Topical minoxidil - is it really that bad for the heart?

Whilst I will only ever take medical advice from a doctor, I don’t think that should mean I can’t learn from others experienced on the subject.

I am 29, male and my father had heart issues (high cholesterol) and so did my dads father and my mothers father.

I am athletic, 7.5 hours of training per week and I eat very clean so I do lead a more active lifestyle, however all of the people I mentioned were not overweight and were average. 

based on this, how risky would you say it is for me to take topical minoxidil based on what you know minoxidil can do to the heart? My health is indeed more important than my hair. 

19 minutes ago, Shesayshesay said:

based on this, how risky would you say it is for me to take topical minoxidil based on what you know minoxidil can do to the heart? My health is indeed more important than my hair. 

What does it do to the heart?

8 minutes ago, AB2000 said:

What does it do to the heart?

From what I remember, and please don’t take what I am about to say as factual, but I believe minoxidil will increase your heart rate whilst lowering your blood pressure, causing stress on the heart.

i believe it has a even stronger impact of what I just mentioned if you take the oral form of minoxidil. 

Topical minoxidil does nothing to your hair ( unless you are part of the those select few who have the SULT enzyme in their hair follicles), let alone your heart. The systemic absorption of the drug into your blood stream is negligeable. 

• Administrators

I have been on oral minoxidil for now over a year, and I don't notice any side effects. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is the blood concentrations for topical vs oral. People are tolerating an 80x higher blood concentration with oral over minoxidil and seemingly doing fine (though ofc no studies with oral minoxidil on the impact on the heart long term). I would not be concerned with topical.

image.png.7e275cf4c87bf223ecd3f37e4d482191.png

• Like 2