Sublingual Minoxidil Solution - questions

Approach

Today I received 2.5g/ml Minoxidil -sublingual Solution.  It calls for putting 1 drop of the solution under my tongue once/day.  Unfortunately, my primary care doctor said she is uninformed about hair loss but wrote the script anyway.  For this reason, I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch to a dermatologist moving forward.  I have several questions for now.  May I ask you "opinion" on:

1) I currently take 2.5 oral Pill of Minoxidil every day.  I also take topical minoxidil.  Now that I'm starting Sublingual, do you think I should stop the pill, the topical, or both?

2) Hypothetically, do you think taking all 3 (oral, sublingual, and topical) will crate a synergistic effect and provide remarkable results?  Or, is it stupid - health wise?  In this sense, I would take lower doses of all three.  

3) My script calls for 1 "drop" of Minoxidil solution?  It's literally the amount of 1/2 a piece of a rice.  For guys taking the sublingual solution version, do you take this tiny of a dose?  I confirmed with pharmacist on the dose; she said take 1 drop. But, it seemed strange since it's such a tiny, tiny bit. (Note the red circle in my picture.)  (The pharmacist acted a bit confused too -- as this was their very first sublingual minoxidil order.)  The wording on the medication bottle said to take it twice a day, even though doctor's script says once/day.  Crazy, I know.

4) Approximately, when do most guys begin to see results on sublingual minoxidil?

Thanks!

20240701_152605.jpg

Edited by Approach

Imo you can stop oral pill if you take sublingual.

To replace 2,5mg oral, I think 1-1.2mg (0.4-0,5ml of your product) sublingual is equivalent in terms of efficacy.

Can you take picture of the ingredient list in your bottle please ? 

Thanks !

Good luck !

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

2 hours ago, arthurSam said:

Imo you can stop oral pill if you take sublingual.

To replace 2,5mg oral, I think 1-1.2mg (0.4-0,5ml of your product) sublingual is equivalent in terms of efficacy.

Can you take picture of the ingredient list in your bottle please ? 

Thanks !

Good luck !

20240701_195929.jpg

20240701_200754.jpg

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Hey @Approach. Just take as prescribed as one drop. It will go through your liver and become systemic. I don't feel that it's really worth also taking it topically if you are taking it orally and I would definitely stop taking this with oral pill minoxidil as you will then be taking double the prescribed dose. When it comes to medication for hair loss it really is best to do it under the guidance of a dermatologist who is prescribing oral minoxidil, etc. All the best!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hey @Approach. Just take as prescribed as one drop. It will go through your liver and become systemic. I don't feel that it's really worth also taking it topically if you are taking it orally and I would definitely stop taking this with oral pill minoxidil as you will then be taking double the prescribed dose. When it comes to medication for hair loss it really is best to do it under the guidance of a dermatologist who is prescribing oral minoxidil, etc. All the best!

Thank you so much.  I tried the sublingual today.  In my case, it felt like side effects began 30 mins after taking it, then lasted 1 hour, then went away.  For this reason, I believe taking it at bedtime will be a better option for me. 

Your point about going to a Dermatologist that actually "prescribes" the medicine (regularly) makes sense.  This was the first time my PCP prescribed it, she said.

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I take my oral minoxidil just before bed also. When you say side effects @Approach what are the symptoms?

I can't truly speak about Sublingual yet...since I only tried it once thus far.  Regarding oral minoxidil though:   I am wondering if it's causing me to have less libido, maybe not though b/c I'm having some stress with some extended family members.

Edited by Approach

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Approach said:

I can't truly speak about Sublingual yet...since I only tried it once thus far.  Regarding oral minoxidil though:   I am wondering if it's causing me to have less libido, maybe not though b/c I'm having some stress with some extended family members.

Sexual dysfunction is not a side effect of minoxidil. 

7 hours ago, Approach said:

20240701_195929.jpg

20240701_200754.jpg

Thanks you !

Regarding dosage, in Brasilia they sell sublingual minoxidil pill at 0.5mg. Also, dosage on different research paper start at 0,5mg and up to 1mg after some months. This is why I think standard dosage is about 1mg... 

Can you keep us informed of what your doctor will do?

Thanks !

Edited by arthurSam
  • Like 1

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

10 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Sexual dysfunction is not a side effect of minoxidil. 

I certainly recognize your point; your research & sources of info -- are always solid. 

I should clarify.  I am referring to firmness.  It's likely psychological.  Ie, my stressful family situation this year mentioned above.  However, when I stopped oral minoxidil for a few days, my firmness improved.  Thus, my confusion.  I'm guessing once my family issues clear, I will have some improvement.  As always, thank you for your feedback 

Edited by Approach

• Moderators

Definitely stop the oral min and I would probably stop the topical as well.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.