Can anything be done for my hairline & head shape?

Posted (edited)

Hi experts at hair restoration network!

My situation: I’ve always had a very high hairline and the oblong head shape adds to that appearance, and the right side lateral hump of my hair has always been less dense (can be seen in pics below) than my left side even since I was a teenager. My temple points I feel are very far forward in comparison to where my hairline is (this is probably due to my skull shape) which adds to a greater imbalanced look when looking at my directly from the front and makes styling my hair in an aesthetic way very difficult to achieve. I feel that if I am to do a hair transplant that in order to improve the aesthetics that on top of rebuilding my hairline I need to also add hair to my lateral temple angle in order to reduce the degree at which my temples slope (see first picture below). To my understanding this is referred to as “temple angle closure”?

My hair loss has really only progressed starting at my temples and slowly worked its way back making them deeper over the years as well as reducing density at my hairline (especially my right side). I feel like I first noticed some hair loss around the age of 26-28 years old (my father slowly transitioned to a norwood 3a/4a over his life and is currently 75 years old without any medications) and at age 30 I started taking 0.5mg Dutasteride daily as well as 5mg oral minoxidil daily. I am currently 35 years old and when I compare pictures that I have taken every 6ish months apart I do not see any discernible difference in my hairline besides more grays popping up (good ol’ aging). I would say my hair loss has been stable for the past couple years.

So what are your thoughts? What norwood do you estimate I am? Is my hairline design reasonable? I want a balanced hairline that gives me styling options and the only way I can see that happening is by rebuilding my hairline as well as closing my temple angles by adding to the sides of my temples to reduce the slope. How many grafts do you estimate? Anything else you’d like to add is also appreciated!

1234566.jpg

Blur-11012024-03.JPG

Blur-11012024-04.JPG

Blur-11012024-05.JPG

Blur-11012024-06.JPG

Blur-11012024-07.JPG

Blur-11012024-08.JPG

Blur-11012024-09.JPG

Blur-12012024-05.jpg

Blur-12012024-06.jpg

Edited by Johnny8989

I would first explore a variety of hairstyles that are well suited for high-foreheads. 

2nd, do some mindful meditation/therapy and understand that no one notices your high forehead except you. Plus you are 35 years old, where it is perfectly acceptable and still attractive to have a high forehead/"mature" hairline. 

That being said, if you must go the hair transplant route, there certainly are plenty of doctors who will take your case, even if you are really not the classic MPB patient. 

If you do decide to go the hair transplant route, the good news is that high forehead patients vs MPB patients - high forehead patients often have a greater % of success, and lack of follow up surgeries needed. 

Hair transplant surgery can be alot more aggressive and have confidence in results if your surgery is not constrained by the limits of MPB. 

But honestly my guy unless you are in show business or a tv anchor, I think reasoning this all out in your mind is much better than surgery. 

Do keep in mind that - even in the best circumstances and even with the best doctor - you absolutely can end up botched which will require a much much much longer, costly, and stressful journey than you could ever imagine. 

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Johnny8989 said:

I’ve always had a very high hairline

You absolutely do not have a high hairline. This is objectively not the case as we can clearly see the facial proportions in your photos. Relative to your facial features, your hairline is actually on the lower to average side. It’s not remotely high.

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I would first explore a variety of hairstyles that are well suited for high-foreheads.

Given the OP does not have a high forehead, this is terrible advice as it reinforces an incorrect belief/perception. 

The distance between the OP’s mid frontal point and glabella is smaller than the distance between the tip of his nose and his chin. 

This is less common in Caucasian males - usually those distances are about the same or the forehead is larger. Given the OP’s forehead is smaller, it’s simply not the case that he has a larger forehead by any reasonable metric. 

2 hours ago, Johnny8989 said:

Anything else you’d like to add is also appreciated!

You have a great head of hair, and excellent hairline and superb temple points. To do anything to them would be an act of madness. As far as styling options go… You seem like finding a really good harder would be a better investment of your money. And in any case, transplanted hair is often harder to manage, so expecting to improve your styling options from your already 100% natural and great current position seems like you’d be setting yourself up for potential disappointment. 

Most people would kill to have your hair and hairline. Don’t put it at risk.

If it ain’t broke…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

Given the OP does not have a high forehead, this is terrible advice as it reinforces an incorrect belief/perception. 

is my advice not the same as yours, that OP should not have surgery?

I also don't understand how you can be so certain OP does not have a high forehead when he has not taken a ruler and measured it. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

• Valued Contributor

In all honesty @Johnny8989 you have a luxurious head of hair. I certainly would not call your hairline high by any means. You would sooner find an honest man in parliament before you needing a hair transplant. The hair you currently have is what the best surgeons in the world aim for but don’t always achieve. Stay on the meds and enjoy your great head of hair and life! 👊🏻

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

is my advice not the same as yours, that OP should not have surgery?

I also don't understand how you can be so certain OP does not have a high forehead when he has not taken a ruler and measured it. 

On multiple occasions in your post you’ve reinforced the idea the OP’s forehead is large, even whilst correctly suggesting surgery isn’t a great idea. That is the part I quoted and responded to. 

You don’t need a ruler. The exact number of centimetres between the mid-frontal point and glabella is largely irrelevant for the reasons I already described in my post. It’s a common misconception that what determines whether a hairline is high or low is to do with centimetres. It isn’t! It’s about aesthetic proportionality and we can see the OP’s proportions: proportionally, his hairline is actually on the lower end of the spectrum. 

• Face Palm 1