dealing with retrograde, why not approach this medical modalities first?  If you end up reversing the miniaturization and improve the retrograde - you'll be far more than just a marginal candidate.  

With regards to numbers, I often see 4K, 5K, 6K recommended.  If the most that can typically be harvested is 2000-2500 grafts, how do you get from this to thousands and thousands of grafts?  You could do FUT and FUE at the same time, (2 day procedure), you could over-harvest or split grafts.

There are a few concerns with FUE and the retrograde you're dealing with.  If anything is harvested from that area, it's likely those grafts will eventually be lost.  So this brings me back to the non surgical options. 

Could you take all your donor and put it up top?  Sure, why not?  But, is that the goal?  (Ask the size of the punch being used.  If you end up with circular type scars throughout when done, you'll then be dealing with more issues).

The segment removed during an FUT procedure will be divided and separated under a microscope.  Follicular units can come with 1-5 hairs per follicle. You could take a 5-hair follicle and split into 5) 1-hair follicles.  Yes, you would obtain the numbers but not the density.  If you put 1-hair grafts throughout, this would yield a diffused and unnatural look.  (Oh, and are they pricing by the hair and not grafts?  That would make more sense.  2500 grafts would be approx 5500 hairs). 

The instrumentation used during FUE is very small.  This allows for micro-scars which will not be detectable to the naked eye, particularly if the punch is smaller than .9mm.  If the instrumentation is so small, so will the graft.  Less substance and less hair per follicle.  The only way to obtain greater numbers of grafts is through over-harvesting.

I urge you to take a conservative approach.  This, eventually, will help you achieve your goals.  (Putting a small number of grafts, in the overall scheme of things, over a large area will only lead to a very thin result and the need to do more procedures in the ensuing years). 

Thank you for your insight and detail!

13 hours ago, CautiousResearcher said:

Just received the following email from Ian (consultant) with Dr. Bisanga of BHR:

Thank you for your emails yesterday and for providing your photographs and relative information. 

As a clinic, we offer photo assessment and in person consultation. To be able to provide accurate recommendations and to be able to inform patients of their status, graft availability, what can be achieved and their overall quality of candidacy, one key factor is their donor area. Donor density, hair groupings and surface area. These are measurements and data that can only be attained in person.

I have discussed your case with Dr Bisanga.

Your photos suggest that you are experiencing a NW5 pattern.
Your lateral humps(sides) appear to have retained some height which means less surface area on top that has experienced loss.

Your photos would appear to show a weakness and drop in density in your nape (please see attached image). This is referred to as retrograde alopecia. It is common, but it does limit areas of the donor and requires assessment to understand stability and extent of miniaturisation and would mean that the doctor would focus on other more stable and stronger areas within your donor.

It would appear that despite loss from hairline to crown, some native hair is present throughout these areas and hopefully you will respond well to oral minoxidil as you have recently changed from topical.

As you have requested an in person consultation, Dr. Bisanga would agree that this would be the most appropriate next step to allow a thorough evaluation.

This will allow the doctor to attain data such as donor density, hair groupings, levels of miniaturisation throughout the scalp, stabilisation and to evaluate the scalp for any inflammation, which then allows the doctor to confirm candidacy and propose an appropriate approach.

Each persons donor area is unique to them. Their donor density, follicular grouping (how many hairs in a follicle 1/2/3/4), any miniaturisation and the calibre of their hair. It is a persons donor that will influence how many grafts can be extracted from that area safely, without showing visible signs of extraction and to ensure optimal healing, allowing further extraction in subsequent procedures.

Patients with average or below donor density/areas of retrograde are generally able to safely provide around 3500 grafts from their donor area, in one procedure. If your donor would allow more then more can be harvested. The priority is a well managed donor.

To provide an idea of graft requirements, depending on hairline design and placement, a frontal third restoration may require roughly around 3000 grafts and a frontal half pushing back into your mid scalp around 4000 grafts. 

