Third transplant

Hey, 

I am having my third transplant in October. During my consultation with my doctor I discussed medication . I have been on finasteride and topical minoxidil for the past ten years. My crown area has definitely lost some ground in the past year because my wife and I have been trying for a baby so I stopped finasteride for 6 months . My doctor has suggested I try oral minoxidil and dutasteride because I’ve been on finasteride for so long he feels I need to change it. Just would like to hear peoples advice on this and has anyone changed their medication. I have had zero side effects on finasteride. Is it worth trying dutasteride for a few months to see how it goes? 
Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Duke1984 said:

Hey, 

I am having my third transplant in October. During my consultation with my doctor I discussed medication . I have been on finasteride and topical minoxidil for the past ten years. My crown area has definitely lost some ground in the past year because my wife and I have been trying for a baby so I stopped finasteride for 6 months . My doctor has suggested I try oral minoxidil and dutasteride because I’ve been on finasteride for so long he feels I need to change it. Just would like to hear peoples advice on this and has anyone changed their medication. I have had zero side effects on finasteride. Is it worth trying dutasteride for a few months to see how it goes? 

Thanks 

If you're not losing ground once back on fin, I wouldn't recommend trying new medication. The goal should be to take as little medication as possible while still maintaining the results you want, as these are lifelong things.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
14 hours ago, Duke1984 said:

Hey, 

Thanks 

If it were me in your shoes I would follow your doctor's advice. All the best @Duke1984! 👌

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, Fox243 said:

If you're not losing ground once back on fin, I wouldn't recommend trying new medication. The goal should be to take as little medication as possible while still maintaining the results you want, as these are lifelong things.

I would agree with this..👆

While i believe your doctor should be your primary source of guidance for your medication regimen, if you can manage your hair with finasteride without experiencing side effects, it may be best to continue with it. However, it might be helpful to seek a second opinion from another experienced doctor and than take your decision.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

12 hours ago, Fox243 said:

I do feel like I’ve lost some ground over the past 2 years. I think I might try switching for a few months to see how I get on with different medication and see how it goes . 

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 3:59 PM, Fox243 said:

The goal should be to take as little medication as possible while still maintaining the results you want, as these are lifelong things.

Dutasteride seems to have less side effects than finasteride because it blocks isoenzymes more evenly. One solution could be staying on fin and adding 1x dut per week.

Edited by 4chanhrn

If you only lost ground once you got off Fin then it’s doing its job. As others have said it would be sensible to jump back on that first. If the loss you think was happening before you got off it then yes re evaluate. If you do switch meds just do one at a time. Ie swap Dut for Fin. Then later add Oral Min, so if you do get sides you can work out which one is triggering you (Hopefully you don’t but it’s always best to be cautionary when adding multiple meds)

There are very limited studies of Dutasterides and long term effects in relation to hair loss use. So treat it as a last resort.

As ever always go with a medical experts opinion though. So maybe a second Dr’s opinion might be a good idea