Transplanted hair requires meds for life?

Posted (edited)

Is it true that almost all the hair transplanted properly from the “safe zone” will eventually miniaturize and die within 2-7 years unless finasteride is used continuously for the rest of your life? 

Something to do with recipient site dominance eventually making the transplanted follicle susceptible to DHT over the course of the growth/shed cycle.

As such, It would mean that a HT is not the “permanent” natural fix as advertised unless one submits to also using finasteride the rest of their entire life?

Edited by Newby888

• Newby888 changed the title to Transplanted hair requires meds for life?
Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone know the truth about  that ;) but it's a good question lol

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day (with Melatonin 0.0033%, Fisetin 1%, Resveratrol 2%, NMN 1%, Ginko 1%, Caffein 0.2%)
DHT and Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : Topical dutasteride 0.05% twice a week + Fluridil + Pyrilutamide Koshine826
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm : human Umbilical Chord Exosomes ; see my progress pics here.

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Your hair in the donor is DHT resistant. It’s not DHT proof. Over time you can/may expect to see a slight thinning of transplanted hair if you are not on medication.

Could you tell me why I keep losing transplanted hairs? In 1 year of HT, I have lost 50-60% transplanted Hairs.

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Your hair in the donor is DHT resistant. It’s not DHT proof. Over time you can/may expect to see a slight thinning of transplanted hair if you are not on medication.

Slight thinning would probably be acceptable to most guys:

It is difficult to find pics/videos of guys showing their ht at 5y and 10y. Unfortunately, from the ones I have found, they appear to have lost at least 50%-70% of their transplanted hairs by that time due to recipient domination.

Even the videos/pics at the 2y mark without meds show some fairly shocking donor hair loss relatively soon after those HT.

So is it fair to say, if you dont want to take FIN for life, dont get a HT

1 hour ago, Newby888 said:

Slight thinning would probably be acceptable to most guys:

It is difficult to find pics/videos of guys showing their ht at 5y and 10y. Unfortunately, from the ones I have found, they appear to have lost at least 50%-70% of their transplanted hairs by that time due to recipient domination.

Even the videos/pics at the 2y mark without meds show some fairly shocking donor hair loss relatively soon after those HT.

So is it fair to say, if you dont want to take FIN for life, dont get a HT

It really is all relative to your scalp and hair sensitivity to DHT.

Many patients may not need it, I would say a larger number, but don't want to speculate with bro science what it may be.

To give yourself the best chance of success it is best to use both finasteride and minoxidil as they work synergistically. 

Posted (edited)

Nope, certainly not in my case and all of the medical studies i have read. My HT hair is going strong 12 plus years with no Finasteride.  

All of the science i have read is the transplanted hair will last as long as it would have done in the Donor area.  Which makes sense.  Its more programmed at a DNA level in respect of its DHT sensitivity rather than local factors when transplanted.

I made the decision to come off Finasteride due to doubts over its long terms effects.  Plus my loss pattern was well established and hasn't progressed further.  I have very thick and robust donor and high lateral humps which haven't thinned.  I appreciate this approach won't work for everyone though who are higher on the Norwood scale.

Edited by BaldingBogger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BaldingBogger said:

Nope, certainly not in my case and all of the medical studies i have read. My HT hair is going strong 12 plus years with no Finasteride.  

All of the science i have read is the transplanted hair will last as long as it would have done in the Donor area.  Which makes sense.  Its more programmed at a DNA level in respect of its DHT sensitivity rather than local factors when transplanted.

I made the decision to come off Finasteride due to doubts over its long terms effects.  Plus my loss pattern was well established and hasn't progressed further.  I have very thick and robust donor and high lateral humps which haven't thinned.  I appreciate this approach won't work for everyone though who are higher on the Norwood scale.

You have had how many transplants? Is it possible to show some pics here of the before and after?

how long after the hair transplant(s) did you quit finasteride?

1 hour ago, Newby888 said:

You have had how many transplants? Is it possible to show some pics here of the before and after?

how long after the hair transplant(s) did you quit finasteride?

ive had 3 HT's.  I don't mind sharing pics. PM me. I quit finasteride before any transplants.  Fin actually triggered a huge shed in me which never grew back

@Newby888 do you have any sides taking DHT blockers? if not, what is the issue with taking a pill everyday?

I don't understand how people can take their Adderall,  their Prozac, their Valium, their Ozempic, their blood pressure medication (all of which can cause all of the same side effects if not more than DHT blockers), but when it comes to Fin or Dut people just absolutely refuse

2 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@Newby888 do you have any sides taking DHT blockers? if not, what is the issue with taking a pill everyday?

I don't understand how people can take their Adderall,  their Prozac, their Valium, their Ozempic, their blood pressure medication (all of which can cause all of the same side effects if not more than DHT blockers), but when it comes to Fin or Dut people just absolutely refuse

Not sure about the other drugs you mentioned, but both Fin and Dut have a black label warning from the FDA. Some very bad potentially life-threatening side effects.

49 minutes ago, Newby888 said:

Not sure about the other drugs you mentioned, but both Fin and Dut have a black label warning from the FDA. Some very bad potentially life-threatening side effects.

I assume you've seen the research that done after the black label for finesteride? The study that determined it actually reduced the chance of cancer rather than increased it?

• Moderators
On 7/6/2024 at 5:51 PM, Newby888 said:

Is it true that almost all the hair transplanted properly from the “safe zone” will eventually miniaturize and die within 2-7 years unless finasteride is used continuously for the rest of your life? 

No. That's not true. If you said in 20 to 30 years it will miniaturize and fall out then I'd agree wth it. Of course it depends a lot on your current age and hair loss pattern. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
On 7/7/2024 at 3:30 PM, Newby888 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having any life-threatening side effects from finasteride or dutasteride. Sure there are side effects, but mainly it's loss of erections and low libido.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Transplanted hairs can defintely thin out over time if the patient is not medicated properly. But I believe that they would do so had there been no transplant. I don't think the so-called "recepient zone dominance" has to do with any of this