In cases such as your own where a high graft count is necessary, body hair such as beard and chest hair can also potentially be considered if compatible. 
Beard hair is a very reliable source of donor hair and due to its thicker calibre, is very effective blended with scalp hair to add the visuals density in the mid scalp/crown area. For patients with thinner hair calibre, thicker beard may not always be the most appropriate and so this would be discussed with the doctor.

(email continued with details about scheduling)

Love to hear any comments, insights, wisdom from the community on what Ian of BHR wrote.

Bisanga showing retrograde alopecia at nape of neck 2024-07-02.png

Bisanga showing high humps and narrow balding 2024-07-02.png

I forgot to mention that in a previous email from Ian (Consultant with BHR), he wrote:

Current pricing for surgery at BHR Clinic for surgery with Dr. Bisanga which will also see Dr. Kostis assist with punching of extraction sites, is charged at €4.00 per graft.

Any thoughts on this scenario with Dr Kostis assisting?  I don’t know much at all about Dr Kostis.  Would love your opinions, seasoned HRN members. 

80% of the people won't be able to have full hair with Norwood 5 in one session. At least for my satisfaction. A good result for these Norwood Grade usually requires 2 sessions and possibly extra beard extraction.

It highly depends on the quality of your hair, quality and density of the donor area and the physical shape of your scalp (some is wide, some is small)

And also depends on the expectations of the patient. Some people just so happy with dense hairline but empty vertex. 

Dr Laorwong plan is best, you need to undergo two HT surgeries to get proper coverage. He is the most affordable doctor among all the doctors on your list.

Don't rush to cover your entire head all at once, except when you're dealing with Dr. Zarev

Edited by Rawkerboi
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rawkerboi said:

80% of the people won't be able to have full hair with Norwood 5 in one session. At least for my satisfaction. A good result for these Norwood Grade usually requires 2 sessions and possibly extra beard extraction.

It highly depends on the quality of your hair, quality and density of the donor area and the physical shape of your scalp (some is wide, some is small)

And also depends on the expectations of the patient. Some people just so happy with dense hairline but empty vertex. 

Dr Laorwong plan is best, you need to undergo two HT surgeries to get proper coverage. He is the most affordable doctor among all the doctors on your list.

Don't rush to cover your entire head all at once, except when you're dealing with Dr. Zarev

I'd agree that two sessions is the best approach. It also depends on what you'd be satisfied with. I was an exception - NW5, relatively fine hair and a big head and yet could just about get away with a single session. In the end I had a second but it was marginal gains really and I didn't absolutely need it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rawkerboi said:

Thanks, @Rawkerboi; good perspective!

4 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I'd agree that two sessions is the best approach. It also depends on what you'd be satisfied with. I was an exception - NW5, relatively fine hair and a big head and yet could just about get away with a single session. In the end I had a second but it was marginal gains really and I didn't absolutely need it.

@BackFromTheBrink, I just looked at your profile, and your results are amazing!!  From a NW5 to a full head of hair, great density, natural hairline.  Do you have certain physiological factors (great donor, other) that made your results so good?

Just incredible what was accomplished after that first surgery with a relatively small number of grafts for such a high NW.

I maybe shouldn’t look at your results because it might get my hopes up too high!

5 hours ago, CautiousResearcher said:

@BackFromTheBrink, I just looked at your profile, and your results are amazing!!  From a NW5 to a full head of hair, great density, natural hairline.  Do you have certain physiological factors (great donor, other) that made your results so good?

Thank you, I was very fortunate to get such good survival rates.

I don't think I was anything unusual - probably slightly higher than average hair to graft ratio - probably 2.6ish in the first surgery and 2.0 in the second.

The surgeons are the biggest factor but I tried to do what I could to not hinder their work. I ate well (lots of protein), kept myself in shape (increased blood flow and general well being) and took vitamin supplements. I was also relatively unstressed about the whole thing - I expected a bit more hair so wasn't expecting miracles!

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, UKLad81 said:

He means with Zarev you might just get a brilliant result in one sitting. Only problem with him is his wait list but hes an outstanding surgeon. 

Oh yeah then I totally agree, I wasn't sure about the meaning probably because I was half asleep haha it doesn't help.

