Posted (edited)

1) Can someone give a general explanation of Punch Sizes and what patients should know? 

2) heard Dr. Zarev uses a smaller punch than other doctors.  Does this really enable him to extract more grafts and get a more natural result?

3) Should patients encourage doctors to use smaller punches than common ones?  Or, is this the type of topic that is irrelevant?

Thank you :)

Edited by Approach

Posted (edited)

The punch size will vary based on the graft being extracted (within reason).

it’ll depend on your physiology and the size of the graft. If you’re extracting a fine single then there’s more opportunity to use a smaller punch than a thick triple.

Smaller punches will generally produce a smaller scar, and extract less tissue than a larger punch, all things being equal.

All that said, the surgeon will choose after inspecting your head and adjust after they’re started extracting. Some surgeons (like Zarev) will go as small as possible, others prefer a margin of error and go larger.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

The punch size will vary based on the graft being extracted (within reason).

it’ll depend on your physiology and the size of the graft. If you’re extracting a fine single then there’s more opportunity to use a smaller punch than a thick triple.

Smaller punches will generally produce a smaller scar, and extract less tissue than a larger punch, all things being equal.

All that said, the surgeon will choose after inspecting your head and adjust after they’re started extracting. Some surgeons (like Zarev) will go as small as possible, others prefer a margin of error and go larger.

Cool.  That definitely helps.  I appreciate it.

Posted (edited)

Navigating questions related to punch size can be challenging, primarily because there are no standardized measurements in the industry. Many companies market their punches as "0.6 mm," "0.7 mm," or "0.8 mm," but these claims often do not match reality upon measurement. For instance, in the image below, the punch on the left is sold as a "0.7 mm punch," while the punch on the right is a true 0.9 mm punch measured from outside edge to outside edge.

IMG_5572.png

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD
  • Like 3

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

Punch size will be tailored to the patient’s needs. For example the punch size for beard hair is smaller so that scarring is less visible. 

Right. It varies according to hair thickness. As far I know, thicker punches are used for afro patients and curly hair types

Also the smaller the punch the less protective tissue around the follicle and easier to transect. I personally do not see a need to go smaller than 0.75mm. It heals well in the right hands as long as the depth and no elongation of the hole then really most will be even able to shave to 1mm. Anything else for me personally is a gimmick and I have seen people whose clinic claimed 0.45 and 0.65 yet they had 1mm scars.  Afro for example with the C curl under the skin will need 0.9mm more so and even in good hands. 

If people claim to use even smaller then they should punch live at meetings and show this all over the donor and occipital included that contains larger units and lets then see these follicles in-tact removed. As said above the punch has also a wall so what is the outer diameter?

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Punch size will be tailored to the patient’s needs. For example the punch size for beard hair is smaller so that scarring is less visible. 

Exactly, nowadays many candidates look only at the number of the size, but the real essence are the skills of the MD surgeon who will adapt the smallest punch as possible ACCORDING to the type of hair so there won't be UNNESCESSARY transactions.

• Like 3

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic.

For consultation, WhatsApp: +972526542654

Maildoronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2024 at 10:12 AM, Bhumik Shah MD said:

Navigating questions related to punch size can be challenging, primarily because there are no standardized measurements in the industry. Many companies market their punches as "0.6 mm," "0.7 mm," or "0.8 mm," but these claims often do not match reality upon measurement. For instance, in the image below, the punch on the left is sold as a "0.7 mm punch," while the punch on the right is a true 0.9 mm punch measured from outside edge to outside edge.

IMG_5572.png
 Punch sizes determine the diameter of the tool used for hair extraction, with smaller punches often yielding more natural results. Dr. Zarev's use of smaller punches can improve graft extraction and results. Patients should discuss punch sizes with their doctor to align with their specific needs and goals. I needed help with writing dialogue for my story and found https://academized.com/blog/writing-dialogue-the-5-best-ways-to-make-your-characters very useful. The tips and techniques provided in the blog helped me create more realistic and engaging dialogue for my characters. It made a big difference in the overall quality of my story, and I was very happy with the result. The information was easy to understand and apply.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about it before. I appreciate you for sharing this info with us and also for taking the time to write it. :)

Edited by JaniceSandoz