Dr Rafael De Freitas - 3304 FUs DHI - 30-31 May 2024

Posted (edited)

Greetings yall!

Finally after the long wait of 1 1/5 years I had my first procedure done by dr De Freitas 5 weeks ago.
Since here we help each other and share our experiences I'll document my progress, complications, and overall experience.

I'm 34 years old, diffuse thinner and been losing my hair since 2012 (at least thats when I first noticed it). 
For sure my lifestyle since my teen years progressed my hair loss faster.
I'm planning on getting a second transplant but for now dr. Freitas wants to wait to see and evaluate the results from the first one 
and if the untouched area (crown) gets any better with oral minoxidil.

Hair loss protocol and transplant aftercare

• Once a day 0.5mg dutasteride (Avodart)
  • Once a day 5mg generic oral minoxidil
  • Will start LLLT on the 1 1/5 month mark (because I have the iRestore helmet)
    Vitamins:
  • 1 or 2 capsules a day Complidermol 5α plus (dr Freitas suggested vitamins)
  • Now MSM 2000mg daily
  • Lamberts Glucosamine Complete 1 capsule daily
  • 5gm Folic acid (to boost my hemoglobin)

I know I take a lot of stuff but they are mostly vitamins and minerals 😅

Before I share my pictures and experience with dr. De Freitas and the team, I want to mention that I got a fever 2-3 days after the procedure that lasted for only 2 days from increased inflammation in the lower donor area (my doctor said to me that it is not strange since I had more than 3k punctures) and also had a few swollen lymph nodes behind my ears and neck. Had to take more antibiotics for 7 days since my white cells where 3 times higher the normal amount because of that. De Freitas clinic also monitored me as much as they could of course to be sure. No infections or anything worrisome.

Now, as for the procedure and my overall experience.
Everything was great. Dr. De Freitas did a fantastic job and the same goes for his technicians!
The process was quite relaxing. The only pain I felt was from the anesthesia and that for only like a second with each injection.

First day (30th of May):
1000 grafts where extracted and implanted.
It didn't last long, only a few hours with all the preparations (aftercare instructions, forms that I was required to fill, photos etc.), and the lunch break.

Second day (31st of May):
The rest of the grafts (2304) where extracted and implanted and it was a long one. 
They operated on me twice for the extractions and twice for the implantations, I believe for better graft survivability.

Here is the hair graft report table:

Graft type  |   N of grafts   |   N. of Hairs

1         |          467       |       467

2        |         1307       |      2614

3        |         1347       |      4041

4        |          183        |       732

Total Grafts: 3304
Total Hairs: 7854
Average hairs/graft: 2,37

Now here are some pictures of my head from day 1 till now:

1 month before the procedure:

1.thumb.png.c7e0f0046b6736c03d800d49f5d2d9ea.png

30-31 May:

2.thumb.jpg.34b98898758e74938d53311a5ada5884.jpg

May 2nd (Donor at the back of the head looks already healed...crazy that two days before it looked like I got shot by birdshot pellets):

3.png.7dee9d99f10a8d3e6cd79d8a5e5cca20.png

June 4 - 9 (before complete scab removal):

4.png.684f0f7827d3fca1e9d0a26878f69bd0.png

June 11 - 16 (scab free, right before the shedding starts):

5.png.d2b6aa1a4851e9dda816c5dc478d92b9.png

June 19 - now (shedding):
6.thumb.png.683860a386e76bc3dda5aab30bd68d68.png

Still shedding a bit.

As you can see I had my share of shockloss on both transplated and native hairs. All according to plan though!

That's it for now people! I'll keep you updated!

Peace!

Edited by Mitsen
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Sorry I missed this post, thank you for the incredible write-up. Happy growing 🙏

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Sorry I missed this post, thank you for the incredible write-up. Happy growing 🙏

Thank you man! I'm a follower of your channel and your content has helped me a lot psychologically!

2 hours ago, Hairboy67 said:

Looks good. Very interested in Dr. De Freitas work. Did you travel to see him?

Hello mate! If you mean before the procedure, not I didn't. The consultation was done online via web forms and photos.

19 hours ago, Mitsen said:

Hello mate! If you mean before the procedure, not I didn't. The consultation was done online via web forms and photos.

Where do you live? 

Looks like you dont have any redness, great post very detailed and helpful for the rest of us here. Keep us posted!

Im going to Freitas next month. Wish me luck!

Edited by twoeyes
words
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twoeyes said:

Looks like you dont have any redness, great post very detailed and helpful for the rest of us here. Keep us posted!

Im going to Freitas next month. Wish me luck!

Good afternoon! I do have some redness but only on the hairline and it is almost not noticeable. My guess is, that redness occurs at the spots where you have densely implanted grafts. Since mine where dense only along the hairline (because I had no hairline basicly) that is why I only have redness there.

Dr Freitas is a great choice and everyone here will tell you the same!
My advice is, live the healthiest life you've ever lived at least for the first month. That's what I did and I'm still doing it! It's the best you can do to help those precious grafts receive blood. And of course follow the doctors instructions to the letter!
Now, if the days before the procedure you feel down, stressed etc. (I did), you can check out channels like Melvins, Rolandas and others. Their content will boost your confidence and help you go through it.

Good luck from me!

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Looks like very good donor management. Thanks for posting. Keep us updated. Good luck with the growth.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Καλησπέρα ! Προσπάθησα να σου στείλω προσωπικό μήνυμα αλλά για κάποιο λόγο δεν με αφήνει. Μπορείς να μου στείλεις εσύ γιατι θέλω να σε ρωτήσω ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there!
Well I'm 2 1/2 months after the procedure so I thought It would be pointless to make a post before I even reach the 3rd month where you're supposed to expect the hair to start sprouting, but since you asked I took some hasty pictures of the hairline with multiple light sources. The thing to note is that even though I shedd A LOT, many grafts didn't it seems.
IMG_20240816_132651.thumb.jpg.5dcb72966ead6de067b504597e25adf1.jpg

IMG_20240816_132701.thumb.jpg.1c873bff6221a746b80b1cdfe1742592.jpg

IMG_20240816_132703.thumb.jpg.650658da3c39cbb4eb8cf7cd079f076b.jpg

IMG_20240816_132803.thumb.jpg.5c5eb463e90a5edbffa04463563b4183.jpg

The last picture shows like 90% transplanted hairs and also many new hairs that are comming through.
For a comparison, this was my hairline before my HT:
IMG_20221230_032316.jpg.b06c278c810e05ad562d3187b13432da.thumb.jpg.6a8ab336f9d8dfcee4e5ff8fa79b1e18.jpg

I think it looks promising so far. And again, I'm only 2 and a half months in.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

You have some good growth already for only 3 months.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a paid forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

19 hours ago, Al - Moderator said:

You have some good growth already for only 3 months.

Indeed that's what I was thinking. It's the 3rd month and i think I have close to 50% growth already. The left side is lacking a bit but the right side has some areas that the hair is incredibly dense.

Edited by Mitsen