Are you getting a transplant yourself ser @UKLad81

Update:

Been in contact with Dr. Munib Ahmad's assistant and Dr. Ahmad himself in back and forth email/WhatsApp exchanges.

Both have been very helpful, thoroughly professional, and 

At the very beginning of the WhatsApp conversation, his assistant made sure that I was comfortable with a starting price of 40,000 euros.  Understandably they want to ensure that patients are not surprised and that patients are serious.

Dr. Ahmad will not provide a detailed plan for my surgery until our consult (he recommended a virtual consult soon and an in-person consult when I will be passing near Amsterdam for business later).   The consult fee is 1,000 euros. 

But upon reviewing my patient info/history and my photos, Dr. Ahmad wrote the following:

"I can make this better in one surgery with around 2800 grafts using my  own FUE method.  The costs are in the 50,000 euro range.  The goal is to have a good future proof approach and make sure that you don't end up looking silly in the (far) future by using as less grafts as possible.  I'll make those 2800 grafts look like 4000."

Dr. Ahmad's assistant confirmed:

Dr. Ahmad personally performs the entire procedure, including:

• Hairline design
  • Extraction of grafts
  • Making incisions
  • Placing grafts

His assistant supports him, ensuring the highest quality and consistency.

Dr. Ahmad's assistant helps with:

• Preparing grafts
  • Assisting during the procedure
  • Ensuring a smooth workflow

Dr. Ahmad oversees every step to maintain quality and precision.

I also asked Dr. Ahmad about the fact that other surgeons have said the lower portion of my donor area is weak, and I asked him if this would present a problem.  He responded:

I did notice that but it's not a problem.  It just emphasizes the fact that you need to use as less grafts as possible with as good density as possible.  Just handle over your hair problems to me, and make them my problem.

So there you have it!

Would love to hear your feedback on Dr. Ahmad based on this email exchange and the tentative recommendation of 2800 grafts.

I'll admit, 50,000 euros is a lot for me-- I'm a middle-class guy, but I am also a saver and have put money aside.  So, I do have the money.  But unlike some guys who either have a ton of wealth or a very high income or both (and who wouldn't even notice 50,000 missing), it would be a financial sacrifice for me.  

But it's a sacrifice I am willing to consider.

In your opinion, HOW much better is Dr. Ahmad than some of these other top surgeons I'm in contact with?

Is Dr. Ahmad worth:

• 17,300 euros more than Arocha at 6.54 euros/graft for 2500 FUE and 4.67 euros/graft for 3500 FUT (total of 32,700 euros-- I converted from $)
  • 33,891 euros more than Miln for 5,000 grafts (total cost of 16,109 euros-- I converted from GBP)
  • 34,550 euros more than Muresanu (Hattingen) at 3.09 euros per graft for 5000 FUT grafts (total cost of 15,450 euros)
  • 36,000 euros more than Bisanga with Kostis assisting at 4 euros per graft for 3500 grafts?  (total cost of 14,000 euros)
  • 41,300 euros more than Laorwong at 2.03 eyros per graft for 4300 grafts?  (total cost of 8,700 euros)

And I don't yet have pricing or estimated graft counts from De Freitas, Miln, and PIttella.

Zarev is 9 euros per graft; no idea what graft count he would recommend.  Only will know with an in-person consult... which are booked out for three years!

I know, I know... people are going to chime in that I'm comparing apples and oranges here.  But I am seriously considering all of these options (and open to others that some of you have recently recommended I look into)>

Whether or not it's apples and oranges, I'd still like insight and advice on these very real choices, since the situation is that I have the money for Ahmad, but it would be a significant financial sacrifice to spend it all. 

Is that sacrifice worth it to use Ahmad?

What say you???

Edited by CautiousResearcher
added Miln pricing to list of comps

I would say Dr. Ahmad is definitely true to his word, he clearly has the confidence and I totally believe him when he says he can make those 2800 grafts look like 4000!

If you had a crazy amount of disposable income and could comfortably spend 50k without noticing a dent in your wallet then I would have said go for it. But I think unfortunately for most of that that is just not the reality.

It's also crazy that I read some posts on reddit and supposedly a few years ago Dr. Ahmad's prices were around 4500 EUR for a hair transplant procedure (2020/2021) - not sure how true this is but it seems like inflation is real 🤣

I would personally look at other options but that's just me. Dr. Laorwong is a solid affordable option but I would not put him in the same class as Dr. Ahmad. Have you considered other EU doctors such as Dr. Ferreira, Dr. Couto and Dr. Pinto? 

You will probably be able to get 90%/95% of the result Dr. Ahmad would create (in terms of visual artistry) for 20% of the cost if you look elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Consultation with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Nov 2023 - - link to thread documenting my pre-hair restoration journey
  • First surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - Sept 2024 -  - approx. 3500 grafts to frontal third - thread to be created
  • Second surgery with Dr Bruno Ferreira - TBD - - approx. 2500 grafts to mid-scalp and vertex - thread to be created

2 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

I would say Dr. Ahmad is definitely true to his word, he clearly has the confidence and I totally believe him when he says he can make those 2800 grafts look like 4000!

If you had a crazy amount of disposable income and could comfortably spend 50k without noticing a dent in your wallet then I would have said go for it. But I think unfortunately for most of that that is just not the reality.

It's also crazy that I read some posts on reddit and supposedly a few years ago Dr. Ahmad's prices were around 4500 EUR for a hair transplant procedure (2020/2021) - not sure how true this is but it seems like inflation is real 🤣

I would personally look at other options but that's just me. Dr. Laorwong is a solid affordable option but I would not put him in the same class as Dr. Ahmad. Have you considered other EU doctors such as Dr. Ferreira, Dr. Couto and Dr. Pinto? 

You will probably be able to get 90%/95% of the result Dr. Ahmad would create (in terms of visual artistry) for 20% of the cost if you look elsewhere.

I need to look into Ferreira, Pinto, and Cuoto.  Those names keep coming up. Thanks for the suggestion. 

And thanks for the perspective man.  That helps a lot with how I’m weighing the decision.  If I was confident I could get 90-95% of the Ahmad result with a dr that was 20% of the cost, that would certainly weigh heavily into my consideration.

thanks for chiming in!

4 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

I think it is true since a guy here in Holland told me he went there for a consultation a few years ago and then it was around that price range. He also, according to the guy, (you have to be careful about quoting people) told him that the procedure is relatively easy. However, he might have been a fast learner since the results speak for themselves.

Would definitely try a cheaper one. Most of the recommend suergeons here on this forum seem to have great results imo and most of them for smaller budgets. 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

@CautiousResearcher the replies from the surgeons you have contacted are giving you excellent information to think about. As you can probably tell there is no one size fits all even in the same Norwood scale. One thing I would like to inform you of though is that hair transplants are not cheap and over the lifespan one will never be enough (unless you only want to create say a good hairline up to the mid section to frame your face and leave the rest alone). My sole advice to you really is to just keep asking the excellent questions that you are doing and as more knowledge is gained then you can build on that as they arise. This is just my personal opinion and experience but patience is always at the heart of great results. I would continue what you are doing and give this at least one to two years of research until you are in the chair and you have the funds for this. You need to know whether FUT is for you if you wish to keep your hair short, is using beard grafts better than exhausting my scalp donor grafts, etc, etc? This is why I stated that no two Norwood scales are the same. Wishing you all the best. 👌

1 hour ago, SY7 said:

I think it is true since a guy here in Holland told me he went there for a consultation a few years ago and then it was around that price range. He also, according to the guy, (you have to be careful about quoting people) told him that the procedure is relatively easy. However, he might have been a fast learner since the results speak for themselves.

Would definitely try a cheaper one. Most of the recommend suergeons here on this forum seem to have great results imo and most of them for smaller budgets. 

Thanks for offering your perspective— helpful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

@CautiousResearcher the replies from the surgeons you have contacted are giving you excellent information to think about. As you can probably tell there is no one size fits all even in the same Norwood scale. One thing I would like to inform you of though is that hair transplants are not cheap and over the lifespan one will never be enough (unless you only want to create say a good hairline up to the mid section to frame your face and leave the rest alone). My sole advice to you really is to just keep asking the excellent questions that you are doing and as more knowledge is gained then you can build on that as they arise. This is just my personal opinion and experience but patience is always at the heart of great results. I would continue what you are doing and give this at least one to two years of research until you are in the chair and you have the funds for this. You need to know whether FUT is for you if you wish to keep your hair short, is using beard grafts better than exhausting my scalp donor grafts, etc, etc? This is why I stated that no two Norwood scales are the same. Wishing you all the best. 👌

Yeah, I’m really pleased with the replies I’m getting from surgeons— and that’s even before a consultation, and just based on photos and patient history.

and you’re right, it is interesting how different each of their proposed approaches is.  Gives me a LOT to think about!

you mention (and I know this is true in many cases) that over a lifetime, one hair transplant will never be enough.  But if one got complete coverage (like we see Zarev, Pittellla, and some others do), can’t one sometimes be enough?

im going to keep asking the questions and keep doing the research just as you say.  I wanna learn and be informed!

you mention waiting one to two years.  Even though I’m new to HRN, I’ve been researching for a decent while prior to coming on here.  I definitely don’t want to rush into surgery, but I’d also like to enjoy good hair sooner than that (knowing I’d be waiting a additional year after surgery to see full results as well).  

Any thoughts on why you say an a year or two more?

thanks for your insight, Gatsby— helpful as always. 

Update:

VIRTUAL CONSULT WITH DR. TED MILN

I just finished my virtual consultation with Dr. Ted, and first off, I'll just say that he is a GREAT guy.  Incredibly personable, really prioritizes getting to know the patient, understanding how hair loss has impacted them, and getting a truly good feel for what they want to achieve (not only in clinical results, but in their lifestyle).  He's super easy to talk to, really takes his time, and just makes the whole experience enjoyable (sadly, that is not the case with every surgeon).

He also spent a TON of time with me.  I know a surgeon's time is extremely valuable, so I don't take this for granted.  And that time means a lot to me.  Definitely helps me get a good feel for the doctor and my comfort level with him.  I simply would not entrust myself to a doctor for a surgery that will alter my appearance forever-- unless I feel I've had adequate time to understand him, his approach, his character... and for him to get to understand me, my expectations, and my goals.  Dr. Ted gives this time, and his approach to the consultation is exactly what one would want.  That doesn't mean he should be my surgeon (have to evaluate his methods, the surgical plan, and many other factors), but Dr. Ted definitely checks the boxes for a great consult.

Because he gave me so much time, I won't go over everything we talked about (which was all very helpful).  Instead I'll summarize the most important parts for this thread.

I told him my goal for surgery is (within what is practical, safe, and will adequately preserve the donor area and allow for future surgeries if needed), I'd like as much coverage as possible in all the thinning/balding areas.  Priority would be the hairline and mid-scalp, followed by the crown.  This is exactly what I've told every other surgeon/clinic in other consults.

We talked through lots of factors and pros/cons of various approaches (I won't go into all of those), and he would be open to a number of approaches, the choice being mine.  We then focused on one specific approach which he said would likely provide the most comprehensive coverage for me: a 2-day FUT/FUE combo surgery, likely of 5,000 grafts (+/- 10%, giving him flexibility during surgery rather than being tied to a specific number).  He mentioned that one slight reservation he might have to this approach is that I may have a tight scalp (over video it is difficult to determine, but he had me use my fingers to pinch my scalp while he observed, and it seemed to him that I may not have the greatest elasticity).  But he also mentioned that the good of a combo FUT/FUE procedure is that where one method may let the patient down, the other can compensate.  He also mentioned that 2 days of just FUE could potentially overharvest the donor area.  

I discussed with him some of my concerns about FUT (concerned that I might not be able to wear my hair as short as I'd like.  I just got my hair cut yesterday, and I actually the barber use the clippers on even a lower guard than normal, so it is pretty short right now.  He said that if the suture is done right, there is no reason I could not wear my hair as short as I am now, that a grade 2 or 3 guard would not show the scar.  He said that it is not difficult for a surgeon to suture in such a way that produces a good scar-- it is just time consuming.  He said that some surgeons like FUT because they think it is faster, but, he said, FUT is NOT faster if done right.  And he takes his time.  

I asked him why some surgeons offer 2 surgeries on back-to-back days while others offer two surgeries one year apart.  He talked at length about this and hearing his perspective was tremendously helpful.  He said the potential drawback of a 2-day surgery is that you put all your eggs in one basket.  So, if a patient gets an infection or something, well, the infection is impacting both surgeries.  But, he said he has tended toward the 2-day surgery model because it also has advantages-- and the incidence of infection is so astonishingly rare now (he said may 10 cases out of 1500).  And, he said that he prescribes an antibiotic for his 2-day patients, just in case, but does not do so for his 1-day patients.

He confirmed that he is obsessively involved in every stage of surgery.  He does all surgical steps as outlined by the relevant medical/hair loss associations (I missed the initials).  For the FUT, he administers the anesthetic, surgically removes the strip, and makes the incisions in the recipient area.  For the FUE, he does the administers the anesthetic, makes the extractions, and makes the incisions in the recipient area.  He has an in-house team of surgical techs, some of whom have been in the businesses longer than he has and others whom he trained at a previous clinic and brought with him when he struck out on his own.  

He quoted me a price of 13,650 GPB for a 5,000 graft FUT/FUE combo procedure.

I am hoping to schedule an in-person consultation with him (not because anything was lacking in this virtual consult, but because being in-person will obviously allow him to better assess my donor area, the quality of my donor hair, the elasticity of my scalp, and to draw the hairline.  If my schedule and travel allows, I certainly want to have an in-person consult with him.  He said he does not use a densometer, and that he has found that it is actually helpful to not approach the consult too mechanically but rather to take a step back, look at the big picture, and take a more artistic approach.

As you can tell from what I've written here, my interaction with Dr. Ted was entirely positive.  He is a great guy, really listens, and does a great job of thoroughly answering questions (I have found some surgeons tend to wave questions away as if they are unimportant-- not so with Dr. Ted).  

I'm curious though, what do you HRN members think of Dr. Ted's proposed plan?  What do you think of what you have seen on this forum and elsewhere of his work and results?

• CautiousResearcher changed the title to My Journey - Consultations with Surgeons: Ahmad, Arocha, Bisanga, Bosley, De Freitas, Ilea, Laorwong, McGrath, Muresanu, Pittella, Zarev and more
  • Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, CautiousResearcher said:

Any thoughts on why you say an a year or two more?

I say this because when you start researching you discover answers to questions that raise more questions. It's as if the more you know the more you realize what you don't know and so it goes on. The last thing you want is to have had surgery only to regret that you wish you had have held off and had it somewhere else for various reasons that you weren't aware of before you pulled the pin. Also if you are taking finasteride for example, it's best to give it 12 months to see what it can do, before planning on how many grafts you will need and where they are best placed. The problem is that MPB is a moving target over time and you want to get it right the first time. All the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I say this because when you start researching you discover answers to questions that raise more questions. It's as if the more you know the more you realize what you don't know and so it goes on. The last thing you want is to have had surgery only to regret that you wish you had have held off and had it somewhere else for various reasons that you weren't aware of before you pulled the pin. Also if you are taking finasteride for example, it's best to give it 12 months to see what it can do, before planning on how many grafts you will need and where they are best placed. The problem is that MPB is a moving target over time and you want to get it right the first time. All the best!

This 1000%. I had spent almost a year researching before my first surgery and I strongly believe if I had spent 6 more months researching beforehand, I probably would have made a different decision and been armed with more knowledge about HTs and the industry generally.

@CautiousResearcher something to be wary of is you will discover when you research that as you start to develop preferred / favorite surgeons, sometimes that makes you blind to problems and only seeing the positives because you have rosy tinted blinders on by good results that you desperately want for yourself. You may find yourself waving away or rationalizing negative information you find. It’s important to try and recognize that moment and that is the time to redouble on research and really try to ground yourself into making objective observations and well-informed decisions. 

Edited by FormerFutureKrillin